What happens re water/immersion if replacing econ 7?

Hi all,

I am thinking of replacing the heating system to electric radiators in my electric only, storage heated economy 7 1 bed flat.

However, what do I do about heating water? At present we have an immersion boiler that heats water during the night with an on peak boost to use if required.

If I switch from econ 7 does that mean my water will constantly heat all day this pushing the bills up?

Many thanks for any responses in advance.

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    You can stay on the ECON 7 tariff even without ECON 7 heating, and the water heating should remain the same, Why would you change anyway? Storage heaters are much cheaper to run
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 15 July 2017 at 11:26AM
    Hi,

yes would think so.

The electric radiators will be running on full price as well, unless you have a different system in mind.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    praline wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am thinking of replacing the heating system to electric radiators in my electric only, storage heated economy 7 1 bed flat.

I hope you haven't been 'hoodwinked' by the many adverts claiming to sell 'economical' electrical heaters. Just remember that a £10 heater from Argos is equally as efficient at producing heat as any other electrical heater.
  • praline
    praline Posts: 112 Forumite
    Thank you for the info.

My 4 storage heaters are 25 years old, 2 are not working so we need to replace the heating and I guess I have been hoodwinked!

Should I replace for new storage heating? We also wanted more control over heating levels and I wasn't aware that econ 7 was still cheaper.

We both work 9-5, would oil filled wall electric heaters be economical with econ 7 then?

Thanks again.
  • frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

oh gosh no.

They don't store the heat, will cost you a fortune to run.

E7, cheap rate only runs from about 11/12 until about 7/8 in the morning, the idea being to build up heat in the storage heaters, then slowly release during the day.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi all,

However, what do I do about heating water? At present we have an immersion boiler that heats water during the night with an on peak boost to use if required.

If I switch from econ 7 does that mean my water will constantly heat all day this pushing the bills up?

Many thanks for any responses in advance.

Your bills will almost certainly go up as you will be payng about twice as much per kWh used for heating and hot water (escept that small amount you may use for boost).

Rethink time ;)
  • praline
    Ok so the verdict is replace the storage with storage and keep econ 7. Which is fine but the electric radiators are so much prettier!

I m currently paying £130pm for electric so I've no intentions of making that more expensive!

Thanks all
  • praline
    I suspect that newer storage heaters will be more efficient than the old things I have.

That's what I hope anyway
  • frugalmacdugal
    edited 16 July 2017 at 5:56AM
    Hi,
    My 4 storage heaters are 25 years old, 2 are not working .

there's not much can go wrong with storage heaters, might be as simple as a blown thermal link, lot cheaper to fix than replace heaters.

Edit: you'll find videos on youtube.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Biggest failing of storage radiators is their bulky design, tendency to leak heat before it's needed and overall lack of storage capacity.

There are adverts about in the papers about super-efficient storage radiators. Without rigorous tests and reviews I wouldn't believe a word of it. Though in theory modern technology should be able to produce much better designs than yesteryear.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure