Reducing Debt - being accountable and taking responsibility

Options

Comments

• DrSpendLittle
    Options
    You're doing really well, that's a lot to pay off in a few months :).

Thanks HDD, feels more since I did the end of July calculation! Looking forward to getting back on track in the new year once all these insurances / dental / housey costs have passed!
  • DrSpendLittle
    Options
    Hi peeps!

Not too much to report on the debt slaying front from over the weekend - its that quiet post-payday slump. Still feeling energised from last months round up and the annual debt repayment totals I'm managed for 2017.

This is the first Christmas since... probably ever, that I've not used my credit card to cover the cost of. Yay. Still wish I could have got my CC2 balance below £8K before the end of the year, but I'm happy to forfeit that for the reward of paying unexpected expenses from my salary and not having to CC them. Dodged a bullet there and I've YNAB to thank for some colourful accounting.

I'll have to wait for 'Sub 8k' on January 1st.

I'm still waiting on our contents insurance renewal quote, so I'm looking forward to getting that sorted soon. Must not forget to do the dreaded Inventory Of Stuff.

I've just one pressie left to buy for xmas - for DF, but he's being indecisive so he'll be getting a piece of coal and a satsuma if he doesn't make his mind up! I've already bought all the xmas booze and chocolates I'll need for various family visits, so I'm confident my budget will hold tight on the remaining pressie. DF can cover his beer and any other wine he wants.

This month I shift onto a 12 month sim only contract with my mobile provider. I've managed to negotiate a bargainous £5.99 monthly plan deal that gets me 1GB data, 1000 mins and unlimited texts. I already get a 5gb data boost from having broadband/home phone with the same supplier, so have no worries on mobile data. I had initially budgeted for the £10.99 monthly plan but after my 'I reeeeeally want to stay with you but I have to find a deal that best suits my needs and price point' schmooze fest, they gave me a £10 loyalty bonus on a £15.99 monthly plan, so I consider that an MSE win!

Wait.... maybe I should have negotiated a £10 loyalty discount on the £10.99 monthly plan.... :rotfl: Anyway, here's hoping my handset holds out!

I've got a work visit in January that can't be pre paid so I've used CC3 to book 'cheaper in advance' travel costs and will 'refund' myself when January's pay comes through and then claim back the cost asap after the visit.

DSL :j
  • DrSpendLittle
    Options
    So, I've bitten the PA bug and in just 1.5 evenings of being 'active' on the site, I've made £16.32!

I've actually quite enjoyed it. But I'm sure the novelty will wear off eventually and I can't see myself being a 'survey' person to raise extra dosh.

However, for the odd few hours here and there where I have my MacBook open and I'm working on something computer-based and in need of a distraction/procrastination, it may well come in handy. Better that aimlessly surfing the web, which is a habit that I must break.

I'm using all my cashback for treats - stuff I can't buy on a day to day basis whilst debt slaying. This will most likely be clothes :rotfl:
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Pa is one of the better survey sites. Some of the studies are really interesting and unusual and not commercial. I'm a. It fed up of 'what do you/don't you like about this advert' type surveys.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Shelbi
    Shelbi Posts: 744 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hiii DSL:hello:

Just been catching up on your diary, really is inspiring!! Youve made incredible progress since your LBM and I love the monthly reflection post like mini audits. They are fab...sorry to hear about your family member I hope they get better soon and wish them good health! congratulations on the new phone contract thats a serious bargain:money: what a great position to close the year with..you've got this *cheers from the sidelines*:T:T

Shelbi x
    DFD-01.03.2018:starmod: :beer::T
    Maternity Savings- £2000/£10,000
    Emergency Fund- £1,000/£5,000
    House Deposit- £0/£25,000.
    NSD November 2/30
    Make £5 per day- £128.48/£155
  • redofromstart
    Options
    That's really good going on the PA stuff, they rarely seem to have anything for me now.
  • DrSpendLittle
    Options
    Redo - spoke too soon, The PA Drought has hit DSL towers!

I've £8.06 ready to cash out plus £8.30 pending approval but only had a handful of studies yesterday.

Hoping it picks back up as I quite like the idea of funding a clothes / treat budget based purely on surveys!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,595 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Looks like you have met your target of paying off £4k by January then. Getting your last credit card below £8k will be good too. Are you still planning on moving next year?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • DrSpendLittle
    Options
    Hi Enthusiastic, my initial £4K target related only to CC repayments so technically not achieved that but I knocked it on the head last month due to unexpected costs! Still, I'll take the overall £4K repayment goal being achieved :D

Yes, still planning on bringing our house to market in January but we've got a bit of decoration to do before then. The plumber has done a grand job but we do need to touch up the place! And get the carpets cleaned as they are desperately in need of it!

I feel a less urgent need to clear the debt immeditely than I initially documented back in early September, largely because DF now knows about it but also, it turned out not to be the Big Negative for a mortgage application that I initially expected. I'm also enjoying budgeting and 'cash flowing' major expenses so I'm overall feeling much more positive about my financial health. So much so that I've decided from Feb to put £250 aside each month into an EF. This pushes my DFD to August but, after last month, I feel l need a 'cushion' for unexpected expenses.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    A savings cushion is a good idea. I'm obsessed with saving now because I'm so scared of getting into debt again :o.

You sound like you've had a big attitude shift since your light bulb moment :).

PA is good but can be irregular.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport