Marriage brake down

Hi advice please.. my husband and I had major fall out at weekend he is now looking for somewhere to rent..
We are in rented accommodation and not sure when he will be leaving problem I have is he usually pays rent etc I'm pretty sure he won't be when it comes around on 1st September... Am I within my rights to contact tax credits etc to get my cash flow sorted or not untill he moves out??

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you are married you would claim tax credits as a couple until such times as you separated under a court order or separated in circumstances that are likely to be permanent.
    I expect it will be difficult to prove permanent separation whilst living in the same property
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    If you are married you would claim tax credits as a couple until such times as you separated under a court order or separated in circumstances that are likely to be permanent.
    I expect it will be difficult to prove permanent separation whilst living in the same property

You can be separated in circumstances which are likely to be permanent while still being under the same roof. You certainly don't need there to be a court order or a divorce.

I would suggest that you contact the tax credits office and ask them.

Also speak to your husband to ask him what his proposals are in terms of the rent etc.

Once he moves out,if you have children who will be staying with you then he would have to pay child support - it may be that you and he could agree that he would pay September's rent and you agree to delay claiming child support for the first month or so.

However, it's likely that he will be having to pay a deposit and first month's rent upfront so will also need cash - do either of you have any savings?
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure