Loaned £5,500 to a friend, ignored for months, what are my options

Options

Comments

• arichmond64
    arichmond64 Posts: 1,608 Forumite
    edited 23 August 2017 at 6:16PM
    Options
    amfan wrote: »
    The bailiffs won't go after her parents house for her unpaid debt. And eventually she will be able to gain both a rental or a mortgage once her credit file has repaired. Having children does not mean that you are responsible for all the debts they rack up. Would you expect your parents to step in if you decide you don't want to pay your credit card? I understand you're angry, but you have to look at this logically and turning up on her door expecting her parents to pay you back is certainly not logical.

Please stop with the lecture.

If this was me I'd expect my parents to give me a kick up the backside and attempt to get me to sort it out, rather than just burying their heads in the sand and letting me do the same.

Also, she lives with parents, please read all posts before chipping in
  • arichmond64
    edited 23 August 2017 at 6:29PM
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    The debtor is described as a 'venue stylist': not my area of expertise, but I doubt that her commercial premises, if any, contain assets worth £5,500. A car is the most promising item to be seized, but of course may be on finance.

She has plenty of assets at her business premises, but probably not for that amount, along with a car which was paid for in cash and is worth over the debt amount
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    edited 24 August 2017 at 8:41AM
    Options
    Please stop with the lecture.

If this was me I'd expect my parents to give me a kick up the backside and attempt to get me to sort it out, rather than just burying their heads in the sand and letting me do the same.

Also, she lives with parents, please read all posts before chipping in

And what if they have actually spoken to the person, or know that that debt is just another in a long list and thus cannot do anything to get the money?

You're not psychic, and you have no idea if said kick up the proverbial has happened or not. You're just assuming they aren't doing anything because no money has appeared. Then proceeding to threaten them indirectly by saying that you'll be sending the bailiffs to their home is clearly because you want them to pay then deal with their daughter themselves.

They do not have to do that, and you know what? If they want to tell you to get lost, they're within their rights to do so. It has nothing legally to do with them, so you involving them is a form of harassment, and I'd advise you cease any communication with them if all you intend to do is try to bully or shame them into getting this "sorted".

Use the legal route, and use any assets the person who owes you money as leverage. Anything else is not just irrelevant but frankly not right.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 August 2017 at 8:51AM
    Options
    I understand this, what I mean is I'd like to think a decent parent would be a little more proactive in helping to resolve the situation, after all it will be their house which the baliffs go to eventually and her daughter who won't be able to get a mortgage or move out when she's got a CCJ against her name.

I see your point, maybe they know what shes like and know they wont get the money back if they did pay on her behalf.
  • arichmond64
    edited 24 August 2017 at 12:23PM
    Options
    StopIt wrote: »
    And what if they have actually spoken to the person, or know that that debt is just another in a long list and thus cannot do anything to get the money?

You're not psychic, and you have no idea if said kick up the proverbial has happened or not. You're just assuming they aren't doing anything because no money has appeared. Then proceeding to threaten them indirectly by saying that you'll be sending the bailiffs to their home is clearly because you want them to pay then deal with their daughter themselves.

They do not have to do that, and you know what? If they want to tell you to get lost, they're within their rights to do so. It has nothing legally to do with them, so you involving them is a form of harassment, and I'd advise you cease any communication with them if all you intend to do is try to bully or shame them into getting this "sorted".

Use the legal route, and use any assets the person who owes you money as leverage. Anything else is not just irrelevant but frankly not right.

They could simply contact us and say this, i.e. it's nothing to do with us.

I'm not asking them to pay, I'd like to think they could help mediate it in some way, atleast let us know what is going on from their side, have they spoke with her about it, what has she said?

It's also not an indirect thread, if it goes as far as bailiffs, where will they go? To their home.
  • bearcat16
    bearcat16 Posts: 339 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lending money to friends and family... my advice from experience is to treat it as a gift. If you get repaid, consider that a bonus.

The parents don't owe you anything. They don't have to help you, they don't even have to talk to you.
  • Kidder81
    Kidder81 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's a bonus that she lives with her parents. If a claim gets as far as collection, their stuff is at risk unless they can prove its theirs. Might focus their minds!

Get a small claims court claim in. What have you got to lose?
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If I could afford to throw £5,500 at someone I didn't know, I'd also be happy to spend a few hundred extra to chase them as far as possible for it back, even with a low chance of success.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,656 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nail her !!!..
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Steve_GP220
    Options
    Being Welsh, I know for a fact that communications there have improved significantly in the last 50 yrs. Post is good, BT phone system is good, and even the cell phone networks give very good coverage. I communicate with family members in Wales all the time. There's internet, emails and social media - and Wales is included in all of that!

Also - I've seen Judge Rinder take text messages as a form of contract in some of his cases. So no worries there! Don't hesitate, take her to small claims court. It seems to me this was a deliberate deception and any Judge would see it. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure