Santander Business - Unathorised Overdraft Charges

I got charged £426 in unauthorised overdraft charges for a month period by Satander. The account was overdrawn for most of the month albeit for a small amount for most of that period. I've been struggling recently and wonder if there's any chance at all of me getting these charges back. £426 seems an outrageous charge. Can anyone advise how to go about reclaiming, any template letters I could use or further help appreciated.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,359 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Unauthorised charges are levied to accounts that are run without communication with the bank or just ignoring what the bank has said.

What discussions have you had with the business manager about the financial situation with the business?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • As a sole trader / one man band I don't personally see why it being a business account should differ. I'll crack on with it anyway as think I have case worth pursueing.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 July 2017 at 11:37AM
    mcfc_ctid wrote: »
    As a sole trader / one man band I don't personally see why it being a business account should differ. I'll crack on with it anyway as think I have case worth pursueing.
    I'm afraid nothing you have said indicates that.

Bank charges have not been "reclaimable" since the 2009 court case and even personal hardship case refunds are a goodwill gesture.

There are no template letters for charges levied on a business account because they are simply not refunded unless they have somehow been imposed mistakenly. If the charges are in line with their published tariff, then I can't see you have any case for a refund.

If I were you, I'd arrange a meeting with your Bank to discuss your business needs. If you explain that you have been struggling the Bank may be able to help in other ways.

As Dunston says above, the key to solving your problem is communication with the Bank not in complaining after the event.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure