<<<out of cheese error>>>

Options

Comments

• MrsChaos
    MrsChaos Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 January 2018 at 1:54PM
    Options
    I was thinking about Stroganoff - thank you for the link. Might do the mushroom version for me sometime. A friend in Germany cooks the diced fillet in the oven in a chili cream sauce and serves it with pasta, but unfortunately I'm the only one who likes it. Not overly keen on pork myself and neither boy appreciates onion or mushroom, so I'll have another look for ideas.

Turkey steak with garlic bread and salad went down well, and so did the omelettes for me and OH - his with bacon, mushrooms, cheese and toast on the side, mine with just a bit of cheese and a heap of stir-fried veggies in soy sauce and a dash of sesame oil.

ETA This looks like it might work. https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/roasted_fillet_with_98290
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,172 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yum, that looks good. Neither of my boys will eat onions or mushroom, although DS1 is a bit more willing to try things these days.

Dinner was cottage pie, comfort food for a day when my feet never actually quite defrosted despite socks and my old lady sheepskin boot slippers.

Experiment of the day was pudding, DS1 wanted stodge but I am short on eggs and energy so we compromised on a use it up pudding:

Use it up bread and butter pudding:
    Remove half a tin of value custard (save to serve alongside, or to have with bananas next day) and top the tin up with milk to make a thinner custard. Butter 4 slices of bread (depends on the size of your bowl), spread with mincemeat and cut into quarters. If you haven't got mincemeat use a handful of dried fruit and a few spoons of sugar in your layers instead, or use leftover teacakes or fruit bread. Grease your bowl, layer in the bread and the custard till it is all used up. Let the custard soak into the bread for a bit, then give it 20 minutes at 180. DS1 ate it hot with the last spoon of extra thick cream and pronounced it perfectly acceptable although he prefers it made properly.
  • MrsChaos
    edited 6 January 2018 at 10:20PM
    Options
    The pudding sounds lovely - we have lots of bread and half a jar of mincemeat. No tinned custard, but a sachet of instant stuff. Can see this happening tomorrow.

In the end I cut up the pork, seasoned as in the recipe and pan fried it. Deglazed the pan with cream, added seasoning (not enough) and forgot the chorizo. Returned the pork to the pan to heat through and mixed the lot with some cooked pasta. If I was to make it again, I would probably add some other form of liquid. It was very rich (I had the bit of surplus pasta to try it).

I also bought some mince for a cottage pie later in the week. More reduced stuff at Mr T - tubs of garlic and herb philly and packs of branded sliced cheese for 30p, both with more than two weeks left before their use by date. Also nice orange juice for the boys.
  • redofromstart
    edited 7 January 2018 at 9:27PM
    Options
    MrsC Good buys in MrT - they never seem to have much reduced here, or if they do its 10% off. Didn't Elaine do a melting moments recipe that used custard powder?

Pot roast beef again today, so a nice roast beef dinner and variations on that theme for dinner. Remembered late on that DS1 is baking at school tomorrow and had to try and cobble something together from stores that met the criteria, ended up making cherryfudges gingerbread syrup for him to soak his base cake layer in as he is making a kind of banana and gingerbread trifle. Its something different to try, and it ticked the 'skills' boxes on the brief without going out and spending on non essentials.

I had great plans for today but tiredness and fibrofog won. I did drag myself outside to feed the birds and on the way spotted honeysuckle, cyclamen, snowdrops, primroses and hellebores all flowering or about to flower which made me happy.

ETA finally charged my fitbit, it has just buzzed for my 10k steps. Amazing how the pottering adds up.
  • NoOneAround
    NoOneAround Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Happy New Year Redo, Hope its a good one for you :)
    You sound as busy as ever. I Like you aims list esp the looking after yourself bit and it'll do clothes - I have cupboards full to the brim and nothing to wear! Still haven't sat down and updated my list of goals yet, life still getting in the way.

NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes:)
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
  • MrsChaos
    Options
    I'd say that you won over tiredness and fibrofog!

I didn't make the bread and butter pudding after all - was too busy cooking all sorts of other things and I was the only one who wanted it. It will keep for another day. Melting moments? Will have to have a look. They might be good for DS2's lunch box.

I've not made gingerbread syrup for years, but now that both boys like coffee, this might be a nice treat. I'm going to start working with DS2 on his German and a fancy coffee might sweeten him up a bit, as he's not keen.
  • redofromstart
    Options
    :hello: NOA , I think we all know the 'nothing to wear' thing. Its done my head a lot of good to see things hung up so I know what I do and don't have. Not remotely tempted by the lovely jumpers or jeans in the sales as I can see clearly that I have more than enough. Still struggling with the perceived bargains in the stupidmarket though.

The melting moments recipe is here but I haven't tried it myself. I make some lovely short ones out of one of my baking books and have done for years. My favourite Elaine worth making myself ill for cake recipe is the welshcakes here

Food shopping this morning, too much spent on nothing much as usual, some Christmas bits left in MrM but no prices on anything so no temptation. No price on lots of things in the F&V section which was more annoying. Nice looking wonky chillies which I hadn't seen before but I didn't buy them as A&C are bringing some tomorrow. Only they aren't as they have run out. Meh. I bought a big bit of ginger as I want to have a go at making stem ginger in syrup, nearly #3 for a jar so worth a try.

Wonky potatoes were nice unusual variety again, so we are having them as jackets later. I did buy some RTC waxed cheddar so that and their own brand healthier beans (30p worth of &more points back on a 25p tin!) or beef stew form the freezer will form the basis of lazy dinner. DS1 has provided pudding which worked surprisingly well and got him full marks!
  • redofromstart
    Options
    I haven't the foggiest what the cat has stood on now to make the pound sign into a hash sign but I can see it is going to be very annoying. Windows 10 if anybody knows the magic answer.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry, can't hep with the keyboard...

I have been making soup in an attempt to empty the fridge. So far I have artichoke, leek & potato, parsnip and apple, pea and ham. And I'm going to use the rest of the ham stock and some soup mix to use up the rest of the green veg (no onion, but plenty of garlic). Then I just have to think about the cauliflower. And how to fit it all into the freezer(s).
  • redofromstart
    Options
    The infamous cure all of switching it off and on again worked. Should have tried that first obviously. The cat is doing elaborate sulking as I tidied her boiler cupboard. She is too [STRIKE]fat[/STRIKE] fluffy to fit on the keyboard with her back to me but she tries very hard.

The boiler cupboard also houses the cleaning stuff, quite pleased to have found lots of DW tablets and packs of cleaning wipes but sadly no hidden stash of sweets. I have also done a thorough clean of the bathroom so I am in a virtuous glow of cleanliness, at least until a boy uses the facilities :cool:

10k steps of cleaning and food shopping. I did moisturise and I did have a plated meal.

New broadband starts tomorrow, who knows how that will go. I don't seem to have had any instructions on what to do which is worrying me.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback