Gas or Electric Fire and where to put radiators

Options
Hi

I am soon to be modernising my lounge and am removing my old fireplace and back boiler and moving the new boiler to another room. This leaves me with an open fireplace. I would like to keep the fireplace but dont want to use it all that often (hopefully my new central heating will work!) - so i'd prefer to minimise the heat loss through the chimney (and have therefore ruled out an open fire/stove).
What i am trying to find out is what is cheaper to run? a gas fire or an electric fire?

Also, as i am changing my central heating I will be changing my radiators. Should i place these on internal walls to aid keeping the heat in the house rather than warming up external walls - or does it not really matter?

Many thanks

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Hi Amber....the extra cost of annual check/servicing will be minimum £30/40.
    Also gas fires need ventilation bricks in the wall, which let in air but also let out heat.
    A well insulated and draughtproofed room should be ok most of the time and use a halogen heater to up the temperature now and again.(About £12 new)
    Not sure of the best place to put a radiator, mine are on outside walls with reflector panels.
    As with all heating insulation is the key.
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    With central heating you should never need to use your sitting room fire for heat output (I never have). If you only require 'decorative' flames to dress the fireplace I would opt for electric. Running flame effect only costs the same as a lighbulb. With gas you cannot have flame without heat which obviously costs more to run and will interfere with your CH. Then there's the anual servicing. HTH
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure