PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ohhh horsetail and I am thanking my lucky stars that we don`t have that lurking monster, bindweed is nothing in comparison

Yes. ok, allotment stuff again but I have just been kondoing veg out of two large veg drawers and ratatouille is cooking as I speak, this time, thyme wrapped in string, bayleaf and wine as well as tinned toamatoes. I have also prepped carrot, sweet red long peppers and lentils, already made the onion/garlic base and am thinking maybe some rosemary in a string tie. Soup for the freezer in another pan. PN on cooking for one suggested an in/out freezer drawer and it is working so well. Not long term food like raw meat but stuff to eat, so some of the soups will go in there. The ratat should make another 9 boxes, not too large and honestly I definitely have enough for the whole year, until june next year so winter eating is going to be very easy and I`ll be able to, at last, get on with my hobbies and stash busting
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    My potatoes were frosted earlier this year when we were away and couldn't do anything in time and the crop has been disappointing EXCEPT for the bit where we had a bonfire last autumn. The potatoes there seemed to withstand the frost and they have given us some lovely big scab free beauties

We have a woodburner so will try and cart the emptyings up to the plot and spread them on the bit destined for next year's potatoes. Trouble is, we have an ash can that is very heavy to lift if you put too much in so it ends up being emptied on the flower beds at home. Flowers are doing very well of course
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 August 2017 at 10:12AM
    Options
    Charly - sorry to hear your news :(
    silvasava wrote: »
    I have a holdall in the top of one of our wardrobes that holds unused sentimental things. There's a silver cigarette box of my grandfathers (no one smokes now and I'm last in line!) I've done a bit of research on the hallmark and discovered its solid silver - not plate. It has an inscription on the lid so probably only worth scrap. I know I wont use or display it (dont know who the inscription was from)
    I'm just catching up from a couple of pages ago ... silvasava, if you wanted to try to use this, cigarette boxes can be used to hold business cards, and/or cards of your own that you want to give out? Or even credit cards :)
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    Ohhh horsetail and I am thanking my lucky stars that we don`t have that lurking monster, bindweed is nothing in comparison

Ground elder here.......hate the damn stuff. Have resorted to glyphosate having spent years digging it out and smothering. Definitely knocked it back this year :D

Also digging out a white allium that I planted a few bulbs of and it has just taken over. Lots of people say how pretty it looks and can try have some. ......I instantly dig up a bucket full for them! And a plant with a small blue flower like forget me not.......not likely to forget it is seeds every where has huge hairy leaves and deep tap root.......name escapes me well not a name I can use on here:rotfl:

I don't have an allotment just a rambling cottage garden with a bit of a veg and soft fruit patch. Increased the size of a flower bed last winter in an effort to kondo yet more lawn and emptied the compost bin onto it...... now have tomatoes broad beans and a rather handsome pumpkin growing in amongst flowers......I quite like it. Proper old style cottage garden :)
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I just took a T-shirt off the pile and said to myself :'time to wear this one out', immediately followed by:'why???' I never liked it, it was a rushed buy, not my style, but it fitted and had the right colour. In its current state it can still serve someone else, so it's now in the donate pile :D

I spent the morning in the garden, filling a green bin with ivy, grapevine and love-in-a-mist. I've put a lady's mantle (from the parental garden) between the gladioli to keep the weeds down. The afternoon was spent hanging and rehanging my laundry on the line, to catch the bright sunny patches in between downpours of rain. It's almost dry now.

Dd2 has fitted five pairs of shoes from the stock in the attic: two pairs of sport shoes fit, one pair of ballerina flats are too small and in the donate pile, two ather apirs are still too large and back in the stock box. And I have found my flipflops! With dd2's shoes; what was I thinking?!?!
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,987 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Those that use freegle, what do you do when you have more than one request for items, is there a protocol? This morning I accepted a request and the taker cannot get here until mid week, that's fine with me, second request has come in and not sure whether to ignore it until item gone/not gone or to mail back advising her of position.

I love the fact that things can be re-homed and not end up in landfill, two things went last week, 2 more due this week and a couple more to list:D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not an issue I've faced on freegle, maddie, sorry. I've been offering a sofa frame up on our local freegle, it needs new webbing but it has all the cushions that were specially made for it. I loved that sofa in its time, its like an ercol (thought its not) but there's been no takers, and I've had to withdraw it cos I'm not around for a bit. Sad, really.

My KM focus has been houseplants, weirdly - way too many aloe vera (and I've given those away on freegle too, actually!) and a half dead money tree and a half dead spiderplant - I'm going to be desperate for room when I get some building maintenance done, so I have to bite the bullet with this.

T shirts - I've had a revelation. I have 3 t shirts from the late 1990s, which I still wear, very very cheap at the time, made from absurdly strong fabric, so they're still good. But they've distorted slightly, all of them, this year - the neck at the front now comes well up over my collarbone, and I can't bear it. I have a lot of t shirts packed away waiting to be used, so these are going off to t shirt heaven, with many thanks.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    maddiemay wrote: »
    Those that use freegle, what do you do when you have more than one request for items, is there a protocol? This morning I accepted a request and the taker cannot get here until mid week, that's fine with me, second request has come in and not sure whether to ignore it until item gone/not gone or to mail back advising her of position.

I love the fact that things can be re-homed and not end up in landfill, two things went last week, 2 more due this week and a couple more to list:D
    :) Hi maddiemay, what I'd do is message the other person and say something along the line: I'm really sorry but I've promised it to another person who can't collect til X date, if that fell through for any reason, would you still be interested?

I feel it's politer than just not responding, which might be a bit of a kick in the teeth to someone who might (for all we can know) have a lot of kicks at this point in their life. Plus, it gives you a fall-back if anything goes wrong with Person 1.

That's my two'pennorth, anyway.

I'm presently bobbling around at home, sorting out a few things, including the hell-hole which had developed inside my 'allotment rucksack' so I can actually find stuff in there.:p Will be heading out within the hour with the intention of spending the most of the day on the lottie, so am preparing flasks and food.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • SamsReturn
    SamsReturn Posts: 2,489 Forumite
    Options
    maddiemay wrote: »

Freecycle can be a pain-in-the-bum when people don't turn up and you tell others your items have gone. Must be a couple of weeks now i gave a lady bin bags full of old sheets & curtains she wanted for the Brownie group she runs, they were going to build dens. She was also asking on Freecycle for drainpipes for the Brownies to play with, i didn't have drainpipes but i showed her some new guttering that was in the garage rafters, which she said would be great. It took me ages getting up in the garage and getting the things down, and she hasn't come back yet, although she did say she'd need to find someone with a roofrack. I thought she may have let me know though. Not especially in the way on the garage floor, but if she isn't going to come i could have left them were they where.
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DD and me have finally put together her drawers... I would have liked to get them fully assembled but DD likes me helping her put things like this together... only took me a month to build up the courage as i hate jobs like this!

On the plus side her clothes are now housed in them which means I can now crack on with the other bits that accumulated in my room! The animals we are pet sitting for go tomorrow so I can bring down everything then and put on eBay.

I am also sat looking at the wii, does it stay or go? One of those things that was never set up properly s not really used.

Aiming for the 1st September to start a campaign to have the house, allotment and me how I want by the time I am fifty. The hard part of the challenge is I am one of those people who thrives more on instant results but just shy of five years seems realistic!
    Go get it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport