PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Best way to make your house smell nice?

Options
Hello all,

I am hoping I could get some advice. Now that we are in summer I've put aside my lack luster smelly candles till winter and I'm not looking to put them back out to be honest and wondering what would be the best way to make my little place smell nice. Not that it doesn't but we have two messy pups and I worry that I might of gone nose blind as they say.

What does everyone else use? I don't want a plug in (will use electric) and have no idea of something like potpurri will work.

Any ideas would be great and hopefully I've made sense!

Nessy

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Fresh air in copious amounts is cheap enough.

But if your home has that doggy smell, I would concentrate on a deep clean rather than a camouflage job. Start with your soft furnishings.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I agree open the windows and if possible clothes straight of the washing line ironed in the sitting room . I don't like the chemical smell of air freshners, I just open the windows back and front and hopefull a through breeze works a treat
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,049 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Another vote for fresh air - open doors / windows and get a breeze through.
  • simplelivingcottage
    Options
    Hello all, thank you for the reply's!

I already open all the windows for at least an hour even in Winter as I read it in an old Housekeeping book from the 1950's :). Rather a slight obsession of mine. I was more wondering about adding a smell to the house if it was possible, naturally.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't bother adding a smell, tbh; fresh air on its own (as long as you don't live downwind of a tannery or the sewage plant lol) should be enough. As long as the pups are kept groomed and are healthy, they shouldn't be a problem.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • hanb
    hanb Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    If you want a smell added, I use Zoflora (lots of different scents you can try) to wipe over the kitchen, bathroom and the floors and it leaves a lovely smell that lasts quite a while. I'll also sometimes just pop some in the sink with boiling water to steam! Bouquet is my favourite scent :)

Others pop it hoovers and all sorts to keep the smell about.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another vote for Zoflora. Twilight Garden is my fav. My tip is to add a dash to any water you use for cleaning.
    My DIL and DS2 left me with a very doggy smelling sofa. Febreeze did a good job initially but the smell came back. I added some Zoflora to a bowl of water and dipped an old towel in it, wrung it out well and rubbed it all over the noisome sofa.
    So far so good.

I have all my windows and patio doors open and a lovely sea breeze wafting through the house. Bliss!
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Fresh air is always best but another vote here for Zoflora for floors, sinks, bath, taps etc. If you make up a dilute solution in a spray bottle you can use it as an air freshener too. Available in most sms but it's cheaper in £ shops. Also make sure your soft furnishings and carpets are cleaned regularly.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Quite by accident after doing some DIY, I discovered that using the Hoover with its bag full of fresh wood shavings makes a great air freshener.
  • DianneB
    DianneB Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another vote for Zoflora here! They do one especially for pet odours called Mountain Air, got mine from the pet section in Pound Stretcher, I wash floors with it and it smells gorgeous. Pink grapefruit for the bathroom!
    Slightly bitter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport