IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Eye PCN: 10 minutes over

Options

Comments

• snarffie
    snarffie Posts: 449 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That put a shudder down the spine!! :eek:
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    snarffie wrote: »
    That put a shudder down the spine!! :eek:

Yup. If you read back over a few pages there must be half a dozen posts a week asking how to get rid of a default ccj.

PE send mountains of paperwork to both you and POPLA all designed to make you think you can't win at appeal. The fact is though the simple templates off here win nearly every time.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 16 August 2017 at 3:23PM
    Options
    snarffie wrote: »
    Another question: Why doesn't the initial appeal text (blue text referred to in post #3 of the newbies thread) not also mention the charge as being unreasonable for a 10 minute overstay, or is that irrelevant?
    Irrelevant - the ParkingEye v Beavis case in 2015, killed the argument that the charge is disproportionate/no loss suffered. Terrible isn't it? The Supreme Court should be ASHAMED.

PE explained this in a covering letter, (dated 9th August) which came with the PCN (dated 17th June) to out current address. The letter states that they had used a CRA to find us.

My question is, will this have any bearing on our appeal?
    I suggest that has a good bearing on your case!

As long as you only appeal as registered keeper now.

You have proof from that tracing letter, that PE failed to serve a NTK on you by day 15 - there is no excuse for missing the POFA deadline (not even because you moved and failed to update the V5) - the consequence is, they can't hold you liable as keeper now. The tracing letter will need to be included as evidence in your POPLA appeal in due course, to argue the 'no keeper liability' point (as well as the rest). Not at this stage though.

At this stage, the keeper just appeals, using the template. Nothing more. And if PE write and ask who was driving, ignore that letter. We know what we are doing.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »

I suggest that has a good bearing on your case!

As long as you only appeal as registered keeper now.

You have proof from that tracing letter, that PE failed to serve a NTK on you by day 15 - there is no excuse for missing the POFA deadline (not even because you moved and failed to update the V5) - the consequence is, they can't hold you liable as keeper now. The tracing letter will need to be included as evidence in your POPLA appeal in due course, to argue the 'no keeper liability' point (as well as the rest). Not at this stage though.

At this stage, the keeper just appeals, using the template. Nothing more. And if PE write and ask who was driving, ignore that letter. We know what we are doing.

But OP wrote
    It looks as though we hadn't updated the V5 after moving, so the PCN originally went to our old address according to ParkingEye. PE explained this in a covering letter, (dated 9th August) which came with the PCN (dated 17th June) to out current address. The letter states that they had used a CRA to find us.

I can't agree with you this time. As long as the NtK was served at the DVLA held address within 14 days, they fulfilled POFA requirements. The fact that RK had moved and their DVLA details were not updated is not the PPC's fault.

Op is lucky that the current residents seem to have sent "No longer at this address" to PPC
    (4) The notice must be given by:
    (a) handing it to the keeper, or leaving it at a current
    address for service for the keeper, within the
    relevant period; or
    (b) sending it by post to a current address for service
    for the keeper so that it is delivered to that
    address within the relevant period.
    (5) The relevant period for the purposes of sub-paragraph
    (4) is the period of 14 days beginning with the day after
    that on which the specified period of parking ended

Elsewhere in the Act it specifies what address is the registered address and that it is the one held at the time by the DVLA.

Quentin's post above highlights just how lucky OP was.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    the OP better get that address changed ASAP , otherwise it can lead to a "fine" from the DVLA of up to £1000 , plus the same if driving licenses have not been updated either
  • snarffie
    Options
    Redx wrote: »
    the OP better get that address changed ASAP , otherwise it can lead to a "fine" from the DVLA of up to £1000 , plus the same if driving licenses have not been updated either

V5's are in the post as of this morning (mine and my wife's v5!)

We changed our driving licenses and direct debits for road tax, but the v5's were completely missed BY BOTH OF US!! My wife was a bit freaked out about the whole thing last night :eek:

I wonder if there's any way to see if anybody else might be chasing us for any parking invoices etc. in the meantime?

Thanks again to Quentin for pointing out the v5 thing.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You can check your credit records by both signing up to one of the free credit score agencies to see if you have any ccjs recorded against you
  • snarffie
    Options
    Bad news!

Having appealed to Parking Eye, I received an email from them last week to say:

"We are writing to advise you that your recent appeal has been unsuccessful and that you have now reached the end of our internal appeals procedure. This site is a maximum stay car park, as per the terms and conditions as detailed on the signage. Your appeal has been rejected on the basis that the maximum time allowed was exceeded."

The next few paragraphs refer to POPLA, the Ombudsman service and of course the opportunity to pay the reduced fee.

My original appeal text to PE was as follows:

"Dear Sirs

Re: PCN No. xxxxxx/xxxxxx

I challenge this 'PCN' as keeper of the car.

I believe that your signs fail the test of 'large lettering' and prominence, as established in ParkingEye Ltd v Beavis. Your unremarkable and obscure signs were not seen by the driver, are in very small print and the terms are not readable to drivers.

There will be no admissions as to who was driving and no assumptions can be drawn. You must either rely on the POFA 2012 and offer me a POPLA code, or cancel the charge.

Should you have obtained the registered keeper's data from the DVLA without reasonable cause, please take this as formal notice that I reserve the right to sue your company and the landowner/principal, for a sum not less than £250 for any Data Protection Act breach. Your aggressive business practice and unwarranted threat of court for the ordinary matter of a driver using my car without causing any obstruction nor offence, has caused significant distress to me.

Clause #13 of the BPA CoP applies here and this appeal, any subsequent appeal and also any court case will have this as a prominent argument as to why this invoice should be cancelled

I do not give you consent to process data relating to me or this vehicle. I deny liability for any sum at all and you must consider this letter a Section 10 Notice under the DPA. You are required to respond within 21 days. I have kept proof of submission of this appeal and look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully,
    etc"

Presumably my main argument to POPLA is that there was no period of grace to enter and leave the car park, which is sensible.

I am not sure how I can argue the legibility of the signage because I don't have any photo's of the signage (other than a google street view, which is fuzzy), and live a 100 mile round trip from the car park. Should I just drop that part? Would spending time reading the signage not form part of my 'grace period' argument anyway?

Any thoughts and advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    That's not bad news, it was as expected. Now you must win at POPLA.

Search the forum for 'grace period ParkingEye POPLA Kelvin Reynolds' and change the search to 'show POSTS' not threads. You will be reading perfect examples from recent weeks to plagiarise, within 2 minutes flat! Most ParkingEye POPLA appeals here are about them playing fast and loose with the grace periods rules - literally every week we win one.

And BTW, you NEVER drop 'unclear signs' as an argument at POPLA, it's one of the standard, deliberately very long pre-written POPLA templates in post #3 of the NEWBIES thread.

Was your PCN received by day 15 and does it have the POFA 29 days paragraph on the back?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • snarffie
    Options
    Hi Coupon-Mad,

Thanks for replying to my post.

The PCN was issued on 17th June, four days after the alleged event. Unfortunately, we hadn't updated our v5 document at the time and PE say they used a credit-referencing agency to get the PCN to our current address (in a covering letter, dated 9th August).

The POFA 29 days paragraph is on the back of the PCN.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure