Reducing Debt - being accountable and taking responsibility

Options
1636465666769»

Comments

• DrSpendLittle
    Options
    I'm sorry about the house falling through, but given all the messing around I can't help but feel it is a blessing in disguise . I wish you could claim back your expenses, though. :mad:

Enjoying where you are and paying down the mortgage seems like a sensible thing to do and will mean more equity when you do find the next house.
    Merry Christmas if we don't bump into each other before then! :beer:
    P. S. Whatever the big treat you wanted is, is is worth waiting until the January sales to get it?

Thanks Positive Balance! :) I wish I had ticked the 'abortive transaction insurance' box when signing the instructions forms. A lesson to anyone reading - do it!!

Hope you have a lovely xmas too!! :beer:
  • DrSpendLittle
    Options
    Sounds like a sensible focus to me. Since we cleared the short term debt I have focused on clearing the long term debt aka mortgage, even just a small rounding down payment each month is a step in the right direction. Sounds like you are in a position to do far more than that too.

Renovations - excitement! If you are looking for inspiration remember your library card will give you free access via an App to most of the 'house' magazines, with the added advantage that you can screen shot your inspiration pictures, rather than have a dirty great stash of magazines gathering dust.

Yes I'm super excited Redo. I have two sets of builders booked in for January already and I'm going to get some paint testers to start thinking about new colours soon!

Thanks so much for the library card / subscription heads up! I had no idea! I will most definitely look into that! :beer:
  • DrSpendLittle
    Options
    Hi DSL, I was wondering how you were getting on, with visions of you moving on Christmas Eve or something ridiculous like that.

What a nightmare with the vendors though - fancy getting that far and changing your mind??

Renovating could be fun - although I am fed up of it now (we'll, actually, I'm fed up of a dithering husband who can't crack on with getting stuff done.)
    We are sooooo close to finishing the living room and dining room. It could have been done this week if he'd pulled his finger out grrrr. Now I've either got to wait until the new year for the dining room floor to be done, or hubby will do it at some point (and probably make a half arsed effort at it as usual) - sorry, I shouldn't winge in your diary. I'm sure yours will be fine.

Aha, frustrations with dithering husband same here! DF is a 'let me think about it and explore every conceivable option before making a decision' kind of person whilst I'm totally the opposite so we both get frustrated about the speed at which decisions are made!

I'm sure you'll be super happy when its all done though!

Looking forward to joining you on the mortgage overpayment journey - need to get DF into the new way / joint finances / intentional spending frame of mind. Will take a bit of time and there will be teething problems but I'm happy for him to make his own way there. Just so long as its sooner rather than later :rotfl:
  • DrSpendLittle
    Options
    P. S. Whatever the big treat you wanted is, is is worth waiting until the January sales to get it?

Yes, thats the plan :) I've already got my eye on it and will wait and see what offers come up in the next few days / weeks. Eeeek! :D
  • DrSpendLittle
    Options
    It's been payday so my January budget has been done and I've been allocating spends for the coming month. I'm going to get back to the traditional way of budgeting in the new year and fill all my line items. I'd been piling cash into house move savings and taking ££s back out as and when I needed then (for a hair cut, car service etc) but now I want to start doing the budget properly again. I also need to do a joint budget in the new year and officially join our finances. That requires opening up a joint account so it can wait.

Xmas preparations are nearly done - pressies all bought and we're visiting my family this weekend to do our xmas as we're now spending xmas with DF's family this year. I find xmas exhausting as we seem to spend most of it travelling around and visiting others! I end up needing another break by the new year!

Finances going okay - taken a bit of a beating with booking in builders, paying deposits etc plus I seem to have done all the xmas shopping so DF needs to give me money to cover his pressies.

Other than that, I need to sit down with DF and set some financial goals so we can begin to organise our finances and make every £ count. We need a system for savings, renovation funds, household spending etc. All that can come in the new year. He is very keen and open to it so that helps. I'm looking forward to it :)

In the spirit of being honest, I did a terribly non-MSE thing and let my house insurance auto renew :eek: I know, I know! But it was the last thing I wanted to be bothered with as it would have involved getting DF to write down a list of items that need special mention in the quote (he seems to have accumulated quite the collection of things!), which he just hasn't been in the mood to do. I will definitely not be auto renewing next year but after the past few months, I thought I'd give myself a pass :o
  • DrSpendingLittle
    Options
    This is the new me! 
    My account can't be recovered due to the forum change  :(:(:(  I changed my email address just after I signed up in 2017 and its confused their system so it wont recover me. The forum team tried but can't do anything.
    I'm a bit sad about losing my debt free badge as I was super proud of having that  :'( 
    Anyway, not one to mope! I've set myself up under the new username DrSpendingLittle  :D  See what I did there  ;)
    So, swing by and rejoin my on my journey - I've yet to set up a new diary but I will be doing that and getting back into the swing of things soon - I have been away for most of January on a extended and very well timed holiday  B) but I now need to knuckle back down and get my savings back up to scratch. 
    🤭 Debt on 1st August 2017: £13,985.17
    🥳 Debt free date: 29th March 2019 (see my debt free journey)
    🌟 Making plans and spending as little as possible along the way 🌟

• DrSpendingLittle
    Options
    Okay, I'm all set up on my new diary DrSpendingLittle's New Home - staying accountable and responsible - swing by say hi :blush:
    🤭 Debt on 1st August 2017: £13,985.17
    🥳 Debt free date: 29th March 2019 (see my debt free journey)
    🌟 Making plans and spending as little as possible along the way 🌟

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport