Mrs S, family life and debt

Options

Comments

• MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We're all still feeling yucky. The boys are worse during the night, which means not much sleep all around then they're bouncing around during the day :eek: ds1's temp went up to just over 39 degrees last night, and ds2's to 40.5 degrees. Thankfully medicine brought both back down and they're both happy running around today! I could do with another 12 hours or so sleep today. We've discussed asking mil to look after the boys for a little today. Ds1 really wants to stay home, though. We'll see what happens.

I've done my shopping list for next Monday. I use the Tesco grocery app to do it. I thought the had a really good meat offer until I checked Aldi prices and their prices are pretty much the same without being on offer. I'll get my meat and a few other bits from aldi on Monday, but fruit and veg I'll get from Tesco. I really find the fruit and veg from our local Aldi goes off quickly.

I switched gas and electricity supplier last month, and submitted meter readings the other day. The first bill has come back and they estimate that I should knock the direct debit down by around £20 a month. I'm not going to do it yet, going to wait a couple of months to see if they're still saying the same. I dont want to end up paying more eventually because I wasn't paying enough. It'll be great if I can knock it down as it's almost £70 a month for both at the moment.

I need to chase an asda return at some point. It was posted off 15 days ago and I've heard nothing since. That'll probably be Monday's job.
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • MrsSave
    Options
    The boys have gone to their grandparents for the day. They'll be back this evening. I fell asleep, only for the postie to ring the doorbell! Mr S has decided he's staying here for the day (didn't ask, just hasn't gone!!) so that he can have peace and quiet to sleep instead of being at his parents with the boys. I can see where he's coming from, but it would've been polite to ask!!
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Well I slept a few times!! The boys came home by bedtime, but the little one has been pretty unsettled. Lots of cuddles and rocking to sleep, which is a very rare thing in this house. Lots of coughing and I'm worried he's starting with a chest infection. He's starting to sound wheezy. His temp is more normal this evening (so far) though did go up this afternoon. The eldest is asleep but coughing. I'm trying the Vicks and socks on the feet trick to see if that actually works with him.

Being poorly sucks. Children been poorly sucks even more. Being poorly at the same time as the children - well that's just cruel all around!!! It's going to be a long night.

Grandparents have offered to have the children again tomorrow. They're not 100% themselves either though so I'll probably keep them home and have a day of tv and Ipad. I have taken a joint of pork out of the freezer to defrost for Sunday lunch, though I can see no one actually wanting to eat it!!
  • MrsSave
    Options
    That was another long night. It's probably not helping that we're all stuck in breathing in each other's bugs!! No energy to go out at all though. I'll cook the pork joint later, and maybe make a mini Sunday roast for whoever fancies eating it.

I'm spending a lot of time reading this site at the moment, which I'm taking to be a good thing :rotfl: I'm thinking of looking to see if I could scrape a little off the outgoings to try to save a little more. I don't want to make things tight so that it's miserable though.
  • MrsSave
    Options
    We're getting better.....slowly but surely. Ds1 should've been back in school after half term today, but had a high temp again this morning. I decided to keep him off. I think he definitely needed it, but will be going back tomorrow. Ds2 has been to the doctor as he was pretty rough over the weekend, and has been diagnosed with bronchiolitis. He has had major naps today, but seems to be on the mend.

It has been weird having mr. S here all weekend. He has gone now, but it was 'normal'. I'm actually missing him a bit now he's not here. :o

I did the food shop this morning. I wanted to stick to a £45 budget. I use the Tesco grocery app to plan my list, and it came to £53 :eek: With going to 3 different shops, I managed to get everything I wanted for £43 :j I can't believe I knocked £10 off my shop!!! That won't be happening every week, but I'm very chuffed.

I have a nice, long housework list for this week :eek: I've emptied the laundry basket today, but after lots of poorly days it was mainly pj's and socks :rotfl: Not much ironing from that lot :rotfl: I'll be washing all towels and bed clothes tomorrow.

I used the mse mortgage overpayment calculator earlier, if I overpaid by just £30 a month, I'll knock 18 months off the mortgage :money: I'm going to look into whether I can fit that into my budget.
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Have you heard of 'my supermarket' app?
    It lists the prices of goods in most of the big supermarkets and enables you to compare costs.
    It took me a while to get the hang of it, but this is what I do.
    Create my shopping list using tesc0 prices. When I'm done it gives you two 'save money' options. One is getting the entire shop at a different supermarket, then the other is a switching products option within tesc0.
    So I get my list the cheapest I can at mr Ts, (or A5da if that ps significantly cheaper..
    Then I head off to Ald1 you can compare prices as price per unit. If it's cheaper at Aldo, I buy it there, if not, I go to tesc0 or A5da...

As I said, took me s while to get the hang of it. But it's working for me now.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Thanks wishingthemortgageaway. I have looked at it before, but mainly just to check Aldi prices as I find it easier to navigate than Aldi's site, or to check a certain item. I needed ibuprofen for the boys yesterday and used it to see that Morrisons had an own brand one for £1.77 instead of the branded one at Tesco that was nearly £4!! I should look into using it a little more though.

The youngest was quite restless last night, so I'm looking forward to his nap time today to catch up on some sleep :rotfl:

It's pay day tomorrow, and it's already showing in pending in the bank account. I worked out HSBC updates at 3am.

A quiet day today. The eldest should be back in school and then cuddles and naps for the youngest.
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Payday for me today. And, as I was awake at 4 am, I had a little check and updated my ynab... oh so sad!
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Payday for me today. And, as I was awake at 4 am, I had a little check and updated my ynab... oh so sad!

I often have a middle of the night check of YNAB and my bank accounts :rotfl:
  • MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,903 Forumite
    Options
    I've been known to count down the hours to 'pay-time' on pay day too!
    Think I need to get a life... :rotfl:

Hope you're all feeling better today x
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £66,970
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £738.03 Total OP’s: £8948.59
    SAVINGS: EF: £6923.98/£15,000 XMAS: £607.21 CAR/HOUSE: £550
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts