Fabulously Frugal and Free at 50!

Options

Comments

• Pippilongstocking
    Options
    Thank you my dear you're very kind and what a read that is too! Amazing. Love the tone of it all. I'm a kind of like the look of this what do I actually have kinda cook, so she sits well with me. xxx UScot - me too and love Jacks book.

Well we have various 'never before seen in a spring roll wrapper' delights here including left over chinese, beef burgers and veg and sausage and veg and erm, sausages. they're 'snackage' for the DH long days at work and freeze easily.

OK so some of the concoctions might have the spring roll wrapping association wondering what on earth I'm at - but I'm thinking they're more like spring roll pasties - little rolls of leftovers. Pastry is Pastry after all.

DD left a packet in my possession and they did take up a lot of fridge space so I've used half of them now and frozen (rolled up) the rest of the 'raw' wrappers.

Soups looking good and had a good natter to a chum who's a bit poorly.

Thought I was needed for 'ice wedding cake' emergency today - turns out not. So a productive kitchen and chores day = suits me as I'm hardly ever here. Nice to have a day pottering at home.

I've also tamed the tupperware and sorted everything we have which has lids.
    Made some coleslaw from gifted HG cabbage
    Done a couple loads of washing never hurts.

Off to walk les mutts. Lamb is still buggling about on the stove - will shred that up later and freeze it and the breakfast 'spring rolls' for his work.

Never a dull moment and todays new skill is spring roll wrapping. First few look well dodgy but by the end, I looked like an old pro, oven baked instead of frying - was easy enough on a non stick tray.

Talked to DS in NZ seems very happy if a bit tired but that's OK he's in seventh heaven cooking. Still talking about heading this end for alps again this year so we'll see.

XOXOX
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Pips - :rotfl::D:T - at the thought of spring roll wrapper surprise! We have some wrappers languishing in the freezer, my just have to give it a go! never thought of baking them - brilliant idea

We've had broc&cauli soup with fresh soda bread for lunch & a portion left over and stashed in the freezer for another day - best bit is that it used up the veg leftovers!

Chook bones & skin currently bubbling away making stock to stash away for risotto and stews. Use about 4 birds worth & store in the freezer until there is enough for a potful.

Dinner tonight will be roast chook on a bed of carrot & mushrooms with sweetcorn & roast wedges. Leftovers are a given of course - cook once eat twice...:D
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Pippilongstocking
    Options
    Hey there RT - how fabulous that you've thought of them as pastry the way I just have. Ace.

Do you have a good soda bread recipe you'd share with the body of the kirk so to speak, I love it and have passed those books on to DS who seemed more in need. Love it when I have it (soda bread) but seldom make it.

I'm glad you've got a good stock a brewing - nom nom. So useful.

DH returned muddy but happy and tried the 'current experiments in spring roll pastry' utterly loves them so woop - that's some choice and yummy low calorie bakes (pastry is so much lighter than puff or rough or shortcrust) so keeping hearts a bit healthier too.

They do bake remarkably well RT - I truly wonder what the difference between these and filo is (I suspect NOT much).

Walked mutts, had a natter and then off to wrap up the spoils of cooking today into easy meals for the working week.

Must update spends later. Like really.

Todays spends have included the 20m walk to the neighbours with chickens and splashing out 1.50 for a dozen free range zero miles eggs. Whilst they don't have them often, they are tasty and the proceeds go to the local first response unit, so I lobbed in an extra 50p.

:)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options

Todays spends have included the 20m walk to the neighbours with chickens and splashing out 1.50 for a dozen free range zero miles eggs. Whilst they don't have them often, they are tasty and the proceeds go to the local first response unit, so I lobbed in an extra 50p.

:)

I hope that was 20 metres away, as opposed to 20 miles, Pippi - but loving that you can buy such good eggly goodness *on your doorstep* so reasonably priced, and that your neighbours put all proceeds to a worthy cause - :T:T:T for charity :T:T:T for hard-working hens :T:T:T for lobbing in a *bit extra* :D

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (May) -  £1/£15  (Camping TTD - £75/90)

Grocery spend May £144.39/215
    Non-food household spend May £24.01/30
    Bulk Fund May 0/£15

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,577 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Harvey Mics :rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Pippilongstocking
    Options
    I hope that was 20 metres away, as opposed to 20 miles, Pippi - but loving that you can buy such good eggly goodness *on your doorstep* so reasonably priced, and that your neighbours put all proceeds to a worthy cause - :T:T:T for charity :T:T:T for hard-working hens :T:T:T for lobbing in a *bit extra* :D

Greying X
    Ah yes twenty metres - and they're good sorts and they've got very bonnie hens so its all good all round. :)
    beanielou wrote: »
    Harvey Mics :rotfl:
    Well it makes me laugh too so glad it made you smile - what an utterly ridiculus shop.

Morning lands I hope all is well with you all.

Last night was unexpectedly leftovers as neither of us really fancied lamb - so that's ready to go tonight and leftovers will be wrapped for freezing later.

Coleslaw and beetroot for lunch with a tattie from the garden - delivered fridge/freezer to the garden today so we can top up things like milk and butter without any wastage. Great to help someone get rid of an old appliance too and help us make the garden bothy comfier.

Not very motivated here - feeling a bit poor atm - but then again I did pay off a huge chunk of CC and Im' not starved to death.

Must update the budgets.
  • Pippilongstocking
    Pippilongstocking Posts: 16,336 Forumite
    edited 18 September 2017 at 10:39AM
    Options
    Thanks guys - more tests required but she's seeing someone early next week. Appreciate the positive vibes. XOXO

Spends update.

Petrol budget - 200 - £35 paid by me, £30 by DD = £35
    Grub/Household budget £300 + 1.04 straggler = 301.04 - spends 55.74
    Treats 100 budget - spends 3.75

Still pondering the 500 quid - realistically I think it makes more sense to pay it off the CC sitting at 700 high interest and find a way to get rid of the final 200 rather than do a balance transfer.

Might go away next weekend for a wee treatsy sneak away before the MSc kicks off in full.

So the petrol budget is now sitting at £80 left/200
    Food budget is minus cleaner (£44) and various grub spends = £102 left/300
    Treats budget is sitting at £21 left/100

Paid the 500 to the CC so current debts look like this

CC1 7.99 audio book sub on there
    CC2 2469.42
    Overdraft 1 - 900
    Overdraft 2 - 1000

So total debt siting at 4377.41

So we've paid off 1377.99

Not bad bit of focus eh - thanks chaps - will do better but that at least lets me know whilst I'm feeling a bit skintarooni the debts are being hammered.

I'm going to lob 7.99 at the card that should be at ZERO so that's today's PAD. I'm cancelling the audio subby as I fear I don't need it and there are as we've seen :money: free alternatives
  • Pippilongstocking
    Options
    £6.89 paid to tidy up the overdraft account - so that's gone to CC2
    Balance there now - 2462.53

£7.99 paid to CC1 so balance there now ZERO

Woo hoo

An extra £14.88 paid off the debts :D
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    So in full on :money:/DFW mode - is CC1 now being shredded into tiny pieces and the account closed once the subscription has been cancelled? :p

Zero food miles eggs sound fabulous - we bought ours from the campsite at the weekend, not quite so bargainous as yours but the only food miles put onto them were the ones when we drove them home! :T

Loving the idea of spring roll wrappers as pastry - genius indeed - and also another devotee of Jack Monroe's first book in particular - I use it often as a "springboard" for using up things and coming up with ideas - the 9p burgers are favourites in our house albeit obviously with carrots substituted for parsnips! :T
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    LOVING the debt bashing progress Pips! Keep beating it over the head:D:D:D It feels soooooo gooood when it's gone!

I know that common :money: wisdom is to get rid of credit cards & overdrafts once you've hit zero, but even though we've been debt free for almost a year, the security blanket is still in place & we have 4 cards & 2 overdrafts available between us. We put a lot of day to day expenses on the one that collects points but pay it off every month. Maybe one day we've be brave enough to get rid of them...;)

Soda bread is super easy! Try this recipe - I use all whole wheat flour and add a crushed vitamin C table so that it rises a bit better - I've not found good buttermilk this side of the pond, so just sour some whole milk with a touch of white vinegar or lemon juice...

OH is sooooooooo jealous of your 20m egg access - and what a great price for a dozen! - we thought we were doing well this week buying seasonal veg & chook from the local farm but still had to drive almost 10 minutes each way!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport