PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

selling a house with solar panels fitted under rent a roof scheme

Options

Comments

• iscamaid
    iscamaid Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    eddy, you are a star. thank you very much for this, you have been extremely helpful and I appreciate it. I have checked with Anesco and this is their response:

Good Morning,

Firstly, for clarity, Anesco Limited is solely the operations and maintenance provider on behalf of Homesun Limited. The lease was and still remains with Homesun.

At the time of entering in to the free solar lease it was fully compliant with the CML guidelines, however due to these guidelines being updated the lease is no longer compliant with the standard CML requirements.

In order to bring the lease into line with the current CML guidelines the homeowner will need to enter into Homesun’s precedent Deed of Variation. I attach the Deed and CML letter for yours/the lenders review.

Once happy, the homeowner will need to execute two originals and return both originals for my attention to:

Homesun Limited
    C/o Unit 9
    The Green
    Easter Park
    Benyon Road
    Reading
    RG7 2PQ

Once in receipt of both originals, we shall execute both, retain one original for our records and return one along with a certified copy Power of Attorney in order for the homeowner/solicitor to register at HM Land Registry. Once in receipt of a Completion of Registration certificate from Land Registry we shall be in a position to provide the lender with a signed CML letter if required.

Once all parties are happy with the Deed of Variation and CML letter please inform me and I shall issue an engrossment Deed for signing.
    Please note, no amendments will be permitted to either document.

they have attached a lengthy document to sign which after my stupidity of entering into this agreement I will ask a solicitor to re and explain fully to me. Out of interest I have checked and since installation approx. 5 years ago the array has generated 24159 kwh which if the rate is 42p a kwh has made £10,146 for Homesun/Anesco.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    iscamaid wrote: »
    eddy, you are a star. thank you very much for this, you have been extremely helpful and I appreciate it. I have checked with Anesco and this is their response:

Not sure why he thinks I am just making things up, lol
  • iscamaid
    Options
    Sevenhills, hope all goes ok, if you get the property with solar panels it sounds like you have a good buy. One thing you might want to check is when they were installed. They come with an inverter which needs replacing every 6-10 years, you might want to find out when it needs replacement as it can be a few hundred - though your electric savings will offset this as it is a one off purchase.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,451 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    Not sure why he thinks I am just making things up, lol

I don't think you're making things up.

You ask questions and I answer them. But you don't read the answers. So your follow up questions don't make sense.

If there's anything you don't understand in my answers, just say, and I'll happily explain.
  • Kinbobs
    Kinbobs Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    We are in the process of selling our house with A Shade Greener Solar Panels. Our biggest problem is the company not responding to our solicitors. Hope all goes well for you
  • cjmillsnun
    cjmillsnun Posts: 615 Forumite
    Options
    As someone who is buying a house that has the airspace leased (to freetricity) it has been nothing but a massive pain in the backside. Depending on the mortgage lender the lease may have to be terminated before completion.

Thankfully we are now with a different mortgage lender who accepts the plan to buy out the panels on completion.

Be very aware that some lenders won't lend at all on rent a roof schemes. Others will when the lease is to CML guidelines and others demand conditions on top of that.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • Kinbobs
    Kinbobs Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    We have solar panels from ASG. We are trying to sell our house. In the Deed of Variation they have put that they will charge to take the system off for roof repairs etc. In the original Lease and what we were told when we agreed to have them fitted is that they would remove them twice at no cost. What buyer is going to agree to being charged? Anybody had a similar experience?
  • Nigem_2
    Options
    Hello I have been reading this thread with great interest. I am in the position of selling a house with a roof rent system. I am having the same problems as other sellers due to the mortgage lenders guidance being different now to when the panels were installed I too have to have a deed of variation signed and then wait for the land registry to action this. I believe the solar panel issues I've added four weeks to my very long process already we are now on week 13 in a chain of only three people the solicitor is starting to lose patience with Enesco and that change of terms and conditions from when I first put the house on the market
  • D00gie72
    D00gie72 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    Just to add, I sold a house with "rent a roof" Solar panels in 2014. The first thing you need to do is check if your lease is Compliant with Council of Mortgage lenders recommendations. If you panels were installed in 2012 they may not be but that's not the end of the world. Our lease was started in 2011 and it was not CML compliant. We had to liaise with the Solar energy supplier and get our lease amended this is called a Deed of Variation. Once that was in place the sale went through smoothly enough - but we had previously lost a buyer as they got scared off by all the paper work. My advice is get any Deed of Variation done now before you put your house on the market. There will be buyers out there who will be put off by the panels - as they would of read scare stories in the press etc etc - and some solicitors would of come across issues with these in the past so potentially could put people off. However if your lease is compliant you should not have any issues and I would point this out to any potential buyers right from the beginning as it shows you have investigated and covered any issues in advance. Good Luck!
  • iscamaid
    Options
    D00gie72 wrote: »
    Just to add, I sold a house with "rent a roof" Solar panels in 2014. The first thing you need to do is check if your lease is Compliant with Council of Mortgage lenders recommendations. If you panels were installed in 2012 they may not be but that's not the end of the world. Our lease was started in 2011 and it was not CML compliant. We had to liaise with the Solar energy supplier and get our lease amended this is called a Deed of Variation. Once that was in place the sale went through smoothly enough - but we had previously lost a buyer as they got scared off by all the paper work. My advice is get any Deed of Variation done now before you put your house on the market. There will be buyers out there who will be put off by the panels - as they would of read scare stories in the press etc etc - and some solicitors would of come across issues with these in the past so potentially could put people off. However if your lease is compliant you should not have any issues and I would point this out to any potential buyers right from the beginning as it shows you have investigated and covered any issues in advance. Good Luck!

I have now updated the Land Registry with a Deed of Variation and made certain it is CML compliant. It took a number of weeks but hopefully now it is done we will be in a better position once we put the house on the market. I have approached my mortgage broker as my mortgage tie in period had ended and I now want a better deal. I have had several month of niggles trying to get a better rate from brokers, Skipton wanted a full structural engineers report on the roof before they would offer me a remortgage (I went elsewhere at this point). It does give me a foretaste of some of the problems I will get when I sell. Never, never again will I put up solar panels, either my own or rent a roof! I honestly would think that in these so called eco-friendly times it would not be this hard to try and go green.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback