PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,

My plans to have a pottering about afternoon went adrift, first off I fell asleep for 2 hours after doing my afternoon physio and then my sister popped by for a natter and a cuppa. So apart from changing my bed I've not got much done. Sweeping/mopping will need to wait until the morning - I'm sure my friends won't mind if the place isn't perfect;). I will make some shortbread in a bit as it doesn't take long and one of tomorrow's visitors love HM shortbread so it would be a shame not oblige:). I've just enough butter to make a small batch so at least I shouldn't end up over indulging on it:D
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Linda mc sausage butties, with HP sauce for tea :p
    Yum at HM shortbread CARONC :p
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    I will make some shortbread in a bit as it doesn't take long and one of tomorrow's visitors love HM shortbread so it would be a shame not oblige:). I've just enough butter to make a small batch so at least I shouldn't end up over indulging on it:D
    I love shortbread, but usually buy it. I don't know why I haven't ever made it. I once had some HM shortbread that a colleague made for us all when I was working and it was the best shortbread I've ever had.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I love shortbread, but usually buy it. I don't know why I haven't ever made it. I once had some HM shortbread that a colleague made for us all when I was working and it was the best shortbread I've ever had.

Mum's friend makes choc dipped shortbread.Too blooming good :eek::D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,317 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The lamb shank dinner was superb, better than any I've eaten out, mind you never been to the Savoy etc, but it was better than pub stuff I've had

Followed by more of my stewed apples & yoghurt

Now I fancy short bread, not something I have ever made or even thought about making. How easy is it? I loath anything involving rubbing fat into flour, I remember doing it as child with my Nan and thought it was a lot of faffing about even at that young age. Bung it all in a mixer I can handle with ease & possibly aplomb

Still peeing down here, staying in was a good idea today
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    edited 3 September 2017 at 7:08PM
    Options
    HM shortbread is just about the simplest thing you can bake, 3 ingredients only so no excuses.
    I've posted this before but you should really have a go.
    This makes about 8 biscuits
    150g plain flour
    100g butter (you can use spread or marge but it's really not as good)
    50g caster sugar (if you've no caster sugar use ordinary blitzed a bit with a stick blender or processor.)

I make mine in a food processor, where you bung everything in a whizz until it's fine breadcrumbs.

If making by hand mix flour and sugar together and rub in the butter until you get breadcrumbs.

Gently bring together until forms a ball, chill for 30 mins and roll out to desired thickness (I tend to go for 1/2 cm). Cut into fingers, triangles or rounds, prod (I've just been modded for my first choice:rotfl:) tops with a fork, bake in a medium hot oven for 10-12 mins. Keep an eye on them after 8 minutes you want them pale not brown. Once cooked cool on tray for a few minutes, sprinkle with sugar and transfer to a rack to cool completely. They'll keep in an airtight tin for at least a week. If you are dipping in chocolate, a good teaspoon of ground ginger add to the basic mix is rather good. Try not to eat too many........;)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    speaking as someone who rarely allows herself anything like shortbread - yep....it does have to be butter. It makes all the difference to have shortbread/other biscuits/cakes with butter as the fat imo.
  • caronc
    Options
    speaking as someone who rarely allows herself anything like shortbread - yep....it does have to be butter. It makes all the difference to have shortbread/other biscuits/cakes with butter as the fat imo.
    Agree except for sponges where I get a better/ lighter result with Stork margarine:eek:, but it really makes a big difference in shortbread:)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,317 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    HM shortbread is just about the simplest thing you can bake, 3 ingredients only so no excuses.
    150g plain flour
    50g caster sugar (if you've no caster sugar use ordinary blitzed a bit with a stick blender or processor.)

I make mine in a food processor, where you bung everything in a whizz until it's fine breadcrumbs.

Try not to eat too many........;)

Thanks, bung it all in is my style
    Just used up my butter so on the list next shopping trip, like the blitz ordinary sugar tip, I can handle that

Fatty Farway by end of the week, I'll tell the heart nurse it was all your fault :)
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    150g plain flour

If making by hand mix flour and sugar together and rub in the butter until you get breadcrumbs.

Gently bring together until forms a ball, chill for 30 mins and roll out to desired thickness (I tend to go for 1/2 cm). Cut into fingers, triangles or rounds, prod (I've just been modded for my first choice:rotfl:) tops with a fork, bake in a medium hot oven for 10-12 mins. Keep an eye on them after 8 minutes you want them pale not brown. Once cooked cool on tray for a few minutes, sprinkle with sugar and transfer to a rack to cool completely. They'll keep in an airtight tin for at least a week. If you are dipping in chocolate, a good teaspoon of ground ginger add to the basic mix is rather good. Try not to eat too many........;)
    Thanks Caronc
    I'll make some next weekend as a treat, it really is so good :D, and I need cheering up at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure