Mrs S, family life and debt

Options

Comments

• MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm currently sitting in a dark room (other than the Ipad light) willing the boys to sleep :rotfl: the youngest (10 months old) has a new favourite word (dada for his daddy). He's currently shouting it at the top of his voice. The four year old is muttering to the 10 month old to be quiet, but also starts chatting to us from time to time. Dh is in the spare single bed (we ended up with a bed too many) as he just spilt a cup of tea over his side of the bed (and himself!!). A nice, relaxing holiday :rotfl:

Actually, the boys have been very well behaved this weekend and have eaten very well. I haven't had a single pudding all weekend, and have only had 1 drink with my meals so the cost hasn't been too bad at all. We're going to stop to do a bit of shopping tomorrow as the eldest needs a few bits for Autumn/Winter, but I know of a big Asda we'll be passing so will see what we find there.
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • MrsSave
    Options
    It didn't take much longer for silence and 2 sleeping boys! The eldest went to the toilet at 5am, followed by the youngest wanting a bottle so I've been awake since then! Everyone else is still asleep!

It will be porridge pots breakfast in our room again this morning. Then packing up to start our journey home. We'll have a decent lunch out somewhere so that we won't need to cook much tonight. Then a little shopping for the boys. We'll hopefully be home by about 5 so nice early night for everyone tonight. We've got a Tesco delivery coming tonight and I know it's an expensive one!
  • MrsSave
    Options
    It was closer to 6 when we got home last night, but we've had a brilliant weekend. 3 meals out, but 2 'cheap' in our rooms meals so better than usual. I did a little shopping in M&S yesterday, which is rare! I had 2 different 20% vouchers.......one was for clothes, beauty and homewares, the other for children's clothes. I bought a couple of really cute outfits for ds2 and the 2 20% discounts stacked so had a good discount! I also bought a couple of Christmas gifts in the 3 for 2 (well 3!) and the 20% worked there as well. I wear one of M&S perfumes, so I bought it for dh to give me for Christmas :rotfl:

We've had a money update. It's currently in the hands of solicitors. Should be with us by the weekend. I've been researching local people who can fit boilers today, so that once we receive the money we can contact for quotes and get that sorted.

I'm mainly looking forward to paying off this loan, though. I'm really hoping we can start November on a complete positive. We'll have 1 credit card left, but I'd rather keep paying that as it's 0%, and have some savings behind us in case. The aim is to pay it off before the 0% ends. I've already set up a direct debit to pay off the same amount each month. Other than that we'll hopefully be starting November with savings and money in certain pots to get us going. I want us to keep a 'float' of around £500 in an account for unexpected bills (expensive MOT, white goods break down, etc.), as well at £5k tied away, and then another savings account for things like a new car, and work on the house. It means we'll be able to save for once.

I keep thinking our food bill is jumping up, but I think I've come to the conclusion that ds2 is costing us quite a bit at the moment! Between a formula tin, ready made formula for nursery, nappies, wipes and the 'spare' baby food, we're adding not far off £20 a week. Ds2 will be 1 before the end of the year, so we'll no longer need formula or the ready made formula. It's sad though, that ds2 is nearly 1!! Where on earth has this last year gone!
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I hope you get the money soon . Kids definitely grow up too fast! My baby is off to another continent with school :cool:
  • MrsSave
    Options
    debtaghh wrote: »
    I hope you get the money soon . Kids definitely grow up too fast! My baby is off to another continent with school :cool:

Wow! I bet they'll have an amazing time!!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,614 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Children never stop costing us money do they? Hope you get your money soon Mrs S. Take your time deciding on how to make best use of it but paying off loan and putting in new boiler sounds like a good start.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MrsSave
    Options
    I have decided that we need to target our water bill. It seems very high. We're metered and pay just over £40 per month, but out last bill showed we owed over £200 so I'm expecting the dd to increase. We're due another bill next month....I'm looking forward to seeing how our usage has been over the last 6 months, as the previous 6 months was double the 6 months before that (I'm sure that's confusing to read!!). I was home more during the expensive bill - maternity leave, but I don't think it should have doubled. Our current boiler has a small leak, but not massive. Hopefully the new boiler should help but need to look further into this.

Dh is going to phone 3 local gas engineers I have found tonight to see if they'll give us a quote for fitting a new boiler. I'm going to have a look at boilers today for a rough idea of prices.

I've already checked our accounts this morning, all looks ok (well, as it should look!). I'm taking ds2 swimming after lunch. It's been a couple of months since I last took him, and he loves swimming! Then we've got ds1's parents evening after school. I'm cooking a ham joint for dinner tonight, actually I may cook it this morning ready. We're having ham and parsley sauce tonight - yum!
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Ds2 is having his post swimming nap, so I've sat down with a cheese and pickle sandwich and am browsing this site! Swimming cost £4.40 and that should be today's only spend.

I keep popping on to the prolific site but there are next to no surveys available at the moment. I had a 50p one yesterday, and that was the first one since last Tuesday. I hope they pick up again soon! I was aiming to reach £20 and cash out by payday!

I have been putting 20ps away throughout the year in a sealed tin, and today I opened it. I've got exactly £16 in there. My aim is to build it up to £20 which is the cost of our Christmas turkey. I need to find another tin now for next year. Instead of just 20ps next year, we're going to. Be adding £10 a month which will hopefully cover (or go towards) our Christmas food/drink shop.
  • MrsSave
    Options
    I should be in work, but had a phone call to collect ds1 from school - he'd fallen and bumped his head and the school prefer them to be home for the rest of the day. He's fine, thankfully, though has decided he should have the rest of the week off!! I don't think so!!I have spent £1.75 on a cupcake from the local cake shop for him, but I think he deserves it!

I've had another 2 surveys since my 50p one on Prolific. I've currently got £15.04 with another £2.30 pending. I'm still aiming for £20 by the end of the month. I'm about to check the bank accounts and update ynab whilst ds1 watches Paw Patrol and eats cake!

We've got our first gas engineer coming out to give us a quote later for fitting a new boiler. I'm aiming to get 3 separate quotes.
  • MrsSave
    Options
    We've had 2 different people out to quote for a new boiler and have a third coming out soon. I must admit that I'm dreading receiving the actual quotes!!

Ooooh, the money is en route too :rotfl: It has left the solicitor's account, but will apparently take until the beginning of next week to reach us! It should still be here by the 1st of November though!

I'm up to £17.84 on Prolific now with 50p pending. So close to £20!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts