Guide discussion: Should I repay my post-2012 student loan?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Anna_Mc_Kinnon
    Options
    TO ONE AND ALL   AND TO MARTIN TOO

WHAT HAPPENS TO SOMEBODY WHO HOLDS DUAL NATIONALITY BRITISH AND ANOTHER ONE    AND WHO HAD TAKEN A BID STUDENT LOAN AND GOT HIS OR HER DEGREE AND THEN DISSAPPEAR AND GIVE UP HIS OR HER BRITISH NATIONALITY/PASPORT NOT RENEWED AND CARRY ON USING HIS OR HER OTHER NATIONALITY PASSPORT AND NEVER  VISIT THE UK AGAIN

CAN THAT PERSON GET AWAY WITH NEVER HAVING TO REPAY THAT STUDENT LOAN ?
  • Anna_Mc_Kinnon
    Options
    THE WORST PART OF THIS AND MOST SICKENING THING THOSE PEOPLE IN THE GOVERNMENT WHO HAVE MADE THOSE STUPID LAWS  HAD 100%  FREE UNIVERSITY EDUCATION THEMSELVES

I DO HOPE THE LABOUR GOVERNMENT CANCEL/ABOLISH THIS    THE MOMENT THEY GET IN

AND SORT OUT THE UNIVERSAL CREDIT THING TOO ONCE AND FOR ALL.

I BLAME THE PEOPLE THEMSELVES FOR THE WAY THEY CAST THEIR VOTE AT THE BALLOT BOX.

SO CARRY ON AND SUFFER.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,975 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    TO ONE AND ALL   AND TO MARTIN TOO

WHAT HAPPENS TO SOMEBODY WHO HOLDS DUAL NATIONALITY BRITISH AND ANOTHER ONE    AND WHO HAD TAKEN A BID STUDENT LOAN AND GOT HIS OR HER DEGREE AND THEN DISSAPPEAR AND GIVE UP HIS OR HER BRITISH NATIONALITY/PASPORT NOT RENEWED AND CARRY ON USING HIS OR HER OTHER NATIONALITY PASSPORT AND NEVER  VISIT THE UK AGAIN

CAN THAT PERSON GET AWAY WITH NEVER HAVING TO REPAY THAT STUDENT LOAN ?
    Nationality is not a condition of repayment, why would you think it was?

Student loans are repayable for overseas, the slc even publishes a table of repayments from overseas countries that adjusts for the costs of living. Go overseas and not repay and it will be a debt and your loan account will be in arrears, so the debt will never be written off. Unless you can tell the future, you won’t know if you ever want to return to the UK.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • booneruk
    booneruk Posts: 302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I DO HOPE THE LABOUR GOVERNMENT CANCEL/ABOLISH THIS    THE MOMENT THEY GET IN

I'm afraid it was a Labour government who introduced tuition fees in the first place.
  • kaMelo
    kaMelo Posts: 2,378 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 December 2023 at 8:04PM
    Options
    Save your time, @Anna_Mc_Kinnon is a troll, or in their words 'A senior student doing advanced research on far eastern ladies who marry older western men'
  • KeepOnKnitting
    KeepOnKnitting Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I can now get a commercial loan at a cheaper interest rate than my student loan is charging me. I'm so tempted to stop paying this rip off and save myself some money. 7.8% is ridiculous.
    Save £12k in 2024 #29
    January take lunch to work goal - 13 of 19
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport