I am locked into an 18 month sky contract - HELP!

Options

Comments

• ginnza
    ginnza Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You misunderstood me
    This happened a few weeks ago
    My tv was in contract till march next year and my broadband was out of contract
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sng165 wrote: »
    new customers, same deal is around £62 - I've thrown that at them to no avail

No need is their as you agreed the price for 18 months .
    If you move your Line Rental and Broadband i don't see you as being much better off and you could be paying for a TV services you have no way of watching .

If it was me i would cancel the out of contract stuff by signing up to a new provider and see if Sky come back on your My Sky with an offer . Downside is they may well just accept your move leaving you with the TV contract to pay off .
  • makemesumdosh
    Options
    i would call Sky and state because they aren't prepared to move and discount your TV element you are going to move they broadband/home phone, talk package. Do your homework and tell them who you are moving to and how much the cost is.

I have been with Sky for a few years and never paid for broadband. I just threaten to leave and they then give it to me for free. one 1 occasion they refused so I started the process to move to talktalk who have shocking customer services but once Sky got wind thet rang me and offered it for free.

I would suggest doing this, hold fire on the TV, wait for them to announce a price rise and then see if the get out clause kicks in
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ginnza wrote: »
    I would place a order with a new provider to take over the line for broadband maybe bt
    Who have some good offers on ATM and that will trigger sky to call you or give you a 'reason ' to call them after you have place to a order to check they have recieved the transfer ok and then you can discuss your options of keeping the broadband and tv from a position of strength

That's actually a very good suggestion, to keep the OP as a LR/BB customer they may be pliable where the TV deal is involved although it would start a new contract.

sng165 wrote: »
    new customers, same deal is around £62 - I've thrown that at them to no avail

New customers LR/BB unlimited is currently £20 a month ( a new price level but it goes up and down frequently) which is less than you're paying for that portion.
  • ginnza
    ginnza Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used uswitch to sign up to BT and also used the £150 prepaid MasterCard as leverage when negotiating to come back to sky fibre
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    i
    I would suggest doing this, hold fire on the TV, wait for them to announce a price rise and then see if the get out clause kicks in

No price rise on TV then no get out .
    Price rise on Line rental or Broadband will not be a get out as user does not have Sky for those services .
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I believe that the OP does have Sky line rental and BB.
  • onesixfive
    onesixfive Posts: 485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice folks - very much appreciated :)

I'd never thought of splitting the bill!

After a couple of calls last night - I moved the broadband & talk element away from Sky & saved £10 month (plus I got £90 on topcashback) : thats £210 over 12 months

Following that, Sky then reduced my bill by over £11 a month on the remaining Sky element : that £154 saved over remaining 14 months

Coupled with the £10 a month I've saved on Gas/Elec (plus £50 cashback) - thats over £500 saving !

Thank you :)
  • superbigal36
    Options
    Have not read all the posts but am suprised you were tied into an 18 month contract when you negotiated your 30% TV discount.
    Are you sure ?
    Reason I ask is. I would be ecstatic to tie in for 18 month or 24 month whenever I renegotiate.
    They only ever allow me 12 month though.
    Granted that is always at least 50%
  • onesixfive
    onesixfive Posts: 485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just one final thing
    Spent time going through paperwork looking for this elusive 18 month contract
    Since Sky don't sent things by snail-mail anymore, I've trawled emails (yes I save everything!), & I can prove I haven't received/read it.
    I have an email box I used solely for my Sky (long story - I have to sort mums affairs & we cant run both out of one email)
    It's transpired, my "Sky" email box hasnt been working properly since February, so when this new contract was sent in April, I've not received nor read it - Is this my get-out clause??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure