The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14)

Options

Comments

• shaggydoo
    shaggydoo Posts: 8,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Roll up, Roll up. A New Month, A New Challenge.
    aug-13-estonian-summer-sun-preview.pngDecmain.jpg
    SET A
    Target_logo.jpg
    31 days up for grabs!

Everyone Welcome!!!
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    maggiem wrote: »
    Think I need to try and change the mindset of Friday, Saturday, Sunday are days when it is ok to have a drink as then if a social event occurs mid week I tend to add that rather than substitute a day at the weekend. Badly explained but I know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean maggie as I do exactly the same.:o

The one consolation is that when I have a mid week event I do definitely drink less and I don't come home and carry on like I used to.

Today's Friday and a planned drinking day. I've woken up with a nasty headache (I think DH has given me his head cold:mad:) but I'm still dithering about whether to have a drink later. That's carzy I know but habits are difficult to break.
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    On a Devil Cat side note, we've had a lovely letter today from the vet whose care he's been under, who's leaving the practice. She's offered to do a personal call-out if the time comes in the fortnight before she starts work for her new practice, which is unheard of - and covers Christmas. She's also written us the most beautiful letter saying he's the bravest cat she's ever met, as well as some other stuff. I've never had anything like that before so I'm blown away today.

Sukey Boo, I'm so sorry your birthday was a disappointment. These things happen, but I think you should have a Groundhog Birthday until it feels right. And I'd contact the pub and let them know how diappointed you were, and why - personally, not using Trip Adviser which I dislike because it's unnecessary to go public to bring out the best in most pubs etc. Can you use your awareness about how much your job isn't fulfilling you to be the motivation to do something about it? (On my 37th birthday I made a commitment that within six months I'd either get a promotion at work, move house or be in a decent relationship. All three happened within that six months. I have to admit I made a lot of changes to ensure the best possible chance, it didn't just happen. And I'm still in the same house and still with the same man, so sometimes setting goals can work.)

HB when we lost our cat earlier this year his vet (who he had been seeing on a regular basis as he had high blood pressure and kidney problems) sent us a lovely card - her kind words really made a difference at a very painful time :(

We did mention our disappointment while we were still in the pub last night - they did apologise and didn't charge us for the main meals but we still paid for the starters and the bottle of wine - I think I will chalk that one down to experience :eek:

With regard to the job - I have worked there for over 20 years now and am not really the right age to start again somewhere else - it would be hard to find the same salary elsewhere too :money:
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,513 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    sukeyboo, I'm in much the same position jobwise, a little bored and maybe a bit underemployed too, but it would be hard to change companies and get the same salary, and I don't necessarily want to move within the company because it's a comfortable niche despite its shortcomings and there aren't a lot of other things I could do. I mull over possibilities a lot too but haven't seen a way out of it yet.
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • ElusiveLucy
    Options
    I would like to cut my hours and work part time, but have been told it isn't possible to do my job part time (despite me knowing a couple of people, admittedly not lots, who do the same job and only work 4d a week). I have thought of going contracting but that would likely involve a lot of travel. The upside would be that I could take months off between contracts......whether it would work like that in reality I don't know!
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,662 Forumite
    Options
    I would like to cut my hours and work part time, but have been told it isn't possible to do my job part time (despite me knowing a couple of people, admittedly not lots, who do the same job and only work 4d a week). I have thought of going contracting but that would likely involve a lot of travel. The upside would be that I could take months off between contracts......whether it would work like that in reality I don't know!

You have a right to request part time working and if others do it then a precedent has been set so more difficult to be turned down. You could set out how you think it can be achieved in a request letter. I think there are sample letters online.

Headache's almost gone but still dithering.:o
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Options
    23/26 AFDs today
  • CuppaTea
    CuppaTea Posts: 1,333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    14/18 so far please.

I’m a few days off track. But still time to recover.

18 for December please.
    Live for the moment and plan for the future
  • Freedom_beckons
    Options
    This is a quick post to say thank you to everyone HB,Shaggydoo,Maggiem,
    It's Day 10 & I am amazed as it has been a very emotional week at work. Lets say not my finest hour! But I have survived. Just feel a little down at min & want to lick my wounds. But I will get dressed and on with the day. Cravings a definitely there but I will try & not obsess about it.

I will catch up with you all later but the hubbie is wanting to go shopping! More queuing for carparks.grrr (not feeling very patient today):eek::
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,513 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    A Christmas "mulled wine" opportunity presented itself to me today at lunchtime but I turned it down, despite accepting on exactly the same occasion last year. So 23/21 for me please.

ElusiveLucy, I agree with Maman, if others do the same job part-time then so can you - I'd also write to your employer formally requesting it.

Freedom Beckons, sorry to hear you've had a tough week at work, I think you're doing really well though, agree with Honey Bear, keep plugging away, it does get easier, less of a roller coaster as time goes on.
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport