Journey to £0 by 2020, with a few bumps along the way

Options

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,645 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Have you and your DF managed to iron out your different approaches to finances? You may get a cheque for the cashback as that used to be the way they would send it so an email or phonecall pointing out you don't have a joint current account may be a good idea.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you and your DF managed to iron out your different approaches to finances? You may get a cheque for the cashback as that used to be the way they would send it so an email or phonecall pointing out you don't have a joint current account may be a good idea.

No our approaches to money are totally different, think I might be fighting a losing battle there!

I phoned Nationwide about the cashback and they said they send it to the account where the mortgage direct debit comes out from.

I asked Halifax about the payment and they said they will take the £720 on the 3rd but I should get it back within 2 weeks, so no mortgage payment in April :)
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Cheap month in April then although I don't see why Halifax should take 2 weeks to refund your mortgage payment.

If you have totally different approaches to money you might be best to stick to separate finances then and maybe open a joint account for bills only which he is not allowed to dip into. My DH eventually allowed himself to be educated and had no debt so we merged ours totally in the end with just a personal account each. He is always running out of money in his still though. No overdraft though and strictly no money out of the joint current or savings pots without running it past me first. We both get the same amount of personal spends each month.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • chelseablue
    Options
    Exactly what I thought, quick enough taking it out!

At the moment when he gets paid he transfers it over to me, we may get a joint account in the future but I'm wary of letting him have a card for it.
    Bad I know!
  • chelseablue
    Options
    Mortgage changed from Halifax to Nationwide today.

Checked online banking and have mortgage accounts showing with both banks, I presume the Halifax one will disappear in a few days.

Either that or I now over £400,000 :rotfl:

Halifax took the mortgage payment today, but should get that paid back in a couple of weeks
    Usual payment was £720 but our fixed rate ended with them on 31st March so today they took £1,008, which is the svr rate :eek:

Will make a note to call in 14 days if I haven't received it back.
  • chelseablue
    Options
    The lease car that we've had for 2 years is going back today, the inspector has just been and checked it over and the good news is even though there was some scratches on it there's no charges as it was within the permitted damage for its age :j

Just waiting for it to be collected later today then we will be back to having the 2 cars instead of 3 :)

Wont be getting a lease car again, far too worrying

April's direct debits have gone to the cards, new balances are:

Lloyds: £2,482
    Sainsbury's: £1,016

Might pay off the Sainsbury's card when it gets under a thousand but always wary of doing that as its 0%

But physiologically it'll be one less debt
  • chelseablue
    Options
    Have a confession to make: I had to buy the flights to Australia on my Barclaycard :o
    Going over Christmas/they're summer was more expensive then we thought.

After the wedding is paid for I should have just enough left in savings to clear the card though so not too worried.

Plus instead of wedding presents we've asked for money instead so I'm confident the Barclaycard will be paid off by July
  • chelseablue
    Options
    Halifax returned £1,009 yesterday so bank accounts looking quite healthy for a change.

Also due £500 cashback from Nationwide by 3rd May

Going to decide on our wedding flowers tonight...........59 days to go!
    I know nothing about flowers or what ones I want so could be a stressful evening
  • chelseablue
    Options
    First mortgage payment went to Nationwide today, was higher than it would normally be as its the first one. They took £1,110. From next month it'll be £791

But we did get the £500 cashback from them last week so that off sets it a bit.

Last month was lovely having no mortgage payment, cant wait to be mortgage free in 30 years time :rotfl:
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Overpaying even a small amount helps with repaying mortgages early. I would up that mortgage payment to £800 as I like round numbers and even £9 a month is a start. As you can afford it up it in £20 or £25 increments. Small enough that you wont miss it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback