PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Monna I remember saying that yuppies who had burnout and got ME were bloody lucky they had time to be ill and didn't have to work to pay the rent... Gawd evidently heard me and gave me it lol - serve me right!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Hester I think whatever we get, we are still us underneath it, you know? I'm stuck as a stroppy 12 year old and will never change, because I quite enjoy being it. LOL!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Posts removed, no intent to insult, patronise or be superior.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh Lyn, of course I wasn't aiming anything at you. I'm so sorry if that's what you thought. I felt exactly like you do when I was your age.
    If anything I was regretting my own thoughts and attitudes before I actually reached the slowing down stage. I still can't actually believe that I'm the age I am. Unfortunately my body keeps reminding me.
    In fact, when I read in the press of someone my age I visualise someone much older than me. "Poor old thing," is my first thought.

Hester, Pickle is still in the pink, glittery, princessy stage. Your dgd is obviously an embryo goth. Lovely!

Mar, ME is not a punishment, anymore than Hester's losing her sight and her hearing is.
    It is just one of those random, totally unfair things that life throws at us. My heart goes out to both of you.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MrsL - didn't think you were any of those things. As long as you and HWK are fit and active whatever your age, carry on carrying on!
    I think at times my energy levels arnt what they were and then realise I do more than some people who are younger than me - age doesn't always come in to the equation but obviously health does and to a certain degree mental attitude plays a big part. All you chums have active minds (and fertile imaginations!) I feel it's each according to their ability rather than age.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Words are powerful things aren't they?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    monnagran wrote: »
    It is largely a matter of acceptance, and looking for the compensations of a quieter life.
    .....of course, this won't happen to them......
    To my everlasting shame I remember feeling like that...

I have picked some words to comment on and really am grateful for the reminders, I appreciate being well and whizzy now but also appreciate that life will slow down. I always want to shove that thought to the back of my mind, to live for today but being prepared for the future makes good sense, especially when, again in my own case, looking for a new home. I already listen to my body, always slow down after lunch, starting my day around 6am but resting and maybe having a nap, in the afternoon
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    The Pest person is coming back next week, and my youngest son is coming with his gun, his terrier, and his ferrets. So I'll lock meself in the loo with the cat and some sweeties I think, things are bound to turn to custard. :rotfl::rotfl:

If that doesn't sound like a script for a farce I don't know what would :rotfl:

Hester, I admire your DGD, at 7 she's found her style and that is lovely. Plus, it's a great style at that.

As for slowing, I'm only 40, but health issues started with b12 deficiency.... when I was just over 30, I could barely make it off the sofa. Then the memory went and I couldn't complete sentences. And the coordination, I couldn't thread a needle which I've done by hand for decades. When that was successfully treated, I slowly recovered, all was well and I carried on at my usual pace. Then the anaemia and sleep apnoea happened. And hello again slug me. I was already aware of limitations as we age, I'd worked in aged care for a time, but there's nothing quite like getting a taste of it for yourself. I'd often berated myself for not just getting up off my bum and doing something, but it was like I was living in treacle, and while the mind was more than willing, the body simply wouldn't. So, I reckon a fair bit of aging might be like that, and suck, but at least it beats the alternative :o
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • mrsmac10
    mrsmac10 Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Lemme give you a glimpse into my fabulous fun-filled exotic wild life.. The other day for example, there was some sort of kerfuffle next door. The RV and I are both dying - separately on our separate couches - so we just lay there and ignored it.
    Knock at door and in came the lady from next door up, she is separated from her hubby but comes back a few times a week to help him. His home help had gone to empty the bin and a rat had jumped out at her (she said at her but it probly hadn't.) She was currently on the kitchen table in hysterics, which would have helped enormously. Rosie said they didn't know if the rat was still in the house and would we come through and help look for it. I cheered up and decided I might not bother dying - and the RV went into shock. He does not like ratties.. :D
    Long story short, pest control man came saw and pronounced us all infested. We've to have poison put down and stop feeding the birds. And I love watching the RV gingerly creeping out last thing to get coal - you'd think Bruce Lee and the entire Apache nation were all out there waiting to get him, He does not like ratties :rotfl::rotfl:

Oh mar you have taken that in your stride. I would be like your neighbour. :eek: We had mice once DH dealt with it.
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 March 2018 at 8:48PM
    Options
    It was just meant as a joke. I imagined the mould clogging me up. I was laughing at monna's Thought for today. I had been thinking where is monna she's late. See we all worry about each other.

Of course cancer can age you 10 years in a few months, I did not have a wrinkle anywhere until I got the cancer. I'm not bothered about it until someone complains at me for getting in their way. If they looked a bit nearer and not straight over my head the would see me. You'd be surprised how many people try to get in the space I'm already in.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback