PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• RXT156
    RXT156 Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    HI all!! Offer accepted mid October. Always had in my mind that I’d like to be in before Christmas but as the weeks have gone on I’ve realised that this was naive of me:rotfl:

Draft contracts received weeks ago, queries about outrageous prices for items being left have been sorted. Searches received and all seems ok. What now?!? *Waits impatiently* :p
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,717 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Depends who else is waiting for what RTX156! Theoretically at that stage there's not much left for *you* but maybe others are still waiting for searches etc?

We had our offer accepted on 9th August and also naively thought we'd be in by Christmas :rotfl: :rotfl: Would have made it too if it wasn't for the pesky FTB at the bottom of the chain demanding a massive price reduction at the last minute then pulling out when they didn't get it :mad:

Hey ho. Just heard today that the new person at the bottom is having their survey done on Thursday - don't envy them having to wait over Christmas to get the results and their mortgage offer :eek: Also apparently the house we're buying is being cleaned by professional cleaners today - I'm extremely glad as while I'm not averse to a bit of slight grubbiness, there were cobwebs that I could have knitted with all over the living room walls, and I had to remove a dead mouse from the bedroom on our last visit :eek: :eek: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • marcosscriven
    Options
    Exchanged today (chain of three) having made an offer end of October.

Still waiting for some document from Barclays before we can complete, so time is now ticking to end Jan.
  • SimonW90
    Options
    We are purchasing the property from my Wifes parents, both using the same conveyancer but different branches/solicitor. They need a fairly fast sale as it is a second home and they want to also sell there original house to downsize. The conveyancers were very quick to reply when we were getting quotes etc...We received mortgage offer from Halifax on the 28th November, solicitor had already been instructed and paid disimbursments on the 27th as Mortgage Adviser confirmed we were just waiting on the letter from them. Told me they would start work on our case as I had paid the disimbursments and the disclaimer that I would happily pay all fees if anything went wrong (due to it being a purchase from in-laws, we aren't getting gazumped!)

Called on the 8th of December to let them know we had booked a last minute break away and to see how everything was going. Told me they hadn't received mortgage offer so hadn't started anything!, spoke to Halifax who were great and faxed it through to them there and then, I then rang them back an hour later to confirm, yes, they now have everything and would now start!

Called on the 15th when we returned, they were 'just gathering everything together so they couldthen send off for the searches, I was fuming and explained they have sat with money paid for them to start for 2 weeks but remained calm.

How long do I give it before I ring again? I know they will just now tell me that they are waiting on searches but I don't believe them at all to be honest, I know they won't do anything before Christmas and it's already causing tension with the in-laws as they have seen a house they like!
  • HappyLassie13
    Options
    Well, a success. We exchanged and completed on Friday afternoon. The other half was very shocked when I surprised him with the keys (he thought we were still waiting for Probate to come through)
    I was really worried that we'd walk into the house and not love it like we had when viewing. These doubts were short lived, as soon as we walked in, it felt like home!
    Now the decorating can begin, aiming to have it ready by the middle to end of January..
  • CommitedToChange
    Options
    SimonW90 wrote: »
    We are purchasing the property from my Wifes parents, both using the same conveyancer but different branches/solicitor. They need a fairly fast sale as it is a second home and they want to also sell there original house to downsize. The conveyancers were very quick to reply when we were getting quotes etc...We received mortgage offer from Halifax on the 28th November, solicitor had already been instructed and paid disimbursments on the 27th as Mortgage Adviser confirmed we were just waiting on the letter from them. Told me they would start work on our case as I had paid the disimbursments and the disclaimer that I would happily pay all fees if anything went wrong (due to it being a purchase from in-laws, we aren't getting gazumped!)

Called on the 8th of December to let them know we had booked a last minute break away and to see how everything was going. Told me they hadn't received mortgage offer so hadn't started anything!, spoke to Halifax who were great and faxed it through to them there and then, I then rang them back an hour later to confirm, yes, they now have everything and would now start!

Called on the 15th when we returned, they were 'just gathering everything together so they couldthen send off for the searches, I was fuming and explained they have sat with money paid for them to start for 2 weeks but remained calm.

How long do I give it before I ring again? I know they will just now tell me that they are waiting on searches but I don't believe them at all to be honest, I know they won't do anything before Christmas and it's already causing tension with the in-laws as they have seen a house they like!

Your In-Laws can offer on a house they like, they don't have to wait for you to complete, it just makes it a chain which is normal. If they also need to sell their house that they are living in to move then you aren't holding them up at all. (Not that you are now)
  • middy991
    Options
    all monies sent to solicitors now omg so close
  • Aliliva
    Aliliva Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Things are slowly falling into place: today I got the mortgage offer confirmation! And everyone seems positive on an exchange at the end of Jan!
    GC £~~/300
  • liquoricet
    Options
    Looks like we're also going to be exchanging/completing the end of January. Our neighbours have made their sale in Islamabad, fingers and toes crossed it seems to be coming together.
    Next hurdle us a survey/valuation witch as they're cash buyers 3 months in is irritating.
  • goodwithsaving
    Options
    After 23 weeks buying another property, I pulled out because the sellers were being...idiots but with a less friendly term! I then found another one which is only 4 weeks in and we're ready to go which is amazing given the time on this one, but have 2 queries left from the sellers solicitor. They've answered queries sent since, but not the ones sent first of all.
    There's no chain etc and given the emotional rollercoaster, having to break the chain before and sell my place.....I just want to exchange before Christmas so I can go into the new year feeling positive :-(

It's just so frustrating. We'd be there now if not for these queries that have been ignored. I'm exhausted and drained from the whole thing and just want a clean slate in the new year.

Sorry to whinge. I've stayed off this thread for fear of jinxing it, but I just have so much pent up frustration / tears. After the last one, I'm terrified of this going wrong. Doing it solo with no one to bounce off sucks too!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback