5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

edited 18 July 2017 at 11:40AM in Old Style MoneySaving
11.2K replies 763K views

Replies

• villagelifevillagelife Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. Reasonable day at work. Had interesting discussion at lunch about a while range of subjects and everyone was included and nobody was talked down to. Don't think it will be the same tiday. Different people working.

2. Enjoyed my walks to and from the bus. Had a chat with a couple of people.

3. Long chat with my Dad. He seems happy at the moment.

4. Had a coffee in the garden. Lovely listening to the birds.

5. Had jacket potato for tea with Bolognese sauce from the freezer.

6. More raspberries from the garden.
  • Hopeless_CaseHopeless_Case Forumite
    948 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭
    mhagster wrote: »
    It's stayed mainly dry so far though big rain is foreceast.
    Not warm. I think it's called mild.

Today has been a mixed bag.

Woke to find stupid pension had been paid in and back dated. Good.
    Came home later to 31 letters from them . 19 for me and 6 each for son and daughter 2. I just sobbed and sobbed at the ineptitude and uncaring of a company. Dealing with numbers and not people. A letter will be sent. Such a waste of paper and postage!

Went to kitchen showroom to change something I was told last week would incur no charge...my person was off today and other person seemed to think I would be getting charged...I ain't paying!

A few bathroom showrooms. Far too much choice! It all melts my brain slightly.

Bought vacuum seal bags and soooooked up my Christmas cushions and spare duvets. They can go in loft.

Roll and slice sausage for lunch made by boy. Who also asked if I needed a hug.

Flooring lifted and taken to tip by boy. I cut the grass and chatted with a friend.

Vets. Hurrah! No more cone of shame. She's very happy with his tootsies. Still to wear boots when out and can work up over the course of this week to get back to normal walks as long as he's got his boots on. No charge! Hurrah for that too and still in credit and Haggis got treats for being so good :)

DD2 got an email to say her college course is being fully funded. Not straightforward as we've been out the country for so long. Very helpful chat with lady from college who confirmed that the amount awarded would pay full course fees.

Just popping down to friend/ neighbour as I'm doggy watching tomorrow. Get instructions:)

Made a curry for tea using up some scary looking mushrooms and RTC turkey breasts that had been lurking in the freezer. There is much lurking and I am trying to use it up!

Hoping I don't lose this as I had to run and bring washing in! Promised rain is on . Good for they garden.
    That's awful, so sorry :(:(

My 5 simple pleasures:
    - Visit to garden centre with DD looking at roses - the colours and scents were out of this world :):)

- YL rosemary bought for £2 to replace mine which died last winter. I think it was the waterlogging as that winter wasn't cold. Might have this one in a pot so I can control/protect it more, and try and get cuttings

- Watched Poldark

- Rubber plant cutting has new leaves on it :)

- Lots of YL goodies yesterday
  • LaineyTLaineyT Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tuesday pleasures,

Trip into BuryStEd for few bits.

A new summer dress :j have been hankering after this one for several weeks and had a voucher code for money off, after culling a large part of my wardrobe it’s good to have something coming the other way and I will get a lot of use from it.

Home and made some bread, mixture of white, seeded and rye flour, we didn’t resist trying it warm with a scrape of butter.

Record breaking cricket team, they are inconsistent if nothing else.

Watched the Hotel Inspector, featured a Uni City B&B
  • edited 20 June 2018 at 12:59PM
    Blackbeard_of_PerranporthBlackbeard_of_Perranporth Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 June 2018 at 12:59PM
    BoP is currently training up school leavers into the enterprise and how to make cloth at the mill. He is also on a Programme Review today.

More usual BoPiness in the morning.

MHAGS. Grrr. Use rule of BoP. Your end not mine!

Emergency Edit!
    Please make sure again and again and again! Fix your utility supplies. EON are about to rip you off with another hike! Make sure you get all you want.

Elect 3,300 kWH per year
    Gas 12,500 kWh per year (Heating)

Go to Your Stitched and get off the awful rates!

Remember my supplier, SP, allows in fix changes to better rates and WHD. the cheaper ones do not do this!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
  • mhagstermhagster Forumite
    3.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Early post for me . I have a chocolate doggy at my feet and a golden doggy at my side. They've both been vying for my attention and have finally settled! I'm watching my friends old girl doggy and it's been fun. She barks randomly at nothing so of course Haggis ,champion barker that he is, thinks he's missing out on something and joins in, so she thinks she was right to bark in the first place and continues! Covered in golden hairs instead of usual or probably as well as brown ones!

It's been a better day. The postie stayed away. Although DD1 hasn't had her payment yet so there may be cause to email again. I've told her to give it to Friday morning her time and then I will intervene.

Haggis had his first walk in the fields today for 2 weeks. One lap was enough for them both and son was with me as a just in case. Nice to be out dog walking again.

Had nipped to T this morning with a list ( though may have bought an agapanthus that whilst not on a paper list was on my wish list and it was RTC. They sing out summer to me ( actually they scream Christmas but wrong continent!).

I met my old neighbour and had a lovely chat with her. She was recently widowed too so it was 'nice' if that's a thing to chat with her about that.
    Then her old next door neighbour came in so it was like a mini street reunion. Then my friend who was my old boss came in so quick chat with her then doggy friend called to say she was heading to mine. Goodbye to all the lovely chatty people!

Made tablet but it hasn't set so I've kind of ( I hope it works) made a millionaire shortbread with it. And I have a custard cooling to make ice cream with the rest. Made meringues with the egg whites. I have friends visiting tomorrow.

Another freezer use up of RTC peppercorn chicken Kiev.

Managed in between dogs to clean bathrooms and Hoover upstairs.
  • mhagstermhagster Forumite
    3.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    When your guests give you 12 hours notice that they're not coming and you try and look in the bright side....deep sigh! If only they had given you notice before you nipped out for more cream for your lemonade scones to go with the home made strawberry jam! No worries...I don't want their stinky germs! Cakes a plenty at my house then!

Good friend had called to see if she could nip in when her daughter was at a nearby friends. So she had meringue and ice cream and strawberries

And sent a tray of meringues down to doggy friends when she picked up her old girl. .
  • FrithFrith Forumite
    6.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pleasures for today (Wednesday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast.

3) Was a scribe for someone this a.m. Did one of my putting my foot in it things this afternoon. Me "Oh, that little man isn't here today. The one that insists we do everything a different way". Colleague "Fred? He's my husband"

4) Great excitement chez Frith as smaller son has managed to take and pass his spoken English exam. :-D This has caused much anguish but his presentation was given to a (very) select few. He keeps waltzing past telling me how smug he is!

5) Popped to town for waterproof membrane to go under the forthcoming gravel (to fill in where the porch was), to Halfords for new windscreen wipers and to Sainsburys.

6) Very tasty tea of salmon fillets baked on roasted vegetables.

7) Watched Holby City.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
  • Mrs_Salad_DodgerMrs_Salad_Dodger Forumite
    2.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wednesday simple pleasures

Hot, hot, hot but with plenty of cooling breezes:) even my legs are getting brown now :D

Arrived at CS to find it closed after DSis & I had lugged two very heavy bags of stuff to donate :( but managed to find a couple of new cs people to take the stuff into their warehouse :T plus the new chap is in charge of collections so now have his number to arrange collection when we return from our hols :T:j:T

DSis & I stopped in the pub & sat by the water watching the world go by - She with a coke & me with my Chimay (2 bottles :D)

Visited Vape shop & DSis is all set up - I might go in again just to listen to the music - heavy metal but not death metal :D:D

MrT provided me with chicken breasts & my weekly magazine - rest of ingredients for dinner already in stock

Walked back home along the dockside & saw mummy grebe carrying baby grebes on her back - couldn’t tell if all four eggs had hatched :):D:)

Mummy coot is still nesting :D

Delicious dinner - chicken strips fried in butter with boiled new potatoes, the last of the green beans with a drizzle of olive oil & saut!ed the last of the mushrooms. :drool::drool:

Reading your posts
  • edited 21 June 2018 at 6:07AM
    Hopeless_CaseHopeless_Case Forumite
    948 posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 21 June 2018 at 6:07AM
    Morning - lovely morning :)

- My roses are just wonderful :):):)

- Paella last night was lovely even though a couple of the ingredients looked a bit old and frosted

- Brought loads of tealights home from work which we don't need anymore, they'll last me for ages :j, plus I found a little yellow plant pot I'd forgotten about when I got my candle box out to put the tealights in :j:j

- Realised that having a big box of candles is a total waste of money even if they were all YL - I always get carried away with the 75% off sales in January and buy more than we use :o - a lightbulb/candle lighting up in my head moment :rotfl:

- Found a big bag of decaf teabags in the garage (behind the famous candle box :p:D), which I bought for a visitor then forgot about, so I'm using one in the pot I make each morning to use them up, so we're only using half the leaf tea at the moment and I won't have to buy any more for a while :j (and we haven't fallen back asleep through lack of caffeine yet
    :rotfl:)
  • Hopeless_CaseHopeless_Case Forumite
    948 posts
    ✭✭✭
    mhagster wrote: »
    When your guests give you 12 hours notice that they're not coming and you try and look in the bright side....deep sigh! If only they had given you notice before you nipped out for more cream for your lemonade scones to go with the home made strawberry jam! No worries...I don't want their stinky germs! Cakes a plenty at my house then!

Good friend had called to see if she could nip in when her daughter was at a nearby friends. So she had meringue and ice cream and strawberries

And sent a tray of meringues down to doggy friends when she picked up her old girl. .
    Lemonade scones sound amazing! I'm off to google recipes :)