PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,992 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well I finally got a call from the estate agents today to say we have completed on our property purchase. This is the one we intend to rent out for a while before moving into ourselves. The EA said, don't worry, but the vendor has told us there's a grass snake in the compost bin....... Who knows whether it will still be there when we finally get to pick the keys up on Monday. Not what I had hoped to be dealing with on our first visit. We're assuming by compost bin they mean the garden waste bin the council collect. Don't want to do it any harm obviously, but would really rather not have it in the bin or the garden as I can't see it being popular for renting the house out! I hope it doesn't have a load of friends either. There's a pond in the garden.

Ho hum, I think this will be a 'blue' job.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 September 2017 at 4:34PM
    Options
    MarieMac wrote: »

I do have a question for everyone though, does anybody else find that folding things the way she suggests takes up a lot more room than 'traditional' folding? I feel like the bundles are just so bulky that it makes it hard to fit everything in my dresser.

Marie Mac what is it you are finding bulky ? I had misinterpreted the instructions and folded my hoodies but they took up such a lot of room in the drawer and annoyed me. I then read either on this thread or the 2016 thread that bulky can be hung. I now have a lovely row of hanging colourful hoodies and a beautifully folded row of denim shirts taking up about a quarter of the drawer space the hoodies used to be in. Joy.

I also have been letting things go. One was my much loved jacko from mid seventies. He was cuddled and sent off as he was doing no one anyone any good in a box in the attic. Got a lovely message from new owner that she always wanted one when a girl but never got one so now, at 63, she was buying herself one. I've now received pics of him all washed and clean (I was worried about washing him in case he fell apart) and dressed in jeans from Mr m and a stripy new tshirt (obv some of the marks were too entrenched) and saying thank you to me for allowing him to go off for adoption. Keep remembering and feeling a wee glow that he has made someone so happy. Hopefully she will keep him and regularly cuddle him for the next 40 years :T:T:T:T

Oh and sorted out scarves and let some go cs and some to bin. And reduced my 20 vases by a third, they are waiting to go off to cs and the remainder now fit in the shelf beautifully. I will return if I remember the other set of things I had cause to count then thin out. Might have been leather bike jackets (3 off to the bay of e) (that's just the unfringy leather ones and being able to get rid of 3 says enough about how many I have I think), might have been sets of playing cards (10 either thanked and let go, couple sold, several still kept for Justin, I know, I know).

Hugs to all who would like them

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But grass snakes are lovely! I can see renters might not like them ....

I'm almost scared to ask, but whats a blue job?
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I like grass snakes, ahhh

I don`t know where my energy has come from today, maybe it is because my mind is sorted and today I know exactly in which direction I am moving and what needs to be done wrt my potential house buying. I have taken two full loads to the tip but there is a good area where you put useful stuff for anyone to take and they do take stuff. I have filled up the car again for tomorrow and again full to the roof, I took a small greenhouse apart and that is going. Cs bag is starting to fill too. It has been a very satisfying day and I can see my garage being slowly transformed from a mess to a workshop. It hasn`t been mentally hard this time, I figure if I will never use it, then it is going, I am too old to keep justin
  • Eirlys
    Options
    Thank you, All, for your welcoming comments.

I had thought of offering china to Freecycle and to charity shops. Some teasets have gone and I hope will raise some money.
    It's china like Wedgwood Blue Jasper which just isn't popular these days. My lovely MIL had them all
    around her dining room "picture rail" and they looked great. They don't shoved in a cardboard box!

I have sold some items on e-Bay but it's such a palaver and firms won't insure china in transit. Guess it will be Oxfam though I do like to support smaller local charities.
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I imagine that if you photographed each piece you could make a lovely collage in a large frame :)
    The items themselves may sell at auction as a large lot? No idea what prices are like a d there is a big deduction by the auction house for costs. Usually auctions offer free valuations so you get a rough idea of whether it was worth selling them?
    Note to self - take Chinese teaset to local auction house for free valuation!!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,992 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    But grass snakes are lovely! I can see renters might not like them ....

I'm almost scared to ask, but whats a blue job?

Blue job - job for husband, pink job - job for me!

I've only ever seen a grass snake once before, I had one about 4 inches long in our back garden last summer. Only saw it because our cat was staring at it. Never had one before that I've seen in over 20 years here.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    Blue job - job for husband, pink job - job for me!

I've only ever seen a grass snake once before, I had one about 4 inches long in our back garden last summer. Only saw it because our cat was staring at it. Never had one before that I've seen in over 20 years here.
    Phew! I thought it was going to be a pun on "blue on blue", friendly fire and whatnot :rotfl:

Snakes and lizards don't freak me, but there are plenty of things that do!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MM007 My granny's Chinese teaset is on display in my kitchen. I had loads of very old teasets and after offering them to my 3 DILs I gave them to a local hotel that does fancy afternoon teas. They were delighted to get them and I have tea in one of the cups every Friday when I meet my chums.:D
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Grunnie, that worked out well then!
    Unfortunately my Chinese teaset is annoying me because it takes up space (some has never been out of the box I was given it in, but just gets shuffled round when I try to find a better place to store it). I need to find a way to move it on and it would be good to get some money for it but I think it was mass-produced and pretty low value.
    I have 3 things on my kondo list - this teaset, the dratted Large model boat, and the bulky sunloungers. I should deal with the teaset, DH is insisting on keeping the other 2 items .grrrrr.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport