PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,145 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sometimes when you move house .... you just have a niggling feeling that a small box must've been left on the van.

At the time of being moved you just accept that all boxes are unloaded and they wouldn't have overlooked one ... but you think you notice 1-2 small items missing over time ... but don't want to then go through every single item in the entire house to check.

I had an unused set of pink flannelette PJs .... and I'm sure they are no longer present!

In the main I like PJs, but, being short, the legs are super annoying as they're always so long.
    When we moved here we managed to loose some boxes, no idea how as we did the move ourselves with a hired van. I think they might have accidently gone to the dump but don't know for sure.:o

I find Bonmarche PJs good if you are short as their standard inside leg is 27 inches whereas most places it's 29.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 12 November 2017 at 1:22PM
    Options
    Sometimes when you move house .... you just have a niggling feeling that a small box must've been left on the van.

At the time of being moved you just accept that all boxes are unloaded and they wouldn't have overlooked one ... but you think you notice 1-2 small items missing over time ... but don't want to then go through every single item in the entire house to check.

I had an unused set of pink flannelette PJs .... and I'm sure they are no longer present!

In the main I like PJs, but, being short, the legs are super annoying as they're always so long.

Or it may be removers with very odd ideas of what to nick:cool:. Dont know if you did your packing yourself? I had my packing done for me - and, fortunately, had unpacked it all pretty soon. Definitely soon enough that I knew exactly what possessions I had pretty much - so was able to spot that a bit of them definitely hadnt turned up my end. Rather more understandable why they hadnt (ie something removal men might well like to nick - and they had:mad:). Fortunately nowt personal and I did manage to get financial compensation from their firm for them - after a bit of an argument about it.:cool:

NB; I had peered inside the removal van to check that it was empty at the time (hence guessing my missing possessions were up in the cab - or consumed....). You'd approve of the reason for my certainty PN - as I knew exactly what spot on exactly what shelf in exactly which cupboard I'd had them prior to the packing.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh the perils of old age .... just went through to poke the chicken and saw something in the pot that looked like a bit of brown sludge ..."odd" I thought as I pushed it aside in a vain attempt to "do a bit of basting before leaving it another hour".

Then I wandered over to the box .... and in TIIIINY writing ... it says it's stuffed with sage/onion stuffing. Bugg4h. Tiny writing, didn't spot that. I'd never buy a stuffed one! Waste of money as you're paying chicken prices for a bit of bread!

Oh well....
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,145 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cheers for the tip :)
    I'm a 26-27, so that'd be good, price depending.
    I usually wish to pay about £6/pair.
    they are £12 just now but usually go on sale from time to time. There are sometimes discount codes on-line to:)
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've got a small easyio one, I find even that amount is too much to get through for one person but I do like HM yogurt. Made with Jersey milk sounds even better, I might have to dig it out soon.

Made three veg lasagne today no idea what they will be like as it was a budget canned food recipe. I will have one later with garlic bread and two for the frezer
    I think the sound of this using cans please can you share the recipe.
    Slimming World at target
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 December 2017 at 12:49PM
    Options
    Chicken turned out fine - it wasn't the stuffing I'd seen as sludge, it was one of the bits of red onion I'd sat it on.

It's come out as a lovely breast. Nicely formed, stuffing fully intact. I whipped it out and lifted it directly into a deep "takeaway" box I've got.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,416 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 12 November 2017 at 3:42PM
    Options
    Back to CFO after yesterday's eating out. I had battered fish, chips & mushy peas. Mundane but very welcome. Cooking it at home just does not give same result, especially the batter bit

I had some LO cold pizza later in the day once home. A CFO do for anytime meal

Breakfast today was bacon sarnie, no brown sauce this time, living on the wild side

A bitter cold wind, but sunny, luckily the Remembrance service was a quickie, then a cuppa, cheese scone & cake before returning home

Lunch was lazy bones cheese, tom & cuc sarnie

Dinner, I had all sorts planned, but now CBA and have taken a cheese & broccoli quiche / flan out to defrost on oven top. Some of that heated up will be dinner, with I think a basic 1950 style salad, lettuce, cuc & tomato, I may go continental and pop on a few black olives, currently these are skulking at the back the fridge

PS, getting slightly interested in the HM yoghurt, I used to do it years ago, not with a heater thingy, just in pots. I may look into this a bit more. Can you make the thicker Greek style or is that faffing & straining it?
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice re the chicken.

I have decided to leave it until next weekend.

I will defrost them all in the fridge for as long as it takes then poach them as caron suggested.

Thanks again:)
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    CBA lunch just now. A can of lentil soup with some bread and marg.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't find the energy to cook anything today. I had a really bad night and it has left me feeling totally wrung out. I've spent most of the day dozing on the sofa.

I have managed yet more toast and crumpets, but I've eaten the last of the crumpets :(. I had intended to go to the shops today.

Dinner will be beans on toast and maybe scrambled eggs to use a couple more up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport