NPower took money, but aren't my energy supplier

Options
BUTTSY
BUTTSY Posts: 17 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
Last March I changed my energy supplier from NPower to Scottish Power. After receiving a £10 credit refund from Npower, I cancelled my direct debt via my online account and have been happily paying a DD to Scottish Power. Goodbye NPower I thought. Not so! On the 26th of July they reinstated my direct debit without my permission and took £29 out of my account. Without any reason or warning I might add. I have emailed their complaints department demanding they refund my money pronto. Got an automated message telling me that I should get a reply within 7 working days. My bank has said it can refund my money if I wish, and I am considering it. I have cancelled my DD to NPower yet again, but my bank says I should write to them telling them to cancel the DD from their end, or they may reinstate it again and take more money. EH! I used Uswitch to switch suppliers and isn't it obvious I don't want NPower taking my hard earned cash, because they are not my supplier any more. Also, why do they still have my bank details on record. I thought the Data Protection act says that a company can only keep records that are relevant. My bank details are no longer relevant to NPower. Watch this space. Grrrr...!

Comments

• nPower
    nPower Posts: 1,319 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    BUTTSY wrote: »
    Last March I changed my energy supplier from NPower to Scottish Power. After receiving a £10 credit refund from Npower, I cancelled my direct debt via my online account and have been happily paying a DD to Scottish Power. Goodbye NPower I thought. Not so! On the 26th of July they reinstated my direct debit without my permission and took £29 out of my account. Without any reason or warning I might add. I have emailed their complaints department demanding they refund my money pronto. Got an automated message telling me that I should get a reply within 7 working days. My bank has said it can refund my money if I wish, and I am considering it. I have cancelled my DD to NPower yet again, but my bank says I should write to them telling them to cancel the DD from their end, or they may reinstate it again and take more money. EH! I used Uswitch to switch suppliers and isn't it obvious I don't want NPower taking my hard earned cash, because they are not my supplier any more. Also, why do they still have my bank details on record. I thought the Data Protection act says that a company can only keep records that are relevant. My bank details are no longer relevant to NPower. Watch this space. Grrrr...!

Hi BUTTSY

Thank you for posting, I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with your closed account. I will be happy to take a look at this if you would like to send me an email (using the address from my profile) with your account details.

Thanks

Vicky :)
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
  • BUTTSY
    Options
    Hi Vicky and thanks, but I am having problems trying to respond via the company profile. I don't have my details to hand at the moment anyway. However, I have emailed your complaints department with all relevant info and got an automated response saying it may take up to seven working days for a reply. Hopefully it won't take that long? But thanks again and would rather resolve this ammicably if possible.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The only way to resolve DD issues is to use the DD guarantee.
    Claims are made direct to your bank.

Based on what you wrote, one reason for your claim would be no advance notice given. (there may be other reasons, but the bank only needs/can use one reason)
  • BUTTSY
    edited 1 August 2017 at 6:33PM
    Options
    Yes I have been advised by my bank about the DD guarantee and will most probably instruct my bank if they don't reply to my email I sent to their complaints department in the next few days. I received an email from NPower today that they would love to hear of my experience of being with NPower is going :rotfl:. NPOWER...I AM NOT YOUR CUSTOMER ANY MORE! To be honest though. This is probably some kind of Computer glitch and have to admit when I WAS their customer, whenever I had a problem and spoke on the phone to their staff. They were always very helpful and courteous. Just hope this gets sorted soon. Watch this space.
  • in_my_bumble_opinion
    Options
    Get your bank to refund the dd today.

Demand a goodwill gesture from Npower. Why should you spend time and effort to sort their error?
    ''He who takes no offence at anyone either on account of their faults, or on account of his own suspicious thoughts, has knowledge of God and of things devine.''
  • trickytree1963
    Options
    Have you contacted Scottish Power to double check the switch went through ? Wondering if something went wrong during the switch as it sounds odd. The £29 could be a final bill after they got the meter reads you gave to SP when you switched?
  • BUTTSY
    Options
    Thanks Trickyree1963 and everyone else. Yes I have been paying Scottish Power my dues since March. So I would guess that I am a Scottish power customer. This morning I looked at my online account and found that NPower had refunded me £13 out of the blue. As explained I emailed the complaints department at NPower when I first discovered my £29 was taken without my consent. So far no reply, yet a partial refund? What is going on NPower?
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BUTTSY wrote: »
    Thanks Trickyree1963 and everyone else. Yes I have been paying Scottish Power my dues since March. So I would guess that I am a Scottish power customer. This morning I looked at my online account and found that NPower had refunded me £13 out of the blue. As explained I emailed the complaints department at NPower when I first discovered my £29 was taken without my consent. So far no reply, yet a partial refund? What is going on NPower?

What is going on is that you appear to have failed to follow the advice given in both post#2 and post#4

One can only infer the reasons for that

Good luck!
  • BUTTSY
    Options
    Well got an email this afternoon saying my latest bill from NPower was ready. Oh no I thought....groan. Used my old login details and managed to access my old NPower account. They closed it when I left them, but reopened it again. It said I was £174.47 in credit. Whoopee, Thought I will have some of that. This time I phoned the complaints line and explained all to a very helpful young lady who said that the final bill had not been sorted. Four months on? But the up of it was I was owed £61 and it would be paid into my account in the next 7 days. I must have missed something and will have to go back over my old bills. Even so I was a little miffed that they had reopened my DD, despite the fact I am grateful of a few quid coming back my way. She couldn't tell me why they had taken £29 and then re-credited with £13. I asked that my bank details be deleted once this went through. Got the feeling this might not be the end of it though? Will let everyone know how I get on.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    @Buttsy There is only one way to be sure that a DD mandate has been cancelled - do it yourself. The supplier will then get an electronic message from your Bank confirming the cancellation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure