Consumer rights with new contract

I would like to take out a new SIM only contract with Three but after looking at their coverage map I'm worried I would be on 3G instead of 4G with the data allowance.

If I buy the SIM online do I still get my right to cancel within 14 days if I am?

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    iapetus52 wrote: »
    I would like to take out a new SIM only contract with Three but after looking at their coverage map I'm worried I would be on 3G instead of 4G with the data allowance.

If I buy the SIM online do I still get my right to cancel within 14 days if I am?

Seems so https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/phone-internet-downloads-or-tv/cancelling-a-phone-tv-internet-or-mobile-contract/ but as you seem to be well aware of what you are buying and the coverage provided why would you?
  • iapetus52
    iapetus52 Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 26 August 2017 at 9:05AM
    I live right on the edge of 4G indoor and outdoor and 4G outdoor only. Most of the data will be used for tethering.

IIRC you don't have to give a reason for canceling under the cooling off period. If I told them it was because I was on 3G they might say I have seen their coverage map so don't have that right.
  • 4G doesn't necessarily equate to high speed. I'm on Three with an iPhone SE. In places at quiet times I've had 76 Mb/s download on a test. However, at home I have a "3 bar" 4G signal and even in the early hours it only runs about 12 Mb/s, which isn't much different to a good 3G signal.

As you will be aware, mobile phone data rates depend on how many are using a particular site at the same time you are, how good the connection is from the site into the infrastructure and how strong the signal is. Older phones may not have the performance on 4G compared to newer models too, the Three coverage check web page has a drop down box with various models which may help.

The Rootmetrics app shows actual user measurements of data speeds for all four networks, I find the iPhone app better than their web site.

I would be inclined to get a PAYG SIM and try it first.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would be inclined to get a PAYG SIM and try it first.
    ... Which is very easy and costs nothing, just order a Data Reward SIM with free 200MB/mth:

https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order

You need to have the SIM in the device that you are using to register.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Thanks for the replies.

I would rather take out the contract than order a PAYG SIM, spend a tenner trying it, then order the contract, the deal might expire.

Just want to know if I have the right to cancel it if I am unhappy.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    You can cancel within 14 days without reason IF ordered on-line or by phone; that may be different if you've used the phone or sim, but others will advise on that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure