PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    MONNA I so love your quote today, it says ALL that is wrong with society at the moment and such a simple solution as a way to put it right! xxx.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Islandmaid wrote: »
    Hi all,

Haven’t read back yet, just popping in to say we are back from our little holiday, which was lovely - DH spoilt me rotten and bought me a beautiful solitaire diamond necklace to celebrate our 10 years together x

Lovely to be back though, woodburner on, soup bubbling away made from ‘fridge gravel’ for the weeks lunches and groceries delivered and packed away, beef and ale stew on and bread rising for the men to have with the stew.

Trying to ignore the fact I am back to work tomorrow after nearly 3 weeks :wall:

Hugs in advance, will go and read what I’ve missed now x

Glad you had a lovely time IM :D

I so would love someone to spoil me :o

Sorry to hear there are so many poorly :( ((hugs)) to you all and fingers crossed you all feel better soon.

MMF and Vjsmum...boo to rain. I hope the sun is shining brightly soon for you both. Have a lovely time you both so deserve a break :)

Burtha I was thinking about you last night, I hope you are ok and you know where we are if you need to let off steam x
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lovely to hear from returning travellers. Sorry IM that you have work tomorrow. It comes hard, doesnt it?

So sorry for poorly ones, the ones with the dreaded virus and those with self-inflicted poorliness You listening Hester's CHS?
    I bet you sound dead sexy on the phone maryb. FPK, losing your voice is an occupational hazard I'm afraid. I had many bouts of laryngitis. Now I thought that tablet would offer the correct spelling there, but no. I could have had arthritis or ladybugs, neither of which seemed appropriate. Anyway, when I had no voice and classes of up to 45 primary school children we had a very quiet classroom. I whispered to them and they whispered back. There was not the same effect with older children.

Karcher, when you make your visit I promise to spoil you. I'm not bad at that.
    I have never stopped thinking about burtha either. Christmas must have been so hard and she is so brave.
    Burtha, if you read this please know that we are still rooting for you.

It's freezing here tonight. I've had a hot shower and retired to bed with 2 hot water bottles, a hot drink and my book. The wind is howling so I will have to get up early to put the bins out otherwise they will be rolling around the lane scattering their contents far and wide all night.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,257 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Monna is your hot patch not with you?
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 7 January 2018 at 8:21PM
    Options
    We found a supermarket that was open and are now stocked up :T (I have deep rooted unease at having no food in. We grew up quite poor and, although we never went without, I was always aware of my mother's struggle to make ends meet).

We went to the main town where it was, indeed, warm and sunny and had croissant and coffee breakfast. It is very lovely indeed here, but our house is halfway up a mountain and so a bit cooler than the main town (24 degrees in town, probably about 20 here - sorry monna :)). Having said that, we spent the afternoon reading and dozing in the sun whilst dodging the odd shower. Tomorrow we are set to explore.

Obviously I haven't forgotten what has happened but have managed to invoke some yoga style mindfulness and just take everything in the moment. It has been good to have a do nothing day.. Had a panic when I saw that I'd had FIVE missed calls from an unknown but hometown number. I was mindful of Dorothy Parker's "what fresh hell is THIS?". Fortunately it was my auntie (dad's sister) thanking me for sending her a copy of the poem and the celebrants script as she is a little hard of hearing and had missed some of it - phew
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    Morning all,

I had a tough night last night, coughing etc. The wind was (and is still) raging outside, howling, knocking, blowing. Even the letterbox is tapping. Fortunately OH made it to work safely. He set off well before six. I'm working from home today and have already made a start.

Monna--I'm lecturing to a group of just over 100 on Thursday, whispering might encourage them to stop sitting on the back row :rotfl: Then again, when they see what I've got that might do well to keep their distance.

VJsMum--your break sounds lovely and I think you'r doing wonderfully. A bit of staying in the moment and just soaking things in sounds like such a good approach.

MMF (or should that be Lady MMF) how did the designer gown go down?

Right, time for a break and some breakfast.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    FairyP, I suggest you come clean from the start. "If you want to hear me, sit in the front. If you want to avoid catching something nasty, go to the back," should sort them out. You have 2 whole days sipping hot lemon and honey and gurgling with soluble aspirin and swallowing it. The only things I ever found that worked.
    Ah. You could gurgle I suppose, though 'gargle' was what I was after.

Floss, I should have said 1 hot water bottle and one warm patch. I was saving myself a couple of tapped out words.

The bins were put out an hour ago, while it was still dark. Still windy too, my dressing gown was whipped around my substantial frame to the great delight/shock/horror of a car load of hotel workers being delivered to Warners

.Plans for today are fluid depending on mood, weather, energy. The joy of retirement.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

He who buys what he does not need steals from himself. (Swedish proverb)
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I didn't put our bin out until this morning, fearing it might get blown down the road.
    Only wearing pj's I thought it's early, still dark, no one about, I'll pop out quickly only to hear 'good morning' from my neighbour :eek:
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    That's the kind of morning you hear the door snick gently behind you and realise you're locked out...
    Beautiful morning up here, heavy white frost on everything, snow frozen to concrete, brilliant blue sky and dead calm, Edinburgh airport reporting minus 9 earlier. I'm watching all the vapour trails in the clear sky and comparing them with FlightTracker lol that's how bored I am. It's the closest I'll ever get to a holiday :D
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Another one here thinking about burtha.
    I was tempted to scurry along the jetty in my dressing gown to get some coal in but decide to wait until I was dressed when i saw my neighbour getting off his boat with his dog.
    Karcher I wish you had someone to spoil you too, best I can offer is virtual hugs and a crochet blanket.
    CHS didn't get the painting done yesterday as he was feeling fragile, but he has done it this morning.
    I got very excited yesterday (no tittering in the back row) a new series of Vera started, unfortunately the tv signal was dire and the 2nd half was unwatchable.
    I do find the winter evenings long and boring, CHS tends to come in from work, eat his meal, strip to his boxers, adjust his package a few times and then go to bed by 8pm. Hey ho worse thing happen at sea.
    Chin up, Titus out.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure