Half a house

Options

Comments

• Silence101
    Options
    Took some more books and clothes to the charity shop. I'm working with the new rule "it has to fit in the space we have". Groundbreaking rule, which is probably obvious for 99% of people but seems to have bypassed me for all this time. It helps that we're trying to see what furniture will fit where in the new house, and the realisation that we have more furniture than space at the moment.
  • Silence101
    Options
    I think today is the day we're signing the contract, mortgage deeds and lease. We're both a bit unsure, it's such a big step!

Ideally they want us to exchange on the 12th but even if we send the forms back at the weekend I think the solicitors haven't finished their queries. So we might miss the date, but hopefully not by much.
  • Silence101
    Options
    It's official, WE HAVE SIGNED THE PAPERS! We'll be sending them tomorrow, hoping to exchange by next Friday and complete a week later. If that happens it'll be great timing as Mr Silence has a few days off at the end of the month so he can put the flooring down (although we haven't ordered it yet, and I'm not sure how soon as we order it we can have it delivered.
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Woo hoo great news. Hope it runs smoothly from here onwards
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Silence101
    Options
    Thanks! Can't wait now!
    Someone viewed our rented house and wants to move in if we move out, so it's all fitting into place now. Just need to actually decide what flooring and where we'll get it from.
  • Silence101
    Options
    I'm sending off the paperwork this morning. If all goes smoothly now we'll have the keys by the end of next week. I'm not actually sure how/where we pick them up from! Mr Silence is working all day on the estimated completion day and I have the school run to think about, so I hope I won't have to go all the way to the solicitors to pick them up, as they are over an hour away by train.
  • Silence101
    Options
    I've read about what happens with getting the keys, so now I'm thinking the sales person will hand them over on the day, instead of us having to go to the solicitors. (Which makes a lot more sense)
    In theory the solicitors should be getting all the paperwork today, and hopefully we haven't missed any!
    We've been playing around with the furniture and have finally got a plan about what will go where. Because we're losing the dining room, we have to repurpose a cupboard as a TV stand so we're able to close it when we don't want the children watching it.
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Really hope it all goes smoothly for you over the next few days.

Did you get the furniture bits sorted? Was it you that needed bunk beds for when you moved?
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Silence101
    Options
    Thanks!
    We haven't actually looked for them yet, as it still doesn't feel real (luckily we should have almost a month overlap between getting the keys and moving out and I think we'll wait until the last weekend before hiring the van) We're thinking of maybe getting the beds with desks and wardrobes underneath, so we could save a lot of space. Found some on Argos, so now I know whether the ones I find second hand are a good deal or not.
    We need to wait until we've exchanged before we can apply for schools so the eldest will probably have to stay at the current school until half term, meaning we have to try and see what bits can go to the new house soon, and which bits have to stay here. We'll probably end up on air beds the last week, living from a suitcase or two.
  • Silence101
    Options
    In other news, I've been transferring bits and bobs into our savings account, it's so much easier not to spend when I know we'd have to move it all soon! Although I've spotted a few things that could be nice in the new place, so I need to take a note of them for once we've moved.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure