edited 11 March 2018 at 9:59PM in Debt free diaries
Debt Free as of December 2020 👏

Save 12k in 2024 #25

Comments

• louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,523 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello, you'll get tons of support and advice on here. The main thing is that you know you have a problem and need to stop spending.

Create a budget and put £50 into it for those unplanned nights out, if you don't have the night out you can save it or pay it off the debt.

I've found that you have to think ahead - for example my son will need new school uniform next month so I need to allocate money towards that, my DP also has a birthday in August, so again I need to think about a gift.

Nowadays I don't buy coffee when I'm out, or sandwiches. I always take a packed lunch to work. I park outside town and walk in. I think long and hard before I buy anything.

Good luck
  • louby40
    Options
    It's only screwed on since spending a year reading these boards and realising things had to change.
  • Hiddenidenity
    Options
    As for not wanting to cut the cards up but then it's easy to spend on them. Best tip leave them locked away at home. Remove them for your purse, removes the temptation. Take them off any saved websites (amazon/paypal/stores you use online)

That way in a true emergency they are somewhere safe if needed but can't be used at the spur of a moment.

Good luck :D
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just read from the beginning, as you can see from my signature I have loads of debt. My advice is please get rid of your credit cards. It starts low but then slowly creeps up to a point that gets too much. Yours is still at a level that you can pay off. Mine started low and just creeps up. Just think how much better off you will be once they are cleared and gone. Sorry to hear you have been unwell and I don’t mean to sound harsh but I just don’t want ppl to go through what I am.
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done on he low spend day and sounds like a good plan to cut the cc up.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Well done on keeping to a lower cost lunch option. Cutting it down first is easier than going straight for removing it altogether.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • louby40
    Options
    I can’t remember the last time I used my credit card. It just doesn’t leave the house anymore. I’ve set up so many various savings pots now that I have money set aside each month for different things.

We cook extra veg sometimes on Sunday to have on Mon or Tuesday but then after that it all looks a bit sad. If you don’t want to be bothered with the prep why not buy frozen veg?saves loads of time.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    I am a fan of frozen veg. I also cook almost all veg apart from potatoes in the microwave. Minimal water, usually only a few minutes so I reckon it must be cheaper on the electric and I think they taste better.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Scott_Weiland_2
    Options
    Good luck with your journey Credit Card J

Have a look at this link just some forum little ways to boost your income.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/make-money-surveys

topcashback.co.uk

can be another small boost.
    Cashback Earnings YTD £46.04 Survey Earnings YTD £182.66
    "Always always train, be the best version of you that you can physically be"
  • redofromstart
    Options
    I hate the illness related spends, can't be helped but oh they hurt your pocket as well as your back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure