Parkinticket, someone has our numberplate

Options
13»

Comments

• peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Same place, same time? Why not hang around and get your own pics, may help. Don't confront him though.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 July 2017 at 4:09PM
    Options
    If the dvla have them down as the registered keeper they would.
    The reason a car is cloned is so that the original car and keeper is registered with the DVLA and the cloner can use it without tax, insurance and paying any fines etc., why would someone clone a vehicle then try to register it with the DVLA when it is already registered to someone else?
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AG47 wrote: »
    So I got another 2 red letters for parking violations this morning, both from back in May. Same place same time in the morning. Whoever this guy is, he knows he can park illegally and get away with.

I have lots of pictures of the cloned car, that the traffic warden took. I am putting them in a file together with pictures of my real car.

It's like playing spot the difference.

So I first rand 101 and they took my number, gave me a reference number which is not a crime reference number, and said somebody will call me back. Nobody has called and I have had no missed calls, my phone is on 24/7.

I also tried ringing dvla, they said it has to be in writing, so I wrote to one dept of the dvla informing them of the clone, and another debt I sent off my v5 requesting a change of registration. Apparently you have to have had so many violations in a week to qualify for new registration number, and I am easily getting that many.

The last ones I had were from early May, it took that long for them to write to me saying I haven't paid my parking tickets.

I expect I will have a lot more red letters and violations from May up to now.

What else can I do if the police still don't get back to me?

You've got a reference number, what more do you need?
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cajef wrote: »
    The reason a car is cloned is so that the original car and keeper is registered with the DVLA and the cloner can use it without tax, insurance and paying any fines etc., why would someone clone a vehicle then try to register it with the DVLA when it is already registered to someone else?

Ever heard of a Jerry?
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    Is there a way to leave your car in a secure place for say a week, while the Police National Computer flags it as stolen ?
    As soon as DVLA give you a new number, the clone will change. Now you have to worry if whoever cloned it, can track you down.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    Is there a way to leave your car in a secure place for say a week, while the Police National Computer flags it as stolen ?
    As soon as DVLA give you a new number, the clone will change. Now you have to worry if whoever cloned it, can track you down.

It's not stolen so that won't happen, it only needs an information report.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Op, might be worth considering getting some changes made to your car to make it very different to the suspect vehicle. If you document the changes, it might help in your defence if necessary - e.g. fit a tow bar, remove a tow bar, paint a big yellow stripe down the back, fit a big bore exhaust. The council should drop the parking charges if you can prove it wasn't your car, and the DVLA should sort the rest. Assuming it is a clone, they are unlikely to be using it in your local area, so might be worth keeping a record of where you've driven and when, for a while, as your car is likely to be picked up on cameras anyway, which may aid in any future offences you haven't committed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure