Is there anything I can do if my water company has changed the water?

Some background; I get my water through United Utilities, who were recently found guilty of providing unsafe drinking water to 700000 people, thus I've got very little trust in this company anyway.

They recently dug a pipeline that cost millions, on the request of the environmental agency to protect fresh water muscles or something (I know this because my parents have land the pipeline went through, costing them a tonne of money that they were never properly compensated for either). Now UU have started to mix my water from the lake they used to get it from with a new borehole in a local town (Egremont).

The water is now disgusting, I am covered in eczema because of it (finding it very difficult to prove but I'm trying), my kettle pops like it's about to explode when I'm boiling water, my draining board goes orange if water dries on it, and other people have complained about irons going a funny colour and illness from drinking the water. I have not been ill from drinking the water but the taste is not the same and is awful now.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do? I'm concerned that the water is going to make me ill, I have an auto-immune disease to boot so being ill is going to seriously impact me financially and with work. I've written a letter to UU and I'm waiting to hear back but I'm really concerned that UU would happily give us water with iron ore in it or something (old iron ore mines all over the area where the borehole is) or water that is unsuitable in some way and just deal with the consequences later.

I've also contacted them about why I'm paying the same for a product that is actually inferior than what they were providing a few months ago and going to cost me more in the long run (it's 'harder' water so I'll need more shampoo etc). Waiting for a reply.

I'm more concerned about the safety, and to be honest, I can't afford to buy a lot of bottled water and I'm not a fan of the environmental impact of it. Has anyone else had issues with this? Do I get in touch with the council? Any ideas on how to prove what's causing my eczema (100% it's the water but need to prove it)? Am I entitled to cheaper water now what they're providing is worse than before? They have deemed it safe, but as I said I don't trust them one bit, is there an independent company that will investigate?

Obviously I'm not the only person suffering here, but this is becoming a real issue, I just don't know what to do.


  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,034
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Try getting advice from:

    The Council.

    Environmental Agency

    The Consumer Council for Water
  • System
    System Posts: 178,073
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    If you are concerned about the quality of your drinking water you should contact your water company in the first instance.

    For general water quality enquiries or where your water companies does not resolve a problem with your drinking water quality please contact us using the details below. The office is staffed Monday to Friday from 09.00 - 17.00, with the exception of bank holidays.

    Drinking Water Inspectorate
    Area 7e
    9 Millbank
    c/o Nobel House
    17 Smith Square
    SW1P 3JR
    Telephone: 0300 068 6400
    E-mail: [email protected]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards