We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Retirement age hike has left women hundreds of pounds worse off

Options

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You can't 'lose' something you were never entitled to in the first place.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 117,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MSE sees a bandwagon that it thinks will help its image and it jumps on regardless of whether there is any validity to the argument or not.

Nearly everybody is getting their pension later than they thought they would when they started their working life. Most are getting nowhere near the notice that the women got in 1995. The champagne swilling GRASPI women don't care about equality. They are too focused on their greed.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • JezR
    JezR Posts: 1,697 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 August 2017 at 11:38AM
    Options
    GunJack wrote: »
    I assume this is a direct result of them not getting SP, which is classed as a benefit, and the 25% made up of mainly ill-health and/or unemployment benefits?
    Yes to the first part (or pension credit), I presume so for the second.
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    To me it just feels like a lack of proper retirement planning. People need to learn to plan and check what they are entitled to. Having to wait till I'm 68 to get my state pension I have no problem with, my issues are with companies that pay women doing the same jobs as men less. There should be total equality.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    BLB53 wrote: »
    This £5bn saving will go a little way to offset the billions in state pension paid to women from age 60 over many decades.

Where's the saving? The UK continues to run a budget deficit.
  • ffacoffipawb
    ffacoffipawb Posts: 3,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Where's the saving? The UK continues to run a budget deficit.

But it is £5bn less than it would have been otherwise.
  • TrustyOven
    TrustyOven Posts: 746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The GRASPI's want SP at age 60 for ALL 50's born women. A cursorary glance at their Leadership, shows a group of women who are hardly on the 'breadline'

http://www.waspi.co.uk/meet-the-team

Jane Cowley, Communications and PR, lives in a rather grand farmhouse in Northumberland. Sue Beevers, their Legal Director, lives here.

http://www.floddenedgefarmequestriancentre.com

Quite why these people need their SP early is beyond belief.

Yes,provide additional help for the needy, but not for the greedy.

I am not a GRASPI supporter.
    However, not sure your point is logical.

Perhaps they have lots of money and dont need SP early. So what?

What about those that have no voice, who do "need" the SP early. GRASPI will be campaining for those without a voice.

For example of the concept I am talking about:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzhb3U2cONs#t=1m30

Isn't it always that those who are wealthy are able / have the means to campaign for those that are not wealthy or have the ability? Think about any kind of charity or Foundation, similar concept.

Still, I think your point is invalid, just as GRASPI's campaign is.
    Goals
    Save £12k in 2017 #016 (£4212.06 / £10k) (42.12%)
    Save £12k in 2016 #041 (£4558.28 / £6k) (75.97%)
    Save £12k in 2014 #192 (£4115.62 / £5k) (82.3%)
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 8,094 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm sure if any newspaper came across any WASPI age woman who was in desperate circumstance just because of the delay to her state pension age it would have been all over the headlines by now. I wonder if they were in state funded education as in the years they would have been in school we learnt things like reading comprehension, which taught us that if you read that the state pension age was going up for a certain group of women you would be able to work out if it applied to you.

I am so fed up with this subject now that I am beginning to wonder if all these women were either deaf or illiterate from 1992 to 1996.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I am so fed up with this subject now that I am beginning to wonder if all these women were either deaf or illiterate from 1992 to 1996.

It was first announced in the 1993 budget, and was then was the subject of much chewing over by women (myself included) after the details were widely promulgated in newspapers and women's magazines from 1995 onwards. I suspect that many of those who are now claiming not to know may have simply ignored this information on the grounds that 'it only applies to pensioners'.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 8,094 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I suspect that many of those who are now claiming not to know may have simply ignored this information on the grounds that 'it only applies to pensioners'.

Unfortunately, I believe that the bulk of them are actually lying or at best misremembering, it makes a better story & gets more publicity that way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure