Journey to £0 by 2020, with a few bumps along the way

Options

Comments

• chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 October 2017 at 12:19PM
    Options
    Friends wedding was good, withdrew £100 to take as spending money and have £30 left so that's a bonus.
    Petrol light came on today so going to put £20 of it in my car.

Good news this week is that partners 24 month contract with EE is now up. Hurrah!!!
    2 years ago he signed up for a stupid £65 a month contract, now that's over we're dropping it down to SIM only that will cost £21 a month for the same package he has now.

My mobile costs £9 a month so our total mobile costs will be £30 a month instead of £74!

Note to self: don't let partner go into shops alone! :rotfl:

Mortgage fixed rate is up in March so started to look around at new deals, hopefully getting a 5 year fixed rate this time.
    Cant really apply until around February time so hoping the rates I've found aren't too different by then

One more direct debit to leave the account on 15th October, £36 to BT then that's it until payday on the 25th.

Money in current account today: £1,789 but going food shopping later

Have a lovely day all x
  • chelseablue
    Options
    A bit of good news this week (well I think its good)

I started a new job in January and at the time the bonus scheme was still being discussed.

My boss told me this week that my bonus will be a maximum of 12% of my salary.

If I get the 12% that will mean £4,200!

Unfortunately have to pay tax and NI on it :rotfl: so not sure what the actual take home will be.

Not sure what I'll do with it yet. If its not needed for the wedding savings I could:

Clear the Sainsbury's card and pay a big chunk off the Lloyds card

Clear the Lloyds card

Buy the flights to Australia

Pay off half the car finance

Do a mortgage overpayment

Nice dilemma to have I guess

Last week we saw the Registrar to do the Notice of Marriage thingy and tomorrow night we're going to our venue for menu tasting so really looking forward to that!

Have a great day all x
  • Happierdays
    Options
    Just popping in to say hi! That all sounds good- you are doing great! :)
  • chelseablue
    Options
    Hi! And thank you.

My bonus gets paid in March and partner gets his in February, his is a bit less at £1,500 but I'm sure I'll put it to good use haha
  • I can totally relate to the costs of living in south east! I started to clear debt whilst saving for a wedding too. I actually found it easier when I said no to social events I could use 'saving for my wedding' as an excuse rather than the fact I was paying off debt.
    May 2015: £11685.56 / November 2017: £2076
    Credit card: £302
    Paid back : £700 / £2476
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,599 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think if you are confident you can clear the credit cards before the 0% deals finish then you should pay towards the car finance. That is bound to cost more.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • chelseablue
    Options
    I think if you are confident you can clear the credit cards before the 0% deals finish then you should pay towards the car finance. That is bound to cost more.

Now that's something I didn't think of! Of course the best thing to do is pay it off the car.

For the cards the direct debits are set up for an amount that will have them clear before the 0% end
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Now that's something I didn't think of! Of course the best thing to do is pay it off the car.

For the cards the direct debits are set up for an amount that will have them clear before the 0% end

Then definitely sort the car out and maybe put some in your holiday fund for Australia/home improvements.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • chelseablue
    Options
    Its 'month end' today as partner gets paid tomorrow.

There was £1,300 left so I've moved £1,000 to savings and had to send £300 to Barclaycard (this is the only card I use and mostly I clear it in full each month)

I think going forward I might do that every month, send at least £1,000 to savings and whatever is left in the bank over £1k, send it to the debt, that way its getting cleared quicker.

DEBT
    Lloyds: £3,142
    Sainsbury's: £1,257

SAVINGS
    Wedding + Car: £10,650
    S&S ISA: £5,293
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Those savings are building up nicely. Looks like you have your wedding paid for now :) Still the bonus to come next year as well.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback