PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Breaking News!

Our hosts are taking us with them to the Prime Minister's cocktail reception next week. We have just received a gold-edged personal invitation :beer:

I can hardly wait to tell my snobby neighbour back home :D :rotfl:

Good job I packed a nice dress (actually cost £4 in the Tesco sale 2 years ago but it looks good on and I bet no-one else will be wearing the same dress :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:). I did do a bit of a Gok Wan on it, tbh, altering the shoulder straps and adding an understated embelishment, so I may call it a designer piece?!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I hope you both find sunshine some warmth. It's pretty cold here right now.

At least you cannot catch my sore throat. I hope you get some nice relaxing times.
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    NM, hope your throat is soon better. x
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MMS, of course your dress is a designer label. Someone must have designed it and I bet it has a label, (F&F?) and you have made it unique.

The Prime Minister's cocktail reception! WOW! When you meet your snobby neighbours you'll be able to drop it, oh, so casually, into the conversation in your best Hyacinth Bucket manner.

Sorry about the rain and wind though. Apart from the freezing temperature you might as well be at home.
    No, I don't mean that, we can't offer falling coconuts.

We had a slightly more tepid review from the enthusiastic viewers of the house. Apparently I am on the list.

Really not much else to report. Perhaps when the day has aired and the mug of coffee steaming gently on my bedside table has been drunk, I will think of something to talk about.
    In the meantime I will hunt out a

THOUGHT FOR SUNDAY

and here it is.

If only our eyes saw souls instead of bodies, how different our ideals of beauty wpuld be.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Looking to be a fine cold sunny day at last, I begin to forget what sun looks like. Currently minus 3 but clear blue skies and when the sun gets over the hill it will be nice.
    Not that it's filling me with energy or anything. I'm still stuck in front of the fire with the cat and the laptop, doing nothing...
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    It's bright and sunny here one degree, but it's due to cloud over soon. CHS is supposed to be painting the engine bay again today but as he came home yesterday after a 'few' drinks with friends, considerably the worse for wear I don't hold out much hope that any painting will get done!
    My day, as usual will mainly contain housework and crochet with hunters chicken cooked at some point.
    Take care everyone.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    Morning all,

I'm glad to hear those who are away are making the most of it...rain, Epiphany and coconuts are not match for fencers!

I've also got my fingers crossed that Monna's viewers will gradually inch her house to the top of 'the list.'

I've had an awful sore throat for two and a half days now. It seems to be easing but I've now got some mild head-coldy symptoms. I took to my bed Friday and stayed there yesterday and will take it as easy as I can today. Fortunately I don't think I'll lose my voice--not a great way to start term, trying to give lectures with no voice. I'm hoping that as the onslaught has been so slow and mild that it isn't this dreaded Aussie flu, lying in wait to pounce as soon as teaching is back on full swing.

I've also been trying not to look enviously at the clear skies and think of the walks I could have had or thing things I could have done this weekend. I've settled for putting a load of delicates on the hand wash setting in the machine and changing the bed sheets. After all of that exertion I think I'll spend the afternoon reading and maybe brave a new knitting pattern if I think my patience will bear up to it. I've been sleeping as long as possible but I'm not a good napper. Honesly, I'm not very good at sitting still, but I've noticed that my illnesses are shorter and easier if I take it easy in the beginning. It only took me 34 years to figure that one out :o

OH has done all of the chores without being asked and has headed out to the gym. I'll make him a special meal when I'm not ill to make up for it.

Instead of offering hugs I'll delicately wave my handkerchief at all who need them. I'm sure none of you need what I've got.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    FairyPrincess, I've got the same sore throat. Woke up this morning (4 days in) and thought I had lost my voice but a hot shower helped and now I just sound rather sultry - much mockery from the family. Bad timing for me as DD1 completed on her first flat on Friday and the whole place needs painting before her furniture is delivered on Thursday.

She and DH are there at the moment but I have a morning's respite because I have to pick up DD2 when she gets home from her skiing trip. They had an awful journey there - stuck on the motorway near the resort for 5 hours and poor things then had an awful delay in Calais last night - nearly 6 hours delay on Eurotunnel crossings. They didn't get back to their friend's house in Guildford until 3 am so now she has to make her way home through all the Sunday engineering works
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    Oh Maryb that is awful timing! Maybe a flask of hot honey lemon needs to be in your painting gear.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,516 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi all,

Haven’t read back yet, just popping in to say we are back from our little holiday, which was lovely - DH spoilt me rotten and bought me a beautiful solitaire diamond necklace to celebrate our 10 years together x

Lovely to be back though, woodburner on, soup bubbling away made from ‘fridge gravel’ for the weeks lunches and groceries delivered and packed away, beef and ale stew on and bread rising for the men to have with the stew.

Trying to ignore the fact I am back to work tomorrow after nearly 3 weeks :wall:

Hugs in advance, will go and read what I’ve missed now x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family