MSE News: Virgin Media to hit customers with price rise of up to £48/year

Options

Comments

• Pete_Skinner
    Options
    Don't believe this weeks post in MSE! A very close friend of mine has recently haggled this deal out of Virgin. Researchers take note!!!
  • Richardflair
    Options
    In reference to Pete above, I have had the £20 broadband deal before.

Re: OT, I spoke with Virgin Media yesterday and was able to cancel my service free of charge. 9 months into a contract and, while this price increase was extremely helpful to my situation, I wanted to let everyone know that it is possible to cancel if you're still in contract when using the price rise as a reason for leaving.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    just need to do it within 30days of notification
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,036 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anon wrote: »
    They now have form for increasing prices a couple of times a year - the benefit is you can renegotiate your contract each time or give notice.

What is a problem for many customers, which MSE should look into, is the advance line rental deals with Virgin and others. Although these save money at the time, with the constant price rises which give you a chance to cancel, you effectively have to forego the line rental that you have paid for in advance if you walk away, which effectively locks you in. Arguably this element isn't rising (until the end of the 12 month period), as it has already been paid for in advance, but it does make it more difficult to renegotiate the other aspects of your deal when you take phone, broadband and tv from the same provider.

I left BT earlier this year due to an in-contract price increase and thy refunded the unused portion of line rental paid up front fully pro-rata (and kept the kit they gave me, the £125 mastercard and the 200 tcb - they paid me a over a hundred quid to be a customer for 6 months).

And now I am with virgin and looking forward to walking away with the £50 joining incentive and the 6 tuner tivo box if they put the monthly up from 15 to 17 as I am sure I can get an all in fibre eleswhere for less than 13 a month after incentives.
    I think....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    I left BT earlier this year due to an in-contract price increase and thy refunded the unused portion of line rental paid up front fully pro-rata (and kept the kit they gave me, the £125 mastercard and the 200 tcb - they paid me a over a hundred quid to be a customer for 6 months).

And now I am with virgin and looking forward to walking away with the £50 joining incentive and the 6 tuner tivo box if they put the monthly up from 15 to 17 as I am sure I can get an all in fibre eleswhere for less than 13 a month after incentives.

I don't think you'll be able to keep the TiVo box if you leave, believe you have to return it to them? Also would the box work if not connected to their network?
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    needs to be returned.

And can't even play old recordings
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    craigr98 wrote: »
    would the box work if not connected to their network?
    It just becomes a paperweight if not linked to an active Virgin subscription. It's a rental item which Virgin will want back and the OP won't be able to use elsewhere..
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,036 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    craigr98 wrote: »
    I don't think you'll be able to keep the TiVo box if you leave, believe you have to return it to them? Also would the box work if not connected to their network?
    AndyPK wrote: »
    needs to be returned.

And can't even play old recordings
    It just becomes a paperweight if not linked to an active Virgin subscription. It's a rental item which Virgin will want back and the OP won't be able to use elsewhere..

TBH never used it anyway, couldn't believe it when the installation engineer turned up and said he would need to run a cable to my TV, I had just assumed it would be an IP box. The house is already cat 6 wired and mains power to plugs on the walls to go behind wall hung TVs so no way was I having a cable run from the front through to the main TV room so the virgin box has just sat unused and I have carried on using the free B box I got from them. So handing it back just means I can't flog it on eBay.
    I think....
  • cambb
    cambb Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anybody got any info on the proposed speed increases? I had the email and it states that i'll be increased from 100meg to 200meg but was wondering if the 200meg users are going up to 300meg?
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I got my email for the price increases today. I'm in the middle of a 12 month deal, they have said it will not be increasing for me, good..
    Your Right to Cancel
    We hope you want to carry on enjoying all this with us. But if not, don’t worry – you can change or cancel your package at any time before the date stated on your email or letter without paying any cancellation charges. Simply call 0800 052 0098. For more information, ask our friendly community at virginmedia.com/community

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/campaigns/experiencemore.html#cancel
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport