Credit Services Association: we need your thoughts

Options

Comments

• kram
    kram Posts: 136 Forumite
    edited 10 August 2017 at 1:45PM
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies, it's all really useful to help make a decision. I particularly like the idea of asking the association to post just on its own thread for the time being.

If that were the case, knowing it does read the rest of the board, how would you feel if we said it could post answers to questions it had seen elsewhere on the board, on that one dedicated thread?

Would that work for you?

They should only answer questions within their own thread, it would feel like they are monitoring posts which could put people off posting.

I only want to speak with other posters who are going through the same as me, I don't want my posts being answered by someone who has no idea?

Its like having a shark as a lifeguard at a swimming pool?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    kram wrote: »
    They should only answer questions within their own thread, it would feel like they are monitoring posts which could put people off posting.

I only want to speak with other posters who are going through the same as me, I don't want my posts being answered by someone who has no idea?

Its like having a shark as a lifeguard at a swimming pool?

I agree with this.
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    My only thought beyond comments already posted here is why do they want a formal presence? Call me a cynic, I've never had occasion to deal with a DCA personally, but I don't see how they are looking to " help " people?

Would be interested to know if they explained their rationale

Bexster :)
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,891 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    There website gave me a little titter.

"please contact the debt collector concerned if it is not your debt, so your details can be removed from there database".

Ha ha ha......(Gets back up off floor)......oh my word, if only life were that easy.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Spatton
    Spatton Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agree with bexster1975 - what do they hope to achieve? An explanation of their rationale would help, but it feels awfully like a pseudo attempt to make themselves appear helpful when this isn't their real motive.

MSE is a safe environment for people to voice their fears and concerns and ask for honest advice from those who've been there - more often than not people are looking for moral support as well as practical advice. Can't really see DCA providing either somehow.....
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Interestingly sourcrates, I once received a letter from a DCA at this address with no name just occupier - chancers. I'm afraid I left an extremely clear voicemail about exactly what would happen if they had any further communication with this residence as whoever they were looking for no longer lived at the address.

Never heard from the morons again!

P.S I really hope they are reading this thread at least!

Bexster :)
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 10 August 2017 at 6:26PM
    Options
    I wouldn't object to having them as visible contributors.

It would make it easier to ask them why the likes of LCS are still members.

If you read this post and the one just underneath it, you will see their view on 'mis-traces' is that it rarely happens. Yet we have a thread on LCS with people claiming it has happened to them. At the last count there were 275 posts! Admittedly a lot of them were me saying that people should report them.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=70148955&highlight=tracing#post70148955
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,891 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    fatbelly wrote: »
    I wouldn't object to having them as visible contributors.

It would make it easier to ask them why the likes of LCS are still members.

If you read this post and the one just underneath it, you will see their view on 'mis-traces' is that it rarely happens. Yet we have a thread on LCS with people claiming it has happened to them. At the last count there were 275 posts! Admittedly a lot of them were me saying that people should report them.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=70148955&highlight=tracing#post70148955

Goes to highlight a point though doesn't it !!

The system is so open to abuse it's not fit for purpose.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The more i think about it, and the more replies i read here, i'm now not sure it would be a good idea :/
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 August 2017 at 5:00PM
    Options
    I would just like to declare a (lack of) interest. Never had any debt but do read some debt threads out of interest & basically to quote my mother "there but for the grace of god (or lucky chance) go I". The thought of someone asking for help that you can virtually hear crying as they type getting a (well almost) DCA answering is not a good one. Their own thread for Q & A ok (possibly even a good idea) but anything else would be like putting a fox in a hen house.

The good thing is that they would have the usual "I am a" thing, but would someone who is already really upset, unless they were already a regular on here, actually take that in?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure