Wireless adapter on/off problem with Dell XPS 12

Options
I have a dell xps 12 ultrabook.

Recently the wireless network adapter has been turning on and off sporadically so I am without internet for up to 4 minutes sometimes even if I reset the adapter..

I also have the mouse freeze when I plug the laptop charging cable in.

The laptop is about 3 years old.

I have followed all google videos running on max performance to avoid the adapter turning off and disabled/re-enabled and also updated all drivers/software etc I even bought a wireless usb external wireless adapter to check it wasn't the hardware and that turns on and off also. I have even done a complete fresh wipe and reinstall of the whole computer. There is just something underlying that is turning it on and off.

I literally cant find anything else on the internet I can do now, any ides as to how I can get working appreciated.

The only thing I can think of is maybe it is because the battery is old/past it!
:beer: Printing money since 2008 :beer:

Comments

• were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    Options
    Mmm, After how log does it freeze? Does it freeze after say 20 mins, then on rebooting freeze again after 5 mins? Time it. #this could be heat and blocked vents, or duff fan.

I would boot into safe mode and check if it still freezes

I would also boot of a linux usb stick (or Mint CD), have a long play to see if it freezes.

Updated the drivers .... From where? MS are pants at this, many supplier have older versions, but for some devices they are the only source. Best would be card/chip manufacturers

Make a restore point.

Many people would not do this as it may put pups on your PC. Then install

http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php, I install the free version, download the drivers and copy them to usb, then revert to the restore point and install the drivers from the usb

remember to run malwarebytes and a/v. Also when weird sruff happens, disable the a/v and reboot.
  • OXFORD_SMOGGY
    Options
    Immediately after plugging in usually
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sits back and waits for the inevitable post by 'I have spoken'
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    USB in power saving mode?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    W7 or 8 machine updated to W10 perhaps?? If so this itself could well be enough to explain it, as W10 updates have been doing a pretty good job of borking device drivers, especially network adapters and sound/audio devices....
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    Options
    You have to either try the easy stuff I mentioned (hopefully others will mention more).

Better to make the fairly easy linux bootable usb (CD) and if it still happens with this then I would say hardware. If it happens in a few mins you should just be able to have a quick game of wormax.io before it dies.

If the linux works, then I would look at drivers again, and get free temperature monitoring software as most chips support this. There were also a few free board diags on the market. One diag to definitely test is memory, and is often a menu choice when you boot a linux cd.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is this the original Dell charger or an aftermarket one? I had an aftermarket one on a client's machine that generated so much RFI that it stopped the trackpad from working when it was plugged in.

If it isn't doing it when it is running on battery then it suggests the charger.
  • OXFORD_SMOGGY
    Options
    GunJack wrote: »
    W7 or 8 machine updated to W10 perhaps?? If so this itself could well be enough to explain it, as W10 updates have been doing a pretty good job of borking device drivers, especially network adapters and sound/audio devices....

Yes correct
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    edited 1 September 2017 at 6:29PM
    Options
    >Sits back and waits for the inevitable post by 'I have spoken'<

But all the kewl kids have installed Linux Mint!
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    GunJack wrote: »
    It isn't only machines updated to W10. I was pulling out my hair on the cheapy HP Stream I use with a 4G mifi until I reinstalled the original driver it started out with from the HP site. I found somewhere in the settings that you can block driver updates.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure