PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not caught up here yet - working my way through the 2016 thread but it's bugging me ....... GQ why do/did you schlep a mug back n forward to your work each work day ??? Lol, cheers, catching up soon

Daisy
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    :eek::eek:

Oh dear god. We cleared the uni flat yesterday.

So. Much. Stuff.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Another bag to CS, stuff I decided to release last week, all delivered to local Age UK shop. However......
    We nipped into DIY store for necessary items and browsed wallpaper for bedroom (needs re-doing, is looking scruffy in places) BUT we saw a lovely paper for the kitchen. So...... 4 rolls bought for a project I didn't even know was on the radar :rotfl:.
    Heyho. It is 4 years since I did the kitchen walls and I do love an autumn decorating weekend :D

The paper is absolutely gorgeous and immediately sparked joy, which will make the effort (tricky, old, no-straight-lines house!) well worth it. As storage is very limited in our house this will cause some temporary issues though!

Have suggested to DH that i just do a feature wall in bedroom but, as he does not do the papering, he wants it all done. The trouble is the current paper is just so perfect for that room I can't imagine any other pattern. I offered to strip the paper and paint the room white (would be lovely and fresh) but paper he wants, so paper we shall hunt! Ooh, thinking as typing - I could strip it before we get any paper, paint it white *in the meantime* and see how nice it looks *for a while* ;)

New clothes - in the last few weeks i have bought 5 new tops. I have also released 4, so far but am planning on sending a few more on their way! I have now worn all 5 new ones on social ocassions and all have drawn favourable remarks :D

(Meant to say earlier, well done on the gardening Wort!)
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Posted my wedding dress off yesterday to an 'angel baby gown' dressmaker. (and on my 22nd wedding anniversary too!) - along with a bag of tiny white/ cream/ clear/ pastel buttons. :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Igamogam wrote: »
    DD1 will be home for the weekend - might try and persuade her to look at her stuff again

Well no chance of that......DD1 turned up on Friday night with table top fridge from her student days, 3 bin bags of clothes and shoes and 2 large framed art works............seems she has kondoed her BF of 10 years and is making preparations to do a 6 months winter job in another country............:eek::eek: I have asked why she brought the fridge and her answer was 'it still works' . Hmmmm might have to persuade her to give it away. Yes it can sit in her bedroom with the rest of her stuff that is obviously coming back........but does she really need it? So I am a bit:eek::(:eek::mad::eek::( at the moment as I still haven't heard the 'whole story'............when does being a parent ever get easy.....yeah I know the answer!

But on the upside...........2 more things sold on Ebay :)
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,992 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 August 2017 at 12:11PM
    Options
    Been up to the loft to fetch out some bits, dragged out 3 large boxes and been through them. One was mainly full of packing paper - recycling bag, lampshade - going to the new house in a couple of weeks in case we need it for tenants, roasting tray - also going to the new house. 4 cushions, 2 brand new silk ones still with the tags on, no idea they were up there. Are currently on seats in the back garden airing off, will take to the charity shop. Some other junk binned.

A box labelled 'loft' which I suspect has been in several. Opened it up to find a mucky deep fat fryer!!! I've never owned such a thing, OH says he didn't know he had it...... Must have come from his previous life.

A box of vinyl records I can find a home for, charity shop near us was advertising they wanted them a couple of months back. We still have a music centre that would play them, but they've been in the loft 16 years, I'm not exactly going to miss them.

I didn't find a load of spare mugs OH hoped I'd find. Ho hum, some stuff has to go back up (very small box) so I'll have another look whilst I'm up there.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,992 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Spare mugs have been located along with spare cutlery, so they'll be washed and make their way to the new house.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Lara
    Lara Posts: 2,880 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    greent wrote: »
    Posted my wedding dress off yesterday to an 'angel baby gown' dressmaker. (and on my 22nd wedding anniversary too!) - along with a bag of tiny white/ cream/ clear/ pastel buttons. :)

I did that back in January. Sent my wedding dress, my sisters wedding dress, my granddaughters bridesmaid dress. Makes you feel very joyful knowing you have done something positive with them.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am slowly trying to KM a "friend". Is that allowed? I have wanted to have less contact with her for many months now - I'm letting her make contact with me and I am not suggesting we meet up. Slowly I think it will happen.

When I met up with her a couple of weeks ago (first time since Christmas), I finally admitted that she does not give me joy and when I think about it she never has. I always found her a chore and hard work.
    I've been away, so I've just read this. I *so* wish I'd realised I didn't like a "friend" I had. Good for you for knowing what you want to happen.
    greent wrote: »
    Awwww :j congratulations on the anniversary!

My policy of *wearing things out and then pulling replacements out of storage* has worked well. A particular blouse that I took away with me on my trip has had the collar disintegrate when I washed it on returning. I've snipped up some nice square pieces for patchwork/linings etc. Same has happened with knickers :rotfl: except they get flung straight away :rotfl:

Huge amount of paperwork disposed of as I was going through my mum's papers - utility bills from ten years ago, monthly dockets sent with her pension cheque (in the 1980s!!!). I kept the P60s. I also kept the paperwork from when she returned to work in 1963, after having us - annual salary for a teacher was £770!

Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »
    :eek::eek:

Oh dear god. We cleared the uni flat yesterday.

So. Much. Stuff.

I feel your pain. I thought we were done but madam has decided to go back for a masters. Another year of schlepping oop north and back (to be fair, she comes home by train Christmas and Easter but still needs getting to and from Kings Cross because of her big suitcase
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure