The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14)

Options

Comments

• shaggydoo
    shaggydoo Posts: 8,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 26 January 2018 at 4:43PM
    Options
    Roll up, Roll up. A New Month, A New Challenge.
    aug-13-estonian-summer-sun-preview.pngfebruary-clip-art-whimsical-cartoon-text-doodle-month-44872747.jpg
    SET A
    Target_logo.jpg

28 days up for grabs!
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I must admit it was a bit of a struggle last night for me. I had a very stressful meeting and driving home I was weighing up the idea of having another drink. Then I thought: the stress had given me a niggling headache and I was tired. How would wine help that?? So I told myself a cuppa was a much better idea, and it was!:)

Well done for resisting, Maman. It's not like you to struggle that much with temptation, so well done for mastering the urge.
    I wish I hadn't drunk so much yesterday. I feel so grotty. I was out with a boy I've liked for a while and honestly find it scary enough without contemplating doing it sober. I know I shouldn't say this but I think I would rather not have gone at all than gone sober. That said I did majorly over do it yesterday and need to learn.

I think that's a real pity, PSL, that you didn't feel confident enough to just be yourself with someone you'd like to get to know better. I hope you find a way of resolving that dilemma..
    I like the idea of doing something else in the evenings. I tried studying, but couldn't concentrate, think I need a class or for it to actually lead somewhere. I was trying accountancy, but couldn't see me actually getting a job in accountancy (in legal work at the mo and need my wages too much to pay my mortgages).

I like the idea of doing a jigsaw, but would like something more constructive. Cleaning comes to mind, but can't motivate myself to do that of an evening!

I feel the same about jigsaws, Pollyanna. I buy them in charity shops so they only cost a quid or so and I do them because they absorb me completely while I'm building the picture. Sometimes I just don't have the brain space to do something constructive, and as drinking is just destructive, a jigsaw is the easy answer. We can worry about how to occupy our future when it arrives - tonight is the issue.

As to cleaning - I'm a Flylady and not one single one of us is motivated to do the cleaning, I can assure you. We only do it because it has to be done but no-one enjoys anything about it.

Manpants, I'm really worried about what you've posted. The problem, as I recall, wasn't just booze and as you've forsaken the internet-sourced items that led to the violence it seems unlikely that you'd repeat. However, that's only true unless goaded when you've had too much to drink - and it sounds like there is a possibility it could happen. Please would you consider asking Relate for some help. This issue has been between the pair of you for two years, so it clearly isn't going to go away of it's own accord. The situation you're describing is dangerous.

Struggling with life today, a bit. It's as much to do with the time of year, the weather and all that sort of outside influence as the issues themselves, but it's got to me today. I'm not tempted by the idea of having a bucket of booze, but I could let rip verbally if anyone crossed me. The dog's been shouted at twice in an hour, poor little sod.

25/31 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well, I caved last night and had a bottle of prosecco. Feel fine today and everything, but am a bit annoyed at myself.

I tried talking myself out of it last night, but the bad me won.

One of my arguments against it was that I would just go, "Oh sod it, I've caved, so might as well do it big style."

But nope, today is a fast day and I will just draw a line under it and move on. It was just one night in the middle of the week, no biggie.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can I am for 16/28 for February please?
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,636 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    Struggling with life today, a bit. It's as much to do with the time of year, the weather and all that sort of outside influence as the issues themselves, but it's got to me today. I'm not tempted by the idea of having a bucket of booze, but I could let rip verbally if anyone crossed me. The dog's been shouted at twice in an hour, poor little sod.
    Hope you don't have a cat to kick as well!:rotfl: It is a miserable time of the year but I seem to be coping better than previous years. We're planning another city break for March and it's always good to have something to look forward to. It's getting dark now otherwise I'd have recommended a brisk walk. I hope things look brighter soon.:)

Honey_Bear wrote: »
    Well done for resisting, Maman. It's not like you to struggle that much with temptation, so well done for mastering the urge.
    I think it was because I'd had a drink earlier so didn't have the 'prize' of an AF day to motivate me. Someone at my meeting was being particularly self centred so the s*d it voice whispered to me. But I ignored it, that's what matters!:D
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    I completely agree HB. I sort of lost it getting so stressed and then drank far too quickly.
    Dating Is hard. I would date sober with someone I wasn't that taken with- or was just getting to know but someone who you like is hard. I know that's silly.

We go out again next week. It will be different. 17/21
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Paspatur
    Paspatur Posts: 490 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    14/31 for tonight please
    Off for a bubble bath and then early night with a book and a hot water bottle - simple pleasures
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    17, please

20 days for Feb, please xx
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,456 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    hi all, 24/21 for me today, I'm in Oz so it's a bit tricky to adjust re AFDs as by my UK watch I've had a full AFD but in Oz I've got the rest of the afternoon and evening to go :) I'll just abstain tonight and that should cover it. I think I've sort of lost a day somewhere in there but I guess I'll gain it back in Feb when I come back.
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • maggiem
    maggiem Posts: 1,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    10/15 please . TGIF!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income