We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Credit card junkie!

Options
2»

Comments

• debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    With regards to the back pain are you allowed to use deep heat? Obviously check with your doc etc and I don’t know what’s wrong with your back but the only thing that helps mine is deep heat.

Why not have a nice bath and relax with a book? Can you make a pizza? Do you have any ‘ treat’ food at home that you could have?
  • redofromstart
    Options
    well done on the 2lbs off.

the cold that is doing the rounds here is an all over aching one, hope its that and not an ME flare.
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Ask lots of questions about why the role exists, what their plans for future growth are. Make sure they have thought through what you will be doing - vagueness is bad as it makes you vulnerable.

Is the job more interesting? You could be building a good emergency savings fund with the extra pay which would offset the risk a little.

Hope this helps!
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Congratulations! Makes a lot of sense, even your concerns about security just means that you might want to build a bigger emergency fund.

So pleased for you :j
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What sort of things do you like for lunch? I am sure we can come up with some ideas.

have you thought about exactly what new work things you need so you invest to a plan? I spend most when I don't actually look to see what I have - my extensive jumper collection is a classic example. I buy jumpers when I am cold.
  • redofromstart
    Options
    I try not to eat grains, and OH hates bread so lunch can be challenging for both of us. I tend to have bananas and nuts and just not bother. Eggs get used a lot here for OH - have a look at lentil loafs and variations on that theme, the one i linked to on my diary is no use as it has stuffing in but you don't need the stuffing in. We used to have a cheese and lentil one until mr faddy got bored. Baked omelettes - onion, potato, whatever veg scraps you have, eggs over and then baked until set. Cut into cubes which works ok. Are you veggie, I cant remember?
  • Rachel24
    Rachel24 Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey Hun just a few thoughts for lunches for you. Home made soup, instead of sandwiches have lettuce wraps so get Roman lettuce and put whatever sandwich filling you'd normally have on that. Or quinoa with quorn and veg is lovely. Even if you make dinner and you make enough for leftovers for lunch the next day. I'm like you and end up buying lunches a lot. It's so hard to get out of it especially when you work in town and it's so easy to buy something which is more appealing than what you bring in! Xx
  • redofromstart
    Options
    CCJ, I have a masters and am not sure it has made a massive return on investment for me but I guess it depends on the job role. Its rarely an 'essential' but it gives me extra points on 'desirable' I suppose.

There are plenty of free courses that will give you the head stretch if that is what you are itching for. Have you seen the free courses on the OU or on futurelearn? Might be a compromise until you can fund a masters.
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Take that bikini back right now, and if you need one, buy one you absolutely love and that is worth being in debt for. Works for me - no more 'it'll do' in my wardrobe.

Maybe look at teaching evening classes at local colleges? Quite often they will fund the teaching qualification along the way which would be a win win. Would you qualify for any support for OU courses? I did a five year plan - knew where I wanted to be, looked at the barriers to entry and then worked back five years. Needed three years experience, prof quals and the masters as a bonus, and then I could show myself the investment was worthwhile. It paid off for me, but the the professional qualification was the key bit - although I enjoyed the masters more. HTH.

Have a lovely day.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,732 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well done on the new job.

You still seem to be putting spends on the cards and the debt free date seems to be creeping further away. Just a word of caution that you would be better off not using them and living within your budget. Apart from food and fuel could the other spends not have waited until you got paid? Is your debt £3k now?

I know you have a holiday coming up and that can put strains on budgets. How much are you saving towards that monthly?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure