Problems with Fire Stick

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Have you ruled out the firestick being broke?

Take it to someone else's house, ideally someone with a firestick, and try it there.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ^^ I was thinking this .
    If the other devices inthe house work ok, and you have factory reset the firestick and it still doesnt work properly then my money is on a duff stick
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    ^^ I was thinking this .
    If the other devices inthe house work ok, and you have factory reset the firestick and it still doesnt work properly then my money is on a duff stick

AND.. a new firestick is still cheaper than a new router
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    edited 28 July 2017 at 3:15PM
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses.
    Why not buy a decent Android box instead?

I don't really know what options there are for other boxes. Can they access Prime video?
    neilmcl wrote: »
    In the meantime reboot your current sky router then once up and running log in to the router and and check the connection speed in the router's connection statistics. If this is much lower than you expect then you may have an issue with your line. Please post up the full stats on here.

If it's a wifi issue, one thing you can do to allow the stick to get a better signal and lessen any interference from your TV is to plug it in via the included dongle rather than directly into the TV. I found this helped a lot with one of mine.

I've rebooted the router, now the Fire Stick won't connect at all.

These are the router stats:

Modem Status Connected
    DownStream Connection Speed21019
    UpStream Connection Speed1287
    VPI0
    VCI38

I've just tried watching on my laptop again and that seems to be working, although it's a bit stuttery. That might be normal though, I've never used the laptop for streaming before and it's crap at everything else.

I don't think I've got the fire stick dongle.

kwikbreaks wrote: »
    It certainly sounds like a WiFi issue and a wired speedtest should rule out the broadband connection as would checking the router stats if possible.

Is the router in the same room as the Firestick? Has anything been moved around? Have you checked for other SSIDs on the same channel as you?

As it was working fine before I doubt this is an issue but I did find that my TV USB port didn't provide sufficient power for a Googlecast and it played up. I fitted a mains socket with USB charging ports which sorted that out. I've only ever run my Firestick from that so not sure if it too needs a decent power source.

The router's right next to the TV. Nothing's been moved since last time it worked. I think there was one other user on the same channel, but I went through all 13 and the speed according to Netflix via the Fire Stick was less than 1mbps on all of them.

How do I do a wired speedtest?

The Fire Stick doesn't get it's power from the TV, it plugs into a power socket.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Ames
    Options
    Have you ruled out the firestick being broke?

Take it to someone else's house, ideally someone with a firestick, and try it there.

I can't do that, unfortunately.
    AndyPix wrote: »
    ^^ I was thinking this .
    AND.. a new firestick is still cheaper than a new router

A router's about £15, a Fire Stick £40. I'll start looking out for any deals and try getting a new one. Or start researching other types of box.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So the connection seems OK, so it does look like a wifi issue or a problem with stick itself. Take your laptop down to where the Fire stick is and run a speed test via http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest?utm_source=mainsite&utm_medium=navigation&utm_campaign=speedtest&utm_content=sidebar

Have you tried my suggestion of connecting the stick via the cable/dongle rather than plugging it in directly?

FYI, I find you have to reboot the Fire stick any time you reboot your router. I've also found that sometimes when you get connection issues with Netflix rebooting the App seems to help as well.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    I can't do that, unfortunately.

A router's about £15, a Fire Stick £40. I'll start looking out for any deals and try getting a new one. Or start researching other types of box.
    The trick is to buy them on Prime day or Black Friday when they're on offer.

You could just buy a new one, try it, and if it also doesn't work, send it back to Amazon. If it works, you've got it sorted. If it doesn't, buy a new router.
  • boundy
    boundy Posts: 187 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Are you using the little hdmi extended that is supplied with the fire stick, I found having the stick plugged directly into the TV and not using it was causing a bit if interference and the speed the stick could achieve would drop, using g the little extension solved it
  • Ames
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    So the connection seems OK, so it does look like a wifi issue or a problem with stick itself. Take your laptop down to where the Fire stick is and run a speed test via http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest?utm_source=mainsite&utm_medium=navigation&utm_campaign=speedtest&utm_content=sidebar

Have you tried my suggestion of connecting the stick via the cable/dongle rather than plugging it in directly?

FYI, I find you have to reboot the Fire stick any time you reboot your router. I've also found that sometimes when you get connection issues with Netflix rebooting the App seems to help as well.

The speed test had download speed at about 18.

As I said above, I don't have the dongle, or if I do I don't know where it is.

I've rebooted the router and fire stick and now it's not connecting at all.
    The trick is to buy them on Prime day or Black Friday when they're on offer.

You could just buy a new one, try it, and if it also doesn't work, send it back to Amazon. If it works, you've got it sorted. If it doesn't, buy a new router.

Yeah, I think I'll have to try buying a new one. I'll wait till they're on offer and in the meantime I can use my blu ray player for Netflix, all I need for that is the cable to connect it to the router.

Thanks again for all the help.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Holiday Haggler
    edited 28 July 2017 at 3:53PM
    Options
    boundy wrote: »
    Are you using the little hdmi extended that is supplied with the fire stick, I found having the stick plugged directly into the TV and not using it was causing a bit if interference and the speed the stick could achieve would drop, using g the little extension solved it

Forgot about that... this also sorted out the firestick for my sister-in-law.

Just getting the stick a few inches away from the TV seemed to help it's wifi reception greatly

If you've lost it then you can replace them cheaply https://www.amazon.co.uk/JaneDream-Extension-Cable-HDMI-Female/dp/B01464G036/

I've got a 3m extender for my TV upstairs, so I can plug HDMI things into the TV without needing to faff behind it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure