We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Best way to make your house smell nice?

2»

Comments

  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    yes I use Zoflora too. I like the Spring Bouquet or Hyacinth. I dilute some into a spray bottle and after I've washed my front steps, and they've dried, I give them a spritz so it always smells nice for visitors :D

    Another thing I do if we're going to have visitors is to fill the cloakroom basin with diluted Zoflora and let it out just before they come.

    I also use it to rinse and spray the bins and dustbins
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 38,271
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    What sort of flooring do you have? Sprinkling bicarb on carpets and leaving for a bit then hoovering (you can also add essential oils) helps for a while.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

    Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    I'm a big zoflora fan too - I'm very fond of the cinnamon one and I stock up in the winter to see me through the year! I find using it neat to wipe out bins is a great way to keep a room smelling fresh.
  • Serendipitious
    Serendipitious Posts: 6,453
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have windows open too, including all night (weather permitting.)

    But for a quick blast of something scented, I put a splash of fabric conditioner in the kitchen sink - with the plug in place of course - and add a kettle full of boiling water, it wafts very nicely throughout and makes the place smell of clean laundry!
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”




  • Thank you everyone, once again almost missed this one as I didn't know I need to subscribe to my own threads! It seems Zoflora is very popular so I will have a look into it!
    elsien wrote: »
    What sort of flooring do you have? Sprinkling bicarb on carpets and leaving for a bit then hoovering (you can also add essential oils) helps for a while.

    Thank you for this @elsien we have hardwood in the kitchen/lounge on the ground floor and carpet on the stairs and the two small bedrooms upstairs so I will be giving this a go!
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,580
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Please be careful about using Zoflora around pets. You MUST follow the safety instructions or you could harm your pets.
    http://www.zoflora.co.uk/pet-hub/pet-safety-faqs

    I would suggest thorough deep cleaning, including getting a professional in to do carpets, rugs and furniture. It is also amazing how much dust and dander get trapped in curtains.
  • p00
    p00 Posts: 824
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My son always freshens his car with fabric softner diluted with water and sprayed on the carpets and back seats. Smells lovely for days

    xp00
  • MoaningMyrtle
    MoaningMyrtle Posts: 1,968
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    last week i washed a denim jacket in ariel liquid and left it hanging in the hall to finish drying, it made the whole house smell lovely for a couple of days.
    A minute at the till, a lifetime on the bill.

    Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels.

    one life, live it!
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Fen1 wrote: »
    Please be careful about using Zoflora around pets. You MUST follow the safety instructions or you could harm your pets.
    http://www.zoflora.co.uk/pet-hub/pet-safety-faqs

    .

    It's a good point and I should think it would be the same for any disinfectant or chemical based cleaning solution.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,328
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    this old thread also has loads of ideas

    Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.