Credit Services Association: we need your thoughts

Options
Hi everyone

We'd like to get your thoughts on something that could help you but may make some forum members feel uncomfortable.

We've been approached by the communications agency for the Credit Services Association, the trade association for the debt collection industry to set up a verified forum account to help answer questions on the Forum.

We'd like to know what you think before we make a decision.

Having the association on board the forum, with a dedicated forum thread you could go to to ask it questions could be extremely helpful. We're very much aware, though, that some of you might feel uncomfortable with this. The Debt Free Wannabe board is a home for people trying to clear debts and while we want you to get as much help as possible the last thing we want is for you to feel uncomfortable posting.

To be clear, the association does already read the Forum and is aware of posts about e.g., Lowell, Wescot, Cabot etc. Giving it a forum account and dedicated Q&A thread would give it a visible presence though.

Please do let us know what you think.

If you have suggestions and ideas on how this could work for you all eg separate sub-board please do throw them at us :)

Thank you!

Andrea :)
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    I can see why many people would be worried, and the need for safeguards which I'll go into in a bit.

The fact is, for those worried about this sort of thing, is that the DCAs monitor these sorts of forums anyway, and an "official" presence wont change that much. Anyone posting should always do so in confidence and not ever personally identify themselves, nor should forum accreditation give the Credit Services Association any access to personal data kept by MSE.

Nor should this be any forum where "propaganda" about DCA activity should be welcomed or tolerated by MSE. If this account is purported to be for answering questions, that should be limited to answering queries about things like collections, F&F requests, the way the CCA act works in relation to debts being valid etc etc. Any posts reacting to criticism of a DCA, outside of slander and libel (Which should be dealt with by the MSE team) would be seen in a very negative light by many users here.

What was proposed by this trade body when they approached you? What sort of queries (if any) did they give as examples of things they will answer, and did they promise to never ask for personal details with the view to catching people out and harassing the userbase here in any way? If their default query response involves a doctrine of trying to bully people into payment plans, scaring people about the risks of non payment of debts, and generally being a mouthpiece of the industry without actually trying to help people in need, then they should not be welcomed.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,891 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I kind of agree with stop it on this.

Its well known employees of certain DCA`s monitor, and have set up fictitious accounts on this forum in particular, in the past, in order to gain information, they are usually easy to spot though.

Its kind of a double edged sword for me, it would be interesting to hear from there side, but again, i wouldn't want the forum used for there propaganda purposes.

I think i`ve got to sit on the fence for now on this one Andrea.

All this Glasnost is making my head spin !!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Thanks both of you.

Verified accounts never have access to information forum members give us to join (we only ask for an email address).

Verified companies are given the link to the forum rules and are reminded we're an ad-free site and that they are on the forum to help answer our forum users' questions.

We expect all verified companies and organisations to be professional in their responses.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • StopIt
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Thanks both of you.

Verified accounts never have access to information forum members give us to join (we only ask for an email address).

Verified companies are given the link to the forum rules and are reminded we're an ad-free site and that they are on the forum to help answer our forum users' questions.

We expect all verified companies and organisations to be professional in their responses.

That's good to know.

I would ask what the representatives intentions were when they requested access to the forum. It's very important here that users feel confident that the forum is here for support and not judgment. This includes any answers given by this account. It may be an irrational fear, but if the presence of the DCA industry reps makes people feel too scared to be open about their debts, something crucial for people here to support them, then the risk of their presence outweigh the benefits.

There should be a cast iron assurance from them that no astroturfing (Fake accounts set up to support the industry, and to try to pressure people in debt by making it look like other users support their practices) and no other tactics be used to try to undermine the userbase and hinder those trying to support people on the forum.

I think they should be given a chance, but not unconditionally, and with the knowledge that they should be kept on a tight leash. No user, and hopefully not MSE itself wants to see this as another way DCAs have to try to collect debts.

The proof after all, is in the pudding. I'm an open-minded person so I believe that if the Credit Services Association can provide help to users in good faith, then all the better. However, if they act like the companies they represent have been known to do, they should be shown the door.

Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It would be letting the enemy in the camp. What's their motive for wanting to be on the forum ? To tell us how fair and reasonable they are ? They always stick to the rules don't they, and absolutely never threaten people with action that are not enforceable. We have them on the run. and they know it.
  • CP2016
    CP2016 Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    Could they be restricted to posting in their own Q&A thread? I was thinking about all the people in the DMP support thread who are often stressed and worried, the last thing they need is some DCA posting in there and undermining all the great work other posters do in calming people down and giving some perspective. If they want a Q&A thread then by all means give it to them - but I'd ring fence them to it.
    “Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.”
    Wiliam Morris
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    CP2016 wrote: »
    Could they be restricted to posting in their own Q&A thread? I was thinking about all the people in the DMP support thread who are often stressed and worried, the last thing they need is some DCA posting in there and undermining all the great work other posters do in calming people down and giving some perspective. If they want a Q&A thread then by all means give it to them - but I'd ring fence them to it.

I agree, very valid points raised here.

The soothing advice and practical help, given by experienced members, is invaluable, i can see how people in a very 'fragile' state of mind might be scared of posting - thinking that their posts and threads might leave them wide open to further action etc. somehow.

I'm surprised more replies haven't been forthcoming but perhaps that in itself speaks volumes ? :/
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,891 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 18 January at 9:20PM
    Options
    Catsacor wrote: »
    I agree, very valid points raised here.
    I'm surprised more replies haven't been forthcoming but perhaps that in itself speaks volumes ? :/

That thought had crossed my mind also.............!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • StopIt
    edited 18 January at 9:20PM
    Options
    Catsacor wrote: »

That may well do, but I have noticed that some posters stick to the subjects they're comfortable with in any case, so may need a bit of poking to get to reply.

I put a post in the DMP support thread asking for their views as I think many people there especially have valuable experience with the DCA industry and their opinion should be listened to especially carefully by the powers that be at MSE before any decision is made.

• motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    For me personally, I would ask them questions if I felt it necessary. They wouldn't know me from Adam.

However at the moment I am more inclined to listen to advice from the DMP thread posters as a lot of them have had first hand experience with DCAs and will advise (honestly) what to expect etc. I do however agree with Stop it if they will be providing advice and information "in good faith" then Id be ok with it as long as it is Kosher and monitored.
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport