Loaned £5,500 to a friend, ignored for months, what are my options

Options

Comments

• arichmond64
    arichmond64 Posts: 1,608 Forumite
    Options
    amfan wrote: »
    However cross at her you may be, and however much you want your money back, it is not her parents responsibility and it is not their debt to repay. They most likely are shocked, and they probably feel very sorry for you. But them being "well off" does not mean they have to repay her debt. Sadly you have learned the hard way why you never lend what you aren't prepared to never see again.

They'll be shocked when Mr Can't Pay we'll Take it Away guy comes to take the stuff from their house :money:
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    Sorry you had to learn this the hard way.

A five minute check on these boards would have shown you this happens on a weekly basis.

The golden rule is don't lend money you cannot afford to lose/wouldn't give if asked for.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    They'll be shocked when Mr Can't Pay we'll Take it Away guy comes to take the stuff from their house :money:

It doesn't work like that unfortunately. If you win your case, you will then need to pay out even more money (in the hundreds) to send in bailiffs and even then they can only take her possessions, not her parents.

And if you pay out even more money for an attachment of earnings order, it still doesn't mean anything especially if she is self-employed as she can just pay herself a lower amount to avoid having to pay you back or the amount would be reduced to something silly like £20 per month.

Best of luck getting your money back, it would be nice if you kept the thread updated of your progress or how the story ends.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Unfortunately it's not the parents who you lent the money too, a bit unfair on the parents imo.
  • arichmond64
    arichmond64 Posts: 1,608 Forumite
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's not the parents who you lent the money too, a bit unfair on the parents imo.

I understand this, what I mean is I'd like to think a decent parent would be a little more proactive in helping to resolve the situation, after all it will be their house which the baliffs go to eventually and her daughter who won't be able to get a mortgage or move out when she's got a CCJ against her name.
  • NCC-1701
    NCC-1701 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I understand this, what I mean is I'd like to think a decent parent would be a little more proactive in helping to resolve the situation, after all it will be their house which the baliffs go to eventually and her daughter who won't be able to get a mortgage or move out when she's got a CCJ against her name.

I suspect the daughter owes the parents a whole lot more than £5.5k already.
  • amfan
    amfan Posts: 108 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options

The bailiffs won't go after her parents house for her unpaid debt. And eventually she will be able to gain both a rental or a mortgage once her credit file has repaired. Having children does not mean that you are responsible for all the debts they rack up. Would you expect your parents to step in if you decide you don't want to pay your credit card? I understand you're angry, but you have to look at this logically and turning up on her door expecting her parents to pay you back is certainly not logical.
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options

And when the Bailiffs get shown receipts showing that the items belong to someone other than the debtor, you'll be paying their bills, with nothing to show for it.

The person involved is an adult, and their parents are not responsible in any way, and you're being churlish to suggest that they should be acquiescing to your potential threats of sending the bailiffs round. They don't need to help at all, so stop thinking they should.

You're fully entitled to seek a claim in the county court, and likely escalated to the High Court, to get this money back. However, it looks like you've been duped and if the person involved hasn't got the money, you're in bother.

You say they run their own business. Is the persona sole trader or personally liable for the business? if so, it may be possible to get a HCEO to seize business assets to pay the debt. You need to seek legal advice however and be prepared to not get a penny back, especially if the person is in mega debt already.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,913 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 23 August 2017 at 3:14PM
    Options
    Candyapple wrote: »
    It doesn't work like that unfortunately. If you win your case, you will then need to pay out even more money (in the hundreds) to send in bailiffs and even then they can only take her possessions, not her parents.

Not strictly true, if you obtain a CCJ against her in the county court, you can then transfer up to the High court straight away for a fee of £66.

https://dcbltd.com/debt-recovery/

You can then engage DCBL (stars of cant pay well take it away) to visit her to enforce the judgement.

Visiting her commercial premises will most likely be the best bet.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The debtor is described as a 'venue stylist': not my area of expertise, but I doubt that her commercial premises, if any, contain assets worth £5,500. A car is the most promising item to be seized, but of course may be on finance.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport