PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Expired tenancy my rights?

Options
12346»

Comments

• baldelectrician
    Options
    She did not appear to have mental health issues when she
    • failed to protect the deposit
    • lied about the deposit protection
    • lied about the repairs / lack of repairs
    • lied about the cleanliness of the dwelling
    • decided she saw you as a soft touch and thought she could walk over you
    remember (as others have said) this is appears to be an open and shut case

Do as others have suggested and apply for the deposit through court and the penalty. Then you will have some lee way if there are any deductions

The small claims are really informal- I have done it here for builders that don't pay and you state your case and they state theirs.
    The court makes a decision- it is like telling your side then they tell theirs.
    It's not Rumploe of the Bailey, it's more like Jackanory

You have the more convincing case- she is clutching at straws

It all boils down to one thing- if you let this woman walk over this you are depriving yourself (and your kid) of a few hundred quid that may just come in time for Christmas- the equivalent of 4 x the deposit [one refund and up to 3 x penalty]
    She will also try it on again and again

If you win you will be better off and she will be concerned her other tenants seek repayment of deposits (you could keep them informed if you win :D)
    baldly going on...
  • alleycat465
    Options
    Thanks for the continued support and advice. She does see me as a soft touch because I have been in the past for example when my boiler broke down she avoided me for 3 weeks! I probably called her once a day ish but a lot of people would have pushed harder.
    I know how lame I sound I just really hate confrontation and this all feels very confrontational!
    I felt a twinge when she mentioned depression, But my dad reminded me that she wasn't thinking about my health when she decided to do this
  • alleycat465
    Options
    Quick update, i sent her a letter in response. Basically disputing the costs she is trying to claim for. I've included a copy of the receipt for the deep clean my dad paid for when I moved in, stating that the property was in similar if not better condition when I left it to when I moved in. Referred to the original inventory for the other claims (she has a copy because I sent her one with my first letter) and saying in a nice way that the money I'm owed is not open to negotiation and she has 10 days to pay it before I take it further and I've also put 'my legal advisor has encouraged me to inform you of the penalty that becomes payable by yourself for non protection of a deposit, should this go any further' something like that, fingers crossed she pays up!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure