Orange unregistering SIM card

Options
agkq62
agkq62 Posts: 16 Forumite
For 5 years I have had two Orange PAYG phones for emergency use with about £10 credit on each. I have never topped them up but always kept them active by sending a text every 6 months. Today I tried to send my 6 month text, the first one came up "10p balance" the second as unregistered.

I phoned Orange and they say you now have to make a voice call every 2/3 months to stop deactivation. I have got the credit back on the first phone but they say the second phone had been totally cancelled and they have no records for the number. So I have lost £10.

Anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• Chris2000
    Chris2000 Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, I haven't had this problem with my Orange pay as you go sims.

Is it possible the text you sent didn't get through and wasn't charged? I always check the balance before and after to make sure some credit was used.

There is a link to T&C at the bottom of most pages on the EE home page. What do the Orange pay as you go network terms say you must do to prevent disconnection? If Orange have not followed their own T&C, there's also a link to the Code of Practice at the bottom of most pages which explains how to complain.
  • Jenny_EE
    Jenny_EE Posts: 44 Organisation Representative
    Options
    agkq62 wrote: »
    For 5 years I have had two Orange PAYG phones for emergency use with about £10 credit on each. I have never topped them up but always kept them active by sending a text every 6 months. Today I tried to send my 6 month text, the first one came up "10p balance" the second as unregistered.

I phoned Orange and they say you now have to make a voice call every 2/3 months to stop deactivation. I have got the credit back on the first phone but they say the second phone had been totally cancelled and they have no records for the number. So I have lost £10.

Anyone else had this problem?

Hi,

If you have a Pay as you go number that hasn’t been used for a while, it will become inactive and you’ll lose the number eventually. This process is called ‘Hibernation’. If you do not make a chargeable call, send a text or access data within 120 days the Hibernation process will begin. We have loads more information on the process here and steps you'll need to take to ensure the number stays active. https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Pay-as-you-go/Pay-as-you-go-Hibernation-Information-on-EE/td-p/392179.

Thanks, Jenny
    Official Company Representative
    I'm an official company representative of EE. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    I lost £36.00 will O2 in a similar situation.
    Not best pleased..........
    If they know you have not used the phone for a certain period
    of time can they not send you a reminder or something ??
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I lost £36.00 will O2 in a similar situation.
    Not best pleased..........
    If they know you have not used the phone for a certain period
    of time can they not send you a reminder or something ??

Because most of the time the sims either lost or in a phone that's not switched on. So sending it a text or trying to call it is a waste of time.
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    Yes fair comment
  • agkq62
    agkq62 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies. I have looked at the link to Orange and the terms stated there are not what I was told by the help line. When I have a couple of hours to spare I will have another go at the help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure