PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• whiteguineapig
    Options
    AElene wrote: »
    I love the Marie Kondo method, I've bought both her books. I came to a bit of a standstill when KonMarie-ing the electricals as I need to get a lot of them taken to the tip and I don't know how much the council charge to come round and pick them up (neither of us drive and the items are too big to lug on the bus!).

But I want to get back into the swing of things, so maybe need to pick another category for the time being, and get the electricals (old breadmaker, coffee machine, etc) taken away when I can.

could you offer them on free cycle/freegle?
    we have had success getting rid of stuff this way
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Kondoed lots of the garden today - a huge spiky Mahonia, a laurel and another shrub that had gone beresk! DH dug over the bed and spread a load of our compost on it. Looks rather sparse now but will soon bulk out. Managed to Freecycle a clump of Canna Lillies too. Weather report is good so will probably spend tomorrow in the garden too
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • AElene
    AElene Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    could you offer them on free cycle/freegle?
    we have had success getting rid of stuff this way

I have never used freegle. I will take a look, thanks. The website for Freecycle in my area doesn't seem to work for some reason, I had trouble registering on that site. I guess there's also Gumtree but a neighbour of mine tried to sell her kids bikes when they'd outgrown them and said you often gets timewasters on there.

I'm just looking forward to being rid of things I no longer need :j
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am in tail wagging dog and cba mode but still things appear which need to go. Three heavy large stacking hand thrown and glazed bowls, into my cs trolley and bags of cereals as in flakes that I don`t like anyway and are aod. Ingrained and indoctrinated with MK
  • Chieveley
    Chieveley Posts: 418 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello folks
    Long time lurker, your posts keep me motivated. Thought there would be lot of new faces as Mse on facebook but up a piece about MK & a link. Followed it to the 2015 thread. lol perhaps they will scoll down to find new thread.
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Afternoon all - the last big piece of furniture left the garage last night - after several attempts to sell it on the bay of E and local FB pages it finally sold. Huge space in the garage now. The cash will be used to get the chimney swept, must remember to book it!

I kondod a few store cupboard bits and bobs to DDs when I went to flat sit earlier in the week (I had to be there to let a workman in) - they were very pleased to find a few bits in their cupboard. The cost of moving out and bills has finally caught up with them and their budgeting skills are coming to the fore.

I've kondod the apple juice (made from the apples from our tree) into apple chilli jam which is setting nicely and looks so pretty....I had kondod all of my jam jars but a quick shout out to family saw enough come in to fill.

Have a pile of paperwork to put on the fire pit tonight along with some wood we can't burn in the house so I shall probably have to kondo a few marshmallows too whilst it's lit.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you have a recipe for your apple chilli jam Pooky? Just been given some cookers and that would be just the thing.

As summer has all but gone I've been wearing trousers and t shirts this week that will go to the charity shop, they wont really make the cut for next year so they have been washed (hope I don't get judged for not ironing them!), I'll let them know that some will probably need to go for ragging.

I've bought a couple of summer tops in the sale today, I'm off on a 'hot' holiday over christmas and new year so they will be put in the suitcase for the holiday and then they will be fine for next year.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Done a 5 hour stint in the garden ,clearing a 3 foot patch!!!! Veronica and Kerria, which both run under ground then send up shoots, it took ages to pull all the bits of root out!! There's still a 6 foot patch to do! But my wrists and arms were aching, not to mention my neck. So I had to leave for another day.
    Had a shower and watched the rugby league final, which did not go our way. So I'll have a tired and disappointed dgson later.
    I hope tomorrow is as nice as today, as having a get together with family, and we may go for a walk first.
    Hope everyone has a nice weekend.:T
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do you have a recipe for your apple chilli jam Pooky? Just been given some cookers and that would be just the thing.

Chop the apples, cores pips and all and bung in a pan, put in enough cold water to cover and bring to the boil, keep them bubbling along for around 30/40 mins. Then strain through a jelly bag/muslin until the dripping stops (makes a nice clear juice if you don't squish the pulp).

For every half litre of juice you need half a kilo of preserving sugar, bung it all in a big pan and bring to the boil with as much chilli as you think you might like (I've just done 2lts with 3 chillis and a good shake of chilli flakes as we like it hot). It might need the top skimming off, I didn't need to this time....and boil for 20 mins or longer until it's at setting point (I don't have a jam thermometer so rely on when it starts looking jammy on the side of the pan) then decant into sterilised warm jars. You'll need to keep shaking the jars for the next few hours to keep the chilli bits from all congreagting at the top.

Keeps for a few years - not that it lasts that long here.

Pretty fool proof, if it doesn't set in the jars, tip it back in the pan the next day and boil again.

I love it with cheese, especially Brie and it's fab with gammon and pork.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    My DH loves chilli jelly on peanut butter in a sandwich...
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills