Frost Stats

Options
I moved into a bungalow about 2 months ago and am still getting to grips with everything. This morning the central heating appeared to swtch itself on despite the control panel showing as off.
The boiler is in the attached garage, and I do know that there is a frost control gadget fitted in the loft, so could this be what has overridden the control? If so can the temperature at which it kicks in be altered? Also, I have read that there should also be a pipe thermostat to work with it - what does this look like and where would it be?

Comments

• Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    On newer installations:
    A frost stat should be somewhere around the boiler and sense the air temperature. It will prevent the boiler from freezing as the pipe work should be insulated already.
    You may have an older set up or something diy?
    Frost stats are a modified room stat (at least Honeywell are) the control dial is behind a cover so the only way to set it is to remove the cover. Inside it may have an arrow pointing to an optimum setting .
    Boilers have,for some time, had a built in frost stat so all the above is not needed.
    HTH

Corgi Guy.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure