Do you have a cleaner?

Options
ibizafan_2
ibizafan_2 Posts: 920 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
According to Radio 4 Woman's Hour today, a third of us employ a cleaner. I never have, although my single son in London does, and my elderly parents (86, 90) have been persuaded to recently, and are thrilled by the whole thing. I was just interested in hearing from others here on whether you are one of the 'third'. I am quite sure that when I get a lot older, I will be joining the group.

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,723 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Well, I'm on the wrong side of 60 and retired, don't have a cleaner.

I think I'd be more inclined to employ a Gardner than a cleaner.

Maybe I'll get a cleaner when I'm not so fit & able to do it myself.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,516 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I hate housework with a passion. So yes I have a cleaner, it's a luxury that I can afford only once a month, but I make up for it in other MSE ways!
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    my wife married one!
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i wouldn't consider a cleaner as housework keeps me fit. However, I do hate housework.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,763 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, we do. My OH and I both have full time careers and she has two kids at home. When the weekend arrives we have far better things to do than clean the house.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    Yes, I have a cleaner. In fact, she was here just this morning. She comes for 2 hours a week, and basically hoovers and dusts, and cleans the bathroom. She charges £12.50 an hour.

Several factors came together that resulted in me taking her on (she's been coming for about a year now)
    - a new Aldi opened nearby, meaning I no longer needed to use Sainsbury's. I reckon I'm saving £25 a week.
    - my OH worked in India for a while. It seemed to be part of the culture that, if you could afford it, you should pay someone else to do certain things for you. Doing them yourself meant you were effectively denying work to someone else.
    - I had a bad hip, which made carrying the hoover up and down stairs quite difficult (although it's since got better..)
    - I work from home, and my time is better spent working on the business than on housework.
    - I've never particularly enjoyed housework (although I do like a nice clean house) - I realised I wouldn't get to heaven any quicker by doing it myself.

It's a funny thing - people are very judgemental of women who employ a cleaner. As if we 'should' do it ourselves. No-one thinks twice about me employing a window cleaner, or taking my car to the car wash, or even getting my eyebrows waxed - but deary me, you would think the world was about to end when they hear I have a cleaner!

Look how many ways I've felt I had to justify it! But taking the car to the car wash? It's perfectly OK to just say, 'Nah, can't be a***d doing it myself'.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Ronaldo_Mconaldo
    Options
    I'd definitley not look down on it, I'd consider it but would pretty much come unstuck on the practicalities. Would they have a key to let themselves in and out during the day when you're at work? What could they get done in their time? Change the beds? Clean the bathrooms? Put all the washing on?

Would you be able to totally trust them? Another problem I'd have is that nobody would be able to do as goid a job as me.

Might think about it though as it would be time saved that could be spent doing more important things.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,014 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Another problem I'd have is that nobody would be able to do as goid a job as me.

My cleaner does a better job than me, that's why I have a cleaner.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Ronaldo_Mconaldo
    Options
    There is that, I suppose. You'd just have to trust that. I might have a think about it, someone to come in for few hours a week to save me having to do them.
  • GBNI
    GBNI Posts: 576 Forumite
    Options
    I would have a cleaner if I could afford it and they were brave enough to deal with my dogs :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure